- Text Size +
" Some where over the rain bow, blue birds fly. Blue birds fly over the rainbow. Why, Oh why can't I?" C.J sang her favorite song from her favorite movie, while washing clothes in the tub outside. It's been a week now, since she opened her mouth and a powerful voice come out. She had fun with her singing. She always made up her own songs. Sometimes, she'll even crack herself up, by how funny they sounded. That always made her smile. After she finished washing the clothes, she hung them on the line to dry. C.J skipped along the wild flower patch, down to the river bank. She stopped at some beautiful rose bush. She smiled and took in their smell. She picked a couple of roses and held them close. C. J twirled around and around, feeling like a princess. She began singing once more, imagining herself up on the stage all grown up, underneath the spotlight. She lifted up the mic and a very powerful voice came out, not to mention the thousands of screams that interrupted in the crowd. She smiled, as she saw herself shine.

C.J. leaned against the tree, fingering the roses, smiling to herself.

" Oh how I would love to shine." She whispered to herself. CJ lifted herself up to her feet and skipped her way back to the house. She sang loudly and on key as she danced her way into the house. A rose fell out of her hand and she bent down to retrieve it, still singing.

" What is that bloody racket?!" CJ stopped in mid sentence when she heard her Father's booming voice. She backed up against the wall when her parents came in.

" What was that?!" Her mom screamed in her face. CJ scrunched up her nose.

" What was what, ma'am?" CJ asked confused.

" That!!!" She yelled pointing a finger up to CJ's lips.

" I don't understand what your--"

" THAT BLOODY RACKET COMING OUT OF THAT HOLE IN YOUR FACE!!!!" Her Father screamed, making her flinch and her ears pop lightly.

" I was just...singing. " CJ said, tears swelling up in her eyes.

" Singing?! Why were you singing?!" Her father boomed.

" Because, I like to sing." CJ whispered. She squeezed her eyes shut, fearing what will come to her.

" You like singing?!" CJ swallowed hard and nodded.

" Yes sir."

" Well, we don't!! So shut up!! You have the worst voice in this whole bloody world!! Just shut up!!" He screamed so loud all the animals in the forest surfaced. CJ nodded, understanding. Her father turned on his heal and stomped back into the living room. CJ lowered her head and fingered the rose petals.

" What are those?!" Her mom shouted. CJ's head snapped up, forgetting her mother was there.

" Flowers." CJ said in a tiny voice. Violently she grabbed her and shook her roughly.

" I know what they are you little twit!! What are you doing with them?!"

" I picked them, ma'am. When I went down to the river bank."

" You get rid of those right now!! Flowers are for sweet little children. YOU are Satan's child!!! NOW GET RID OF THEM!!!" She screamed, slapping CJ hard in the mouth. CJ's hand flew up to her numb lip. She swallowed hard and slowly nodded. Her mom turned and joined her husband. CJ touched her lip softly, tears escaping her eyes. She brought back her hand to find blood all over it. Her lip was cut open pretty deep. CJ dabbed her lip with the sleeve of her dress and looked down to the floor. The rose's laid all over the floor. They just laid there, still, like they were dead. CJ bent down and gathered them up. She did as she was told. She opened the door and threw them back outside, but in secret she hid only one unique rose behind her back and snuck it in her room. She opened up her torn old bible, her Grandmother gave her before she died. She opened it up to the middle of the book, gently placing the rose in the crease. She stared at for a long while, before slowly closing it. She then picked up the bible, sat in her corner of the room and hugged it with all of her might.