- Text Size +
“I can’t believe I’m about to do this.” Michelle thought.

One of her friends had told her about this ridiculous contest that she was about to partake in about a week ago. When Sophia had told her what the prize was, she jumped at the chance to participate in the contest.

The prize was two front row tickets to a concert by her all-time favorite music group the Backstreet Boys.

“Sophia talked me into this and now she isn’t even here with me.” She mumbled to herself.

The station dj called her name and she climbed the stairs to the makeshift stage.

“Now Michelle,” Ryan, the dj, said. “All you have to do to win the contest is keep you face in the ice bucket for longer than twenty seconds. Can you do it?”

“I would do anything to win those tickets.” She replied, and the scary thing was that she was serious.

She stepped into place behind the ice bucket and mentally prepared herself for the plunge. She HAD better win those tickets.

“Three, two, one.” Ryan counted down and she promptly put her face into the bucket.

“One-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand…” her thoughts slipped to Nick. She begun to think of the face and voice that had gotten her through so much, the face and voice that she had fallen in love with so long ago.

“Ten-one thousand, eleven-one thousand, twelve-one thousand…” her thoughts slipped again.

This time she saw herself sitting in front of him and he was singing, “Open up your heart to me and say what’s on your mind…” I Need You Tonight was her favorite song.

“Eighteen-one thousand, nineteen-one thousand, twenty--she’s gonna beat Natalie—twenty-one thousand.”

Right after Ryan said, “Twenty-one thousand,” her head popped right out of the ice bucket.

The crowd still cheered and Ryan said, “It’s a tie. Unless Natalie and Michelle are willing to take the ice bucket plunge again, they will each receive one of the tickets.”

Ryan wasted no time asking Michelle, who had a bright red face, and Natalie if they were willing to take the plunge again and both girls were quick to decline the offer, each was willing to say it was a tie and accept ONE of the concert tickets.

The concert was scheduled for Nov. 18th. That day just also happened to be Michelle’s 21st birthday. Who knew, maybe her dreams were finally going to come true.

She got home about an hour later, after she had spent forty five minutes in Starbucks drinking hot chocolate with cinnamon.

Sophia was waiting outside for her. “So did we win?” she asked eagerly.

Michelle and Sophia had long ago made a pact that stated if either one of them bought or won concert tickets for BSB they’d take the other along.

“Well…..” Michelle started.

“Well what?” Sophia asked getting antsy.

“I won.”

“So we’re going?”

“I’m going.” Michelle replied quietly, not really wanting her friend to hear her answer.

‘What?”

“It was a tie. The other girl and I both got a ticket. I’m sorry. I couldn’t stand putting my face back into that ice bucket. I still have brain freeze.”

“Oh. I knew you were gonna do this to me. I knew I shouldn’t have told you about the contest. I knew it!” Sophia replied angrily and stalked off to her car.

Frankly Michelle didn’t care if Sophia was mad or not, she was the one who had participated in the contest; almost had her face frozen off, and it was she who deserved the reward, not Sophia. Michelle was going to see the BACKSTREET BOYS in concert!