- Text Size +
He could see the kids in the pool from the kitchen window. He could hardly believe that the twins were five-years-old now. It seems like it was just yesterday that he was changing their diapers.

He also couldn’t believe that it had been five years since Nevaeh had passed away. He still missed her like it had happened just yesterday, but he had been getting better steadily and now realized that he wasn’t cheating on her if he started dating again.

“Daddy, come on, everyone’s waiting for the cake.” Gracie said. She had grown up so much these last five years.

“I’m coming Twinkie Pye.” He said using the nickname Nevaeh had given her so long ago.

She held the door open for him and he walked through it to the backyard where Brian, Leighanne, Baylee, Krisanya, Howie, Leigh, Jack, Jennifer, Nick, Ashleigh, their three-month old daughter Savanah, Kevin, Kristin, Nickoli, and their newborn daughter Julia, Nevaeh, and James were waiting for him.

The cake was cute thanks to Ashleigh; leave it to Carter to marry a pastry chef. She had made the cake in the shape of the number five. There were ten candles blazing, five for each twin. When everyone saw him, those who were in the pool jumped out and everyone began singing “Happy Birthday.” The twins’ eyes sparkled as they blew out their candles. They were excited; turning five meant that they could finally go to what they called “Grown-Up School.”

After the party was over and he and they guys were done cleaning up the “War Zone,” they went inside and sat with the girls and the kids.

James came over and climbed into his father’s lap and asked quietly, “Daddy will you tell us a story about mommy?”

They had never really asked about their mother. They knew she had died when they were born but he never really told them much about her. “What kind of story do you wanna hear son?”

“Was mommy happy about me ‘n Vaeh?”

His eyes glistening, he began the story, “Oh yes. She had never been that happy. Except for when Gracie was born. Daddy was away in Europe when she found out she was having a baby. She didn’t tell me right away though. The doctor took a special picture of the baby called a sonogram and mommy put it on her computer and sent it to me.”

He paused remembering the incredible surge of joy he had felt the first time he had seen the sonogram.

“At first I thought she was playing a trick on me. But when I called her she was really excited and said, ‘Nope Ajey, I’m not joking. We’re really going to have another baby.’ Learning she was pregnant made her really happy because when Gracie was born mom’s doctor told us that she might not be able to have any more babies. And that had made her sad because she always told me that she wanted lots and lots of babies.”

He paused again wondering what the guys and their wives thought because he and Nevaeh had never shared that little piece of information with any of them.

“When I got home from touring, (even though the kids were young they knew that their father was a world-famous pop star) I went to the doctor with mommy and that’s when we found out that we were gonna have two babies. Both of us cried when we heard your hearts beat for the first time. When you guys kicked, mommy was happy because she knew she was going to have two wonderful babies. The day you and sissy were born…...”

He paused yet again because he hated talking about the day Nevaeh died even though it was the day the twins were born. Or maybe he hated talking about it because of the fact that it happened the day the twins were born.

“Mommy was kinda scared. We had only had one baby at a time before and she was scared that we wouldn’t be able to manage two babies at one time. Then you guys were born. Mommy was the first person to hold you guys. She kept saying how lucky she was to have two such beautiful babies. But then God decided he needed another angel so he took her to heaven with him. But do you wanna know a secret?”

“Yup, Yup!!” they both said, because Nevaeh had climbed up into her father’s lap to join her twin brother.

“Mommy can see you right now. She’s been watching us all from heaven since the day she got there.”

Nevaeh and James turned their faces toward the ceiling, waved their small hands and said, “Hi Mommy. We love you.” It brought tears to Alex’s eyes.

Later that night after everyone had left and he was putting his children in bed, Nevaeh asked him, “Daddy, isn’t my name heaven only but backwards?”

“Yes it is sweetheart. Infact, you have the same name your mother did.”

“Awesome.” She said as she drifted off to sleep.