- Text Size +
Griffin

Sipping from the glass of water she had poured him, he waited for his heart to stop racing, ready to beat itself out of his chest. He looked up at her and tried to smile.

"Well, my husband is still asleep – though I’m surprised, due to the pounding on the door – but when you’re ready to talk about what sent you to my home at three-thirty in the morning, I’m listening.”

He swallowed. “I’m sorry for waking you Cheri; it’s just that… what I saw…” He shook his head and took another large swallow. “The things I’ve learned… I just can’t believe them, that’s all.”

Cheri sat beside him and put a hand on his knee. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

The ice chinked in the glass as it shook in his hand. Cheri grabbed it and set it down on the coffee table, then took both of his hands in hers. She looked down at them in surprise. “Your hands are cold, Alex. Where have you been?”

“It’s raining.”

She began to rub one hand at a time, warming them. “What happened to you, Alex? You’re pale, and I can see in your eyes that you’ve just learned something you can’t accept.” Her silver eyes gazed up at him. “Tell me,” she whispered.

He gripped her wrist and looked away. “I found out who I am,” he confided.

Cheri’s hands stilled. “You did? From the look on your face, I’d say it’s bad.”

Alex closed his eyes. “It’s horrible,” he revealed, choking on the words.

Her hand touched his chin, guided his face back to her. “What did you find out? You know you can confide in me.”

He released a heavy breath. Would she still accept him as a friend if he told her? He shook his head, then rose and moved to the window. Rain lashed against the glass, as though fighting its way in. He felt her arms wrap around his waist.

“What is it?” she asked. “Is it that terrible that you can’t tell me?”

“You’d reject me when you hear what I really am,” he said.

“I would never.”

He squeezed his eyes closed. Here goes nothing. “I’m Griffin,” he whispered. He heard her small gasp.

The Griffin?”

He nodded, unable to bring himself to say the words again.

Her arms fell away. “Then… that means…”

Alex turned around. Cheri’s face was white with horror. “My brother?” she whispered.

He stepped closer. “Cheri, I swear, I’d give anything to change what I’ve learned about myself.”

Cheri moved away. “Kellen,” she sobbed. “It was you? You killed him?"

“I’m not that man – that creature – anymore, Cheri. You have to believe me.” He reached for her. “I swear, if I-“

“Don’t touch me!” Cheri screamed, dodging away.

Alex backed away. “I won’t hurt you, Cheri. I swear.”

Footsteps raced down the stairs. Then a voice, “Cheri?”

Neither moved. Cheri’s husband Kevin slid into the room, his black bed robe tied hastily around his waist, a black-bladed knife clutched in his grip. “What happened?” He paused, spotting the company. “Alex? What are you doing here? Is everything all right?”

Cheri moved to his side and clutched him tight. He lowered the blade and wiped at her tears. “What happened?” he asked again.

Alex took a deep breath. “You remember the message I told you about? That it would lead me to who I really am?”

Kevin’s green eyes pierced Alex. “What did you find out?”

His was the voice of a man who would do whatever it took to protect those he loved.

Alex swallowed, fearful of his reaction. “I’m Griffin.”

Kevin watched him for a few seconds, and then turned to his wife. “Darling, why don’t you go upstairs and check on Aiden?”

Cheri nodded, and then headed up the stairs without looking back. When she was out of sight, Kevin turned to Alex. “So you know who you are now.”

“You knew?”

He nodded. “From the second you and I shook hands when Cheri introduced us. You’ve been granted a second chance, Griffin,” Kevin remarked. “Don’t waste it.”