- Text Size +
One Year Later........

“Good morning sunshine.” A smiling Nick said at five am.

Michelle rolled over and looked at the alarm clock. When she saw that it was only five am she threw a pillow at Nick. “Why’d you wake me up so damn early Carter?”

“I have a surprise for you and if you don’t hurry we’ll miss it.”

“Fine.” She said as she reluctantly got out of her nice, warm bed.

“Dress warm.” He said as he left to wait for her in the hall.

Ten minutes later Michelle was blind-folded and Nick was leading her into the unknown.

After a few minutes she smelled the salt air and wondered why on earth Nick was taking her out on the boat at five-twenty in the morning.

He helped her aboard and into her seat. He then went to the wheel and started the boat and pulled away from the dock.

They were moving for about twenty or so minutes before he turned the engine off.

She felt him taking the blind-fold off and turned to ask him what was going on but he silenced her with a finger to his lips.

He took her hand and led her to a bench seat at the back of the boat; he sat her down, sat down next to her and then wrapped a blanket around the both of them.

It was still mostly pitch black, but the sky was beginning to lighten at the edges. He had his arms around her, keeping her warmer than the blanket ever could.

They sat there watching the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean. It was actually quite beautiful; it was like nothing she had ever seen before.

As the sun became fully visible in the sky, Nick leaned in and kissed her. When he pulled away he whispered, “Happy Birthday, sweetheart.”