- Text Size +
It had been sixteen days since she had last seen Nick.

It was funny to her how you could miss someone you hardly knew so much. She thought herself stupid for putting her heart on the line so soon after getting it broken for a second time.

He had called the day before and they had talked for hours deciding in the end to spend the next day out on the ocean in his boat with his brother Aaron and his girlfriend.

Over her bathing suit she had chosen to wear a pink tank top that showed off her belly ring and the tattoo on her lower back. She chose a white jean skirt that was four inches above her knees to go with the top. She was wearing flip flops that made her two inches taller. Half of her hair was pulled back and held into place by a diamond studded butterfly barrette that her father had given her (among other things) the day of her high school graduation. If anyone knew the extent of gifts he had given her that day they’d have more of a reason to call her a spoiled Daddy’s Girl.

He arrived on time at 10:00am.

“Hello.” She said with a smile when she answered the door. She looked calm on the outside but the prospect of spending an entire day with him and his brother was causing her insides to turn.

“Cute.” He said when he saw her.

“You’re not so bad yourself Carter.”

“Shall we go?”

“Why not?” she answered as she picked up her bag and keys from the table beside the inside of the door.

She could feel him playing with the strings from her bathing suit that stuck out of the neck of her tank top as she locked her front door.

“Stop that!” she said as she playfully slapped his hand away.

“You asked for it.” He warned as he began to chase her.

“Hey!” she said as she tried to get away, but failed miserably.

He began too tickle her sides until she begged him to stop, “Okay, okay. I give up let me go.”

He let her go and they got into his Bronco and he asked, “Why do you enjoy your job?”

“Because I love music. I have since I was a little girl. And I get to tell people what to listen to, so if they don’t like my music or my show then too bad for them.”

He laughed.

“Why do you enjoy your job?” she countered.

“Music is my life.”

They rode in silence until Nick asked, “Are you an only child or do you have brothers and sisters?”

“I have four siblings. Three brothers and one sister. Unfortunately Shanna, my older sister was killed by her husband about a year and a half ago...”

He cut her off, “I’m sorry, that’s horrible.”

“It was. But our family’s just happy that I had Kayla with me that day or she’d be gone too.”

“Kayla?”

“My niece.”

“Cute name.”

“Thanks.”

“What about your brothers?” he asked clearly to change the subject.

“Brandon’s older. He’s thirty. He was married when he was eighteen and his oldest child was born four months later. He’s actually got Kayla now. In total he has four kids. He works for a bank. My younger brothers are identical twins. Jake is the oldest by five minutes. Anthony is the baby but he’s not the most spoiled. They’re still in high school. And my sister-in-law, Madison, is a kindergarten teacher.”

“Wow. A teacher and a banker, But you chose music? Nice.”

“How’re your siblings these days?”

“Angels’ in school and modeling when she has the time, She’s dating someone we’ve known for years. Aaron’s in school and working on his new album. Leslie’s working on her music. Bj’s modeling and Kanden doesn’t really know what’s going on most of the time since he’s only a baby.”

“Cool.”

Ten minutes later they arrived at Nick’s.

They drove up to the house (which was smaller than Michelle had expected it to be) and got out and went into the house.

They walked through the house, and Nick told her to wait downstairs while he went up to change. She was walking around the living room looking at all the pictures he had up when he came back downstairs. They left the house and began the walk out to the marina.

They had barely set foot on the boat when they heard a particularly nasty, “You!” from behind them.

They both spun around and saw Aaron and his girlfriend, Amy whom Michelle knew all too well.

“Amy.” She said.

“You!” Amy repeated.

“Do you two know each other?” Nick asked.

“You could say that.” Michelle replied before Amy could open her mouth.

“What,” Amy began. “You haven’t told him your little secret?”

“Amy shut up.” Michelle said quietly.

Aaron and Nick stood there watching the exchange between the girls.

“Awww. You don’t want him to know. Why not everyone else does.”

“Amy shut up!” Michelle said again, this time near tears.

“What you don’t want him to know what you did? Oh well cause I’m gonna tell him.” Amy turned to Nick and said, “You’re lucky she hasn’t put you in prison yet.”

“Amy, shut the HELL up!!!” Michelle screamed. “Or I’ll shut you up!”

Nick and Aaron exchanged looks and Aaron dragged Amy away before the two very angry women got a hold of one another.