- Text Size +
The first thing that popped into Michelle’s head when she woke up was, “I’m going to the concert tonight!!!” She didn’t even think about the fact that it was her birthday, that she was finally old enough to drink.

As she stood under the shower head after eating breakfast she let herself dwell on the fact that it was now exactly three weeks ago that she had broken up with Tom. She still couldn’t believe that he had been cheating on her and with Sophia no less.

She had told her producer, Jaxon Mastriani that she wasn’t coming in today. Jaxon had just laughed. He had already known the reason because aside from participating in the contest Michelle and Jaxon had covered the contest for the radio station they worked for. He had told her, “That’s fine. I could use a day off and besides you deserve it.” He knew all about the whole Sophia/Tom thing.

She was pampering herself that day. She was going to get a massage first. Then she was going to get a manicure and her nails done. Finally she had an appointment with her hairstylist.

For the rest of the day Michelle sat around her house alternating between reading, writing, working on the questions for her Britney interview in two days, and thinking about what she was going to say in her review of the concert the next day on her show.

She left her house at 5 pm. It would take her about an hour to reach the venue. The concert didn’t start until 8 pm but she had managed to get a ticket to the sound check party.

She had elected to wear jeans, in which she felt the most relaxed and they were made for short people, they had worn knees and frayed cuffs, and she had embroidered the words ‘Nick Carter’ on the back pockets. Her t-shirt was one she had bought a few days ago that said, “Brunettes: Because somebody has to be smart.”

At the last minute, just moments before she left the house she changed her t-shirt into something more comfortable.

She was nervous beyond all reason even though she knew she had no reason to be. She knew the guys were all wonderful people, but she still couldn’t shake the feeling that something was about to change.

She had a BSB cd on at full blast when she pulled into the venue parking lot. She checked her hair and makeup, suppressed the urge to scream at the top of her lungs and got out of her car.

Michelle headed over to the area when sound check was being held. A security guard took her ticket, placed a wristband on her wrist and let her in.

When the guys came out on stage a few minutes later she began snapping pictures.

They played around a bit before becoming serious. Halfway through “Siberia” Baylee came running out on stage. He was quickly followed by Leighanne who tried to get him off stage. Brian stopped her and gave Baylee a microphone and the little boy began singing along with his daddy and the guys.

The sound check party ended at 7:15 pm. There was forty five minutes to kill before the concert started.

After everyone had left she sat back down with her back to the stage and began crying.

After a few minutes she heard, “Excuse me, are you all right?”

She wiped her eyes before turning to face the person who had spoken. “Yeah I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? You look don’t look like it, you were crying.”

“So I’m a little bit sad. You would be too if you were in my shoes.” She retorted.

The minute the words flew out of her mouth she knew she’d regret them.

“Why would I be sad?” He asked.

“Because.”

“Because why?” he pushed.

“Because….because…I don’t know.” She said before dissolving completely into tears again.

The guy sat down next to her and put his arm around her shoulders. “Come on. Tell me what’s got you crying. Please I hate seeing girls cry. I really do. I promise I won’t laugh or say anything stupid.”

She wiped her eyes again and said simply, “Sophia and Tom.”

He asked, “And they are?”

“My so-called “best” friend and my ex-boyfriend.”

“And how’ve they gotten you into such a state”

“For weeks Sophia had been going on and on and on about this guy she had started seeing. She also told me about how much she wanted to sleep with him and about how he didn’t want too. She said she thought he was seeing another person. It turns out he was…me. Tom is an ass. He cheated on me with my best friend.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You have no reason to be but thanks. I’m Michelle by the way. You can call me Elle, everyone does.”

“Well hello Elle, I’m Nick.”

She looked at him and it hit her. She was talking to Nick Carter.

Finally she said, “It’s nice to meet you.”

He opened his mouth to speak but someone interrupted him by yelling, “Carter!! There you are. Let’s go. You need to get to hair and makeup. NOW!”

“Calm down Tony. I forgot to take Helga back with me so I came to get her.” He said indicating the guitar he held in his right hand.

Tony walked off and Nick said, “I think I may have a way to cheer you up.”

“Right now I doubt that. But you’re welcome to try.”

“Okay. What’s your favorite BSB song?”

“Number 5 from Millennium.” She said without a moment’s hesitation.

He stood helping her up as he went. “I’d better get back there or they’re gonna send Tony back. Number 5 huh?? I love that one too. I’ll see you soon.”

“I’ll see you soon.” She replied, knowing full well that it wasn’t likely they’d ever see one another again.

He walked off and she headed toward the venue doors to get inside and take her seat.