- Text Size +
TWO YEARS LATER……………..

“Mommy, I sick.”

“Well Devaigh, you shouldn’t have eaten so many cookies, should you?”

She turned to Alex and James and said, “And you two shouldn’t have given them to her.”

“But she wanted them and she said ‘please.’” James told her.

“Would your father like it if you had eaten fifteen cookies within one hour?”

“No, Morgan.”

“So why would you think it was ok for Devaigh to do it?”

“Sorry.” He said before he left the room.

To Alex she said, “Really Alex, you should have known better than to feed a two year old fifteen cookies in an hour.” But she wasn’t mad at him, not really.

They had all been on edge for the past few days because Nick had told them that he and Ashleigh were getting a divorce and that he had found her cheating on him and she was going to give up her rights to Savannah and Xander.

Morgan had been heartbroken. She knew what it was like to discover someone you loved and thought loved you was cheating on you. She also knew what it felt like to have someone give up the rights to your child.

A little while later Alex took James and Devaigh and left. Shortly after that Nick came over looking for him.

His kids were with his brother Aaron and he looked utterly devastated.

“Nick come here.” she said and pulled him inside.

She made hot chocolate because when she had problems it always helped to soothe her.

He’d been crying again, she could tell. She handed him a mug and took a drink and a deep breath before saying, “Can I tell you a story? And show you something?”

“Yeah, but can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Why’d you give me hot chocolate?”

“Because it always helps me forget my problems, even if it’s just for a little while. I thought it might do the same for you.”

He just smiled at her as she said, “I have to go upstairs to get something, but I’ll be right back.”

She returned a few minutes later with the papers she needed to show him.

First she showed him the copies of the deed to the house she sold shortly after moving in with Alex.

“What’s this?”

“The deed to the house I sold a month after moving here. Devaigh’s father bought it.”

“What?!” She had never volunteered information about Devaigh’s father to anyone, not even Alex.

“I never married him, and I’m glad I didn’t. Please believe me when I say I know exactly what you’re going through. I’ve been in your shoes before. Well, everything except for the divorce.”

“You have? I didn’t know.”

“I was excited when I learned I was pregnant. I was kinda scared to tell Derick though. When I finally did, he was as happy as I was. He told me that we’d get married and raise the baby together. And he bought that house. Then one day I woke up and my world fell apart. He hadn’t been home the night before because he walked out after we fought. I knew where he was though. I drove to his brother’s house. His brother had been sent to Europe for a few weeks because of his job. The house was quiet until I reached the master bedroom. I opened the door and saw what nobody ever needs to see. I screamed and ran out of the house and drove home. A few minutes after I got home, Derick came in. I started screaming and yelling at him. I remember hitting him too. He left but not before telling me that he’d be back the next day.” She paused and drank more of her hot chocolate before continuing. “He came back the next day with the deed to the house signed over to me and with this.” She handed him the other papers she had brought downstairs.

Again he asked, “What’s this?”

“It’s the kind of papers you have to sign when you give up the rights to your kids. Ashleigh will have to sign them for Xander and Savvy.”

She let him ponder that while she got more hot chocolate for both of them.

She continued her story, “He left after handing me the papers and I haven’t seen or heard from him since.”

They sat in silence until he finally said, “Wow. Poor Devaigh. Are you ever gonna tell her?”

“If she ever asks, but I don’t think she will.”

“Why not?”

“Because even though Alex isn’t her father, he acts like he is. The first word she ever said was ‘dada’ and she said it when she saw him on t.v. When I told him he was like, ‘well haven’t I been?’ after he tried not to cry. And it’s true. He might not be he father biologically but he is in every other sense.”

“Wow.”

“I know, not many guys would take on the responsibility for another man’s child. But I guess it’s true what they say.”

“What who say?”

“I don’t know ‘they.’ But what they say is that anybody can be a father but it takes a man to be a dad. Or something like that. What I’m trying to say is that if you ever need to talk, I’m here for you.”

“Thanks.”

A short while later he left and two hours later Alex returned with all four kids in tow.