- Text Size +
“Michelle get down here now!” Brandon yelled.

“Nick? I’m sorry I’ve gotta go. I have to see why my brother is yelling at me.”

“That’s fine. We’ll talk later okay?”

“Sure. Bye.”

They hung up and Michelle slowly walked descended the stairs, silently cursing her brother for interrupting her phone call.

“What Brandon?”

“Who’s this?” he asked shoving a picture cut from a magazine under her nose.

She took it from him and looked at it. It took her a minute or so to figure out what it was she was actually looking at. When she did, it hit her full force. “Oh my gosh.” She said as she sat down on her couch.

“I repeat, who is it?”

“Relax Brandon, its Nick.”

“And who is that?”

“Do you really have to ask that?”

“Yes, yes I do.”

“Brandon really.”

“When was this taken?” he asked indicating the picture in her hands.

Michelle looked at the picture once again. It was beautiful.

It had been taken when she and Nick had been standing in front of her car after the ice bucket thing. The background was the stadium, dark sky and the stars. They were kissing. It had been the best moment all night.


“A week ago after the concert.”

“Who is it? It isn’t Tom I know that much.”

“No it isn’t and it never will be again.” She hadn’t told Brandon or their mother what had happened with Tom and Sophia because they both loved him.
Brandon looked at the picture more closely and said, “That isn’t Nick Carter is it?”

“So what if it is?” she challenged.

Michelle sometimes hated having an overprotective older brother.

“So what?! So what?! He’s five years older than you!” He knew this because Michelle had hammered it into his head when she had done her on-air biography series of BSB.

“Brandon, hon, in case you forgot, I am twenty one years old now. I know how to take care of myself.”

“I know that but…”

“Brandon stop it!” she yelled. “So I kissed him. Big deal, so what. I’m a big girl now. I know what I’m doing. I know you’re worried, he’s not like Mason.”

As if sensing his sister’s agitation, Brandon slid into a seat next to her and asked, “What happened with Tom, I thought you liked him.”

I did. Unfortunately he didn’t see why I was waiting, why I wasn’t going to sleep with him.”

“So he broke up with you?” Sometimes she and Brandon could talk about anything—including the problems she was having with guys.

“You could call it that I guess.”

“What’d he do?” Brandon was the type who pushed until he got what he wanted; that was how he ended up with a wife and child at eighteen.

“He decided that since I wasn’t gonna sleep with him he was gonna find someone who would. He chose Sophia.” She said as tears threatened to fall.

“Sis, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. It would have ended between us anyway. He was too impatient. He kept trying again and again and again to get me to sleep with him and I kept telling him no again and again and again.”

“You know, having our mother is actually good for us. Her “job” teaches us what’s right and wrong about sex in a sense. Like dad’s teaches us to be smart about money.” Their father worked on Wall Street as a stockbroker and their mother was, well to put it nicely, an ‘adult film star’.

“I know. Now I’d better go call him to see if he’s heard about this.” She said waving the picture through the air.

“Okay Elle, call me if you need me.” Brandon said as he shut the front door.

Not even a minute after Brandon left the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Elle, its Nick.”

“Hello Nick, what’s wrong?” she asked him even thought she already knew the answer.

“Have you seen this week’s issue of People?”

“Not all of it but my brother so nicely shoved our picture in my face a few moments ago.”

“Management want’s to know what’s going on.”

“What did you tell them?” she asked curiously.

“I told them the truth--that I don’t know yet.”

“Yet? What do you mean?”

“What’s going on with us.” She and Nick had spent every available moment together in the last week. “You can’t deny that there’s something going on with us.”

“I know. By the way, why did you kiss me the first time?”

“I felt like it.” He stated matter-of-factly.

“Ok.” she said smiling at him even though he couldn’t see her through the phone. “So…when do we get to do it again?”

“That means?”

“What do you think it means?”

“That you wanna…..” he trailed off.

“Yuppers. It means I wanna…….so where are you guys now?”

“We’re in Minnesota.”

“Oh. Well I only mean that if you wanna see me again.”

“Why wouldn’t I.”

“Ummm….because you’re an international popstar and I’m a radio show host?”

“Please?” he pleaded.

“Nick, relax it was a joke. When?”

“When what?”

“When am I going to see you again?”

“The U.S. leg of the tour ends in two weeks. Then we have a full four weeks until the European tour starts. So let’s make it sixteen days from now. Okay?”

“Perfect.” She said again smiling at him even though he couldn’t see her through the phone.

They talked for a while longer and then wished each other a goodnight and hung up.