- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's some more for y'all! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own story idea! Thank-you!

Reminder: Anything that's written all in italics, is Nick's thoughts. And the "Interruptions" are Nick interrupting his own story.

“It takes a lot to know what is love. It’s not the big things, but the little things that can mean enough,” Frick sang.

“A lot of prayers to get me through (through). And there is never a day that passes by I don’t think of you,” Howie continued.

“You were always there for me. Pushing me, and guiding me, always to succeed,” A.J. finished.

“You showed me...” (All)

“When I was young just how to grow...” (A.J.)

“You showed me...” (All)

“Everything that I should know...” (Frick)

“You showed me...” (All)

“Just how to walk without your hand, ‘cause Mom you always were the perfect fan...” (Frick)

“God has been so good,” Kevin began. “Blessing me, with a family…”

Just then there were sparks coming from Kevin’s microphone. Impulsively, I ran towards him, quickly yanking the surprised fan away. We all watched horrified as our fearless leader, was electrocuted by the live wire, until someone finally cut the power to his microphone.

I turned to the girl next to me (I’d left my fan when I ran to save Kevin’s).

“Are you okay?” I asked her.

“Y…yeah…” she managed, as she began to shake. “Is…is he okay?”

“I…I don’t know,” I admitted, as paramedics quickly came on stage to escort him to the Hospital. “I sure hope so.”

She nodded slightly.

“Here,” I said, helping her to a safe spot to sit down. “Sit here and try to stay warm. I don’t want you going into shock on me.”

I passed her my stage jacket and hurried over to see what was happening with Kevin.

“Hey guys, is Kevin okay?”

“Did it look like he was okay?” Frick spat. “Hmm? Did it? Did it?”

“N…no,” I stammered. “I…I just thought they…they might’ve told you something they…they didn’t tell me.”

“Well, they didn’t,” Frick snapped. “And even if they did, I wouldn’t be telling you.”

“Why not?” I asked confused.

“You saved a fan instead of him!” Frick yelled. “He’s supposed to be like a damn brother to you, but you saved a fan instead!”

“What the hell you expect me to do, Brian?” I demanded, raising my voice. “Just let the poor girl get fried?”

“If it would’ve helped Kevin, YES!”

“You’re being an irrational, irresponsible, illogical, indecorous, inconsiderate, idiotic, ignoramus!” I yelled. (Translation: You’re being a senseless, thoughtless, unreasonable, disgraceful, selfish, asinine (moronic), blockhead!)

“What the hell does all that mean, asshole?” Frick growled.

You’re the asshole, not me!” I shouted. “At least I cared enough to help the fan, who’s supported us, you included all these damn years!”

“Also, you can figure that sentence out yourself, you ignominious individual!” I added. (Translation: you shameful [corrupt: wicked] person!)

We all left the arena then (I made sure the fan was being taken care of first though) and headed off towards the Hospital in hopes of finding any news on our father figure.

Interruption:

Hey again. Sorry about all those “I” words. I couldn’t help myself, seeing as they all popped into my head so suddenly. Well, back to what went on that day. Only interrupted to apologize for all those big ass words I used on him, to prove I’m not a blond-headed twit. Anyhow, like I said two sentences ago, back to that day…

At the Hospital…

A.J. and Howie comforted Frick, as well as each other, while we waited for any news on Kevin. I, on the other hand, was left to sit by my lonesome on the other side of the waiting room.

I just love how they all get mad at me for no apparent reason. Jeez. I did what I could at the moment. What? Was I supposed to grab Kevin and the fan, thus electrocuting all three us us, instead of just one. Also, it was not my fault that Kevin had a faulty microphone!

“Are you gentlemen here for Mr. Richardson?” Dr. Smith asked (I read his name tag).

“Yes Sir,” Frick answered. “How is he?”

“He’s unconscious at the moment. There’s no telling when he may wake up either,” Dr. Smith informed us, then he glanced at me. “It was a good thing you got that fan away from him. If she had’ve been holding his hand she would’ve been fried as well. She also may’ve been worse off than he is now, as she was smaller.”

I beamed somewhat. Finally! Someone who agrees that what I did was right!

“It was also smart of you to cover her with that jacket and to keep her talking so she wouldn’t go into shock,” Dr. Smith continued. “Her family greatly appreciates it.”

“No problem,” I smiled politely. “I just did what I though I had to.”

“Which didn’t involve helping Kevin,” Frick muttered.

How many damn times do I have to tell you, I couldn’t have helped him without making the situation worse?” I demanded. “Just be glad that he’s alive, alright?”

“For now,” he returned.”

“Whoa. Mr. Holy himself is having doubts,” I retorted. “There’s a damn first.”

Put your faith in God, and all will be well," I mimicked. “God works in mysterious ways. He knows what’s best.

Don’t you dare sit there and make fun of my beliefs!” Frick shouted.

“Funny how you believe them until someone you love gets hurt,” I snapped. “You’re such an egotistical fool.”

“I am not egotistical!” he yelled. “You’re the one who’s egotistical!”

“Whatever,” I shrugged. “I can see you’re not gonna listen to me, which is no big surprise. Especially considering you haven’t cared about my opinion for years now.”

“You may go in and see Mr. Richardson now, if you’d like,” Dr. Smith piped up. “He’s ready for visitors.”

We all got up to go see him, but suddenly Frick turned on me.

“I don’t want you in there!” He stated. “Seeing as you’re the reason he’s in here!”

“But…” I tried, only to be cut off.

“Dr. Smith, make it your personal duty to see that Mr. Carter is not allowed in there at any time whatsoever,” Frick ordered.

“I’ll see what I can do about it, Mr. Littrell,” Dr. Smith responded.

“Thank-you,” Frick replied, before heading towards Kevin’s room, with our two other band-mates at his heels.

Dr. Smith looked at me then. “I know you want to see Mr. Richardson for yourself. That’s why I didn’t mention that if Mr. Richardson requests your presence when he awakes, you’re to be let in no matter what.”

“Thanks,” I said with a small smile.

“In return of the favour, I’d like an autograph for my daughter, if you don’t mind,” he went on. “She’s a huge fan of yours.”

I nodded, as he passed me a pen and paper. A few hours later, A.J. came into the waiting room.

“Kevin’s up,” he told me. “He wants to see you.”

“I’m glad he still holds authority over Brian,” I muttered under my breath.

“Me too pal,” A.J. agreed. “Brian’s turning into the biggest ass of the century.”

“No shit,” I replicated. “And you’re just noticing this now?”

“I would’ve said something earlier, Howie too, but we didn’t wanna get caught up in the middle of this whole mess,” he said apologetically. “We both wanted to smack him upside the head to knock some sense into him.”

“I know the feeling.”

We entered Kevin’s room then, only to have Frick glare at me again.

“Why weren’t you already in here?” Kevin wanted to know. “I thought all my little brothers would be in here.”

“I would’ve been, if your one brother hadn’t been such an ass,” I stated, giving Frick an icy look.

Kevin noticed my look, and in turn glared at Frick.

“Brian, you’ve no right to keep Nick from coming in here,” Kevin admonished. “He’s my baby brother and is allowed to come see me whenever he wants. It’s not up to you to decide for me, who can and cannot visit.”

“It’s his fault you’re here!” Frick cried. “He’s the one who didn’t even try to help you!”

“Did you even try to help me?” Kevin rejoined. “Hmm? Did you?”

“No…but…”

“Exactly,” Kevin said. “At least Nick saved the fan for me.”

Frick sighed angrily then, and sat back in a huff. Thank-you Kevin!

Interruption:

As you can see, Kevin readily came to my aid that day, and I greatly appreciated it more than he’ll ever know. He too doesn’t understand why Frick broke up our perfectly good friendship over some girl. Don’t get me wrong, we all like Leighanne; well, minus me; but we all agree (except Frick), a girl ain’t worth ruining a five year friendship. 2000 was bad, but in 2002, Frick actually more than just mentally hurt me. Here, let, me show you…