- Text Size +
A boy. They were having a baby boy. Nick was going to be deliriously happy when she told him.

Instead of going to her scheduled lunch date with Breeanya, who was in Los Angeles for a few weeks, she canceled and went to the studio where the guys were recording that day.

“Michelle, you’re absolutely glowing!” Max crooned.

“You would be too if you had spent the morning throwing up,” she replied.

“Still happening then?”

“As always,” she smiled and hugged him. “Are they terribly busy?”

“Actually they’re arguing”

She walked to the board, pressed a button and said, “Nick, we’re having a boy,” and released the button.

Immediately the bickering stopped and Nick said,” What?” Well he mouthed the word since the booth was sound proof unless the button was pressed.

She mouthed back, “B.O.Y,” and pointed to her now-noticeable baby bump.

You could tell he and the others understood what she was saying because all of a sudden the four men looked as though they had just gotten the news that their favorite football team had won the Super Bowl.

Nick came rushing out of the booth and hugged her as hard as he could without hurting her. “We’re really having a boy?”

“Yeah, I’ll show you the sonograms when you get home. Right now you need to get back to work and no more fighting or I won’t tell you the name I’ve got picked out.”

“You’ve got a name already? You’re not due for another four months.”

“I know, but do you remember how fast I had the wedding planned?”

“What does our wedding have to do with you having a baby name ready four months in advance?”

“This: I already had the wedding planned. Actually I’d had it planned for almost six months before you proposed, which, beside the wedding date, was all I was waiting for. I’ve had baby names picked out since my baby brothers were born.”

“Do I get a say in the names of our children at all?” he asked.

“Maybe. I’ll tell you when you get home. Now get back to work, you can practically see Max’s eyes popping out of his head because of the time you’re wasting talking to me.”

He kissed her, turned her loose and waited until she left the room before returning to the booth to get back to work.
*~*~*~*~*

“I’m home!” Nick yelled as he walked into the living room.

“I’m in the kitchen!” Michelle yelled back.

She had been preparing dinner (homemade pizza, breadsticks, and a salad) since she had gotten home that afternoon. She’d left the studio at twelve thirty and after grabbing some lunch at McDonalds she driven downtown. She hadn’t been able to resist the baby boutiques she’d driven past. She’d backtracked to the first one she passed and began shopping for her son.

Seeing that Michelle was entranced while tossing a salad, he snuck up behind her, put his arms around her waist and squeezed her.

“Nick!” she exclaimed as she dropped the salad tongs. “You scared me.”

“I’m sorry; I won’t do it again.” He waited about three seconds before adding, “NOT!” and collapsing into a fit of giggles.

“How much work did you guys get done after I left?” she asked.

“We finished the last three songs. Now all we’ve got to do is choose the album songs, a release date and we’re done.”

“Baby that’s awesome, congratulations.”

“Thanks. Brian says to tell you congrats on the boy as do the rest of the guys. Oh and Leighanne, Ana, and Leigh say that they’re planning your baby shower as we speak.”

“I knew they would. Now go wash up, dinner’s almost done.”

“Yes mommy,” Nick saluted ash he walked down the hall to their bedroom.

She set the salad bowl down on the table beside the breadsticks and went to get the pizza.

Everything was in place when Nick returned a few minutes later. On his plate was a white box neatly wrapped in pale blue wrapping paper.

“What’s this?” he asked.

“Just open it,” Michelle gave as her answer. “I did a little shopping after I left and thought you’d like that.”

He plucked the bow off and placed it on top of her head; the brightness of the yellow bow a contrast to the black of her maternity suit. He then carefully unwrapped his present. He opened the box to reveal a darkly stained wooden picture frame that held an eight by ten enlarged photograph of their baby’s sonogram.

When he looked up at her he had tears in his eyes. “It’s beautiful, thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now let’s eat.”

When they were finished Nick said, “Since you cooked, I’ll clean up. You go and relax.’

“Mmmmmmkay, I’ll be….around,” she practically skipped off.

Michelle ended up soaking in a bubble bath and remained there for an hour until Nick came to retrieve her.

“What is it about bubble baths that make women fall asleep? My sisters used to do it all the time when we were younger.”

“I don’t know. Relaxation I guess. All the peace and quiet allows our brain to turn off.”

“Interesting. I wonder if we could get Aj into a bubble bath long enough to make his brain turn off.”

“You don’t need a bubble bath for that. Just parade a pretty girl in front of him and he’s gone.”

“Yeah but that hasn’t worked since he got married.”

“Then bubble baths probably won’t work anymore either.”

“Enough about Aj while you’re in the bathtub,” Nick said.

“Ok then. Shall we talk about Brian? Howie maybe? No I know! Aaron!!” Michelle replied laughing.

“Whatever, just get out of the tub and come watch a movie with me,” he said as he walked out of the bathroom.

“Okay!” she stood up and turned the shower on to rinse the bubbles off as she drained the tub. She dried herself off and dressed in her most comfortable pajamas and joined Nick.

They spent the night on the couch watching movies and drinking hot cocoa.