- Text Size +
He had never been more tired. He had just gotten back from shopping with his kids and that was something he didn’t want to do again anytime soon.

One of the things he still had to go back for were some clothes he had discovered James had thrown out of the shopping cart in the middle of the store for no damn reason at all except that he thought it was funny. He should have known something was up when James and Nevaeh started laughing. The other thing he had to go back for was to see if SHE was there again. He couldn’t believe he was thinking about another woman. His mother and the fellas would say that it was about time. He knew he needed to date again.

He went back to Old Navy two days later, sans his children, whom he had left with his mother. He was beginning to give up hope when he saw her.

She was bent over looking at something and when she stood, their eyes locked and it was like a light turned on in his head. He also noted that she was pushing a very small baby, who looked to be about 5 months old, in a stroller. But she wore no ring so maybe, just maybe he had a chance.

To his surprise, she walked over to him and said, “I’m Morgan, who’re you?”

For a moment he lost the ability to speak. Then he managed to say, “Alexander.” God, he hadn’t said his full first name in so long that it sounded foreign to his ears. “But please call me Alex or Aj.”

“So Alex, what’re you doing here today?”

“Buying clothes that my son thought it funny to drop in the middle of the store the other day.”

“He’s not with you now?”

“No, he’s at his grandmother’s with his sisters.”

“Oh. How many children do you have?”

“Three. Two girls and my son.”

“You and your wife must be proud.”

“I certainly am but I can only hope their mother is. She passed away five years ago.” He said quietly.

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. There isn’t any reason for you to be.”

He smiled at her and she beamed back at him. “How old is your daughter?”

“She’s five and a half months. How old are your kids?”

“Gracie is eight and James and Nevaeh, the twins, are five.”

“Oh, so they’ll be starting kindergarten? What school are they going to?”

“Yeah. They can’t wait actually. Southwest.”


He watched her eyebrows fly up and was amazed at how beautiful she looked. “Do you know who their teacher is yet?”

“Yeah, Ms. Potter.”

If it were possible, her eyebrows would have flown right off her head. “In that case, I look forward to meeting them.”

It took him a few seconds to register what she had said. “You’re a kindergarten teacher?”

“Yeah. I’ve been teaching at Southwest since I graduated from Florida State two years ago.”

He looked at his watch and realized he’d be late for sound check if he didn’t leave now. “I’d love to stay and talk more, but if I don’t get going, I’m going to be late for my sound check. I was wondering though, if you’d go out with me sometime.” God, he sounded like he had never asked a girl out before.

“That’d be great.” Morgan answered. “I’ve actually got to be going too our Devaigh and I are going to be late for her doctor’s appointment.”

She gave him her home and cell numbers and her home address and he asked, “What’s you’re daughter’s name?” just before she walked away.

She turned back and answered, “Devaigh Trinity.”

He paid for the clothing and left the store feeling better than he had in a long time.