- Text Size +
Nick entered AJ’s house and found AJ watching TV in the living room. “Anything good on J?”

AJ jumped since he didn’t hear Nick come in. “What? Oh, no.”

Nick chuckled and moved around the couch. “That’s what you get for watching TV mindlessly.”

“Yeah, I know.” AJ turned the TV off. “So, how did the house hunt go?”

“I found a place.”

“That’s great Nick. Although, I must say, it is going to be quiet around here without you. I was getting used to you always being around.”

“Yeah sure. I’ve been here for 6 months now. I’m sure you can’t wait to have your house all to yourself again.”

“Well, for the most part you are right. But I will miss always having someone to hang with.”

Nick laughed. “You’ll get used to it. After all, I’m surprised that you haven’t wanted to kill me after awhile.”

“So where is this place?”

“About 15 minutes from here. It’s smaller than anything I’ve lived in previously and it has a great view of the water for a backyard.”

“Cool. We need to go out and celebrate tonight.”

“No thanks.”

“No thanks? Come on Nick. Dark club, loud music, girls whose skirts are too short. It’ll be great.”

“I don’t want to go.”

“Nick, you haven’t gone out since you caught Natalie in your bed with two other guys.”

“Did you have to bring her up?”

“Sorry Nick, but you need to get over her.”

“I am over her. I realize that she never loved me and I’m over that.”

“Then why won’t you go out anymore?”

“Because I’ve given up on women.”

“What? Nick, you can’t be serious.”

“Well I am. Every serious relationship I’ve had has ended up badly. Mandy used me for her career. Paris, well that relationship was so publicized that the only way you don’t know what happened between me and her is if you were living under a rock. Natalie, well we all know what happened with her. And the list goes on. I’m not going to submit myself to another relationship. We already know the outcome and that’s me getting hurt. I won’t go through this again.”

“You’ll be alone.”

“I’d rather be alone than being hurt by yet another girl. I’m going to go start packing up my stuff.” Nick left the room.

AJ was starring after Nick. He decided then that he needed to do something for Nick. He needed to speed up his progression back into the dating world, somehow. It was at that moment that his phone rang. AJ jumped a mile off his couch and landed on the floor from being startled. He picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Hey Boo.”

AJ smiled despite the silly childhood nickname. “Hey girl. Must you still call me that?” AJ asked his childhood best friend, Erica O’Dell.

“Yes I must call you that. It’s more fun than AJ.”

“I don’t agree.” He said with a smile. “So how ya been? Do anything interesting lately?”

“Nah. Just worked. I just moved back.”

“Really that’s awesome. But what about your boyfriend?”

“I’m single.”

AJ snapped to attention. “Really?” He may have just found a way to help Nick.

“Yes. Really. You seem shocked.”

“No. Not shocked. Just excited about how well things are working out for me.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you remember Nick?”

“Yeah. He seemed nice enough. Why?”

“He’s been going through a rough time and I need to find someone for him so he can see that giving up on women isn’t what he wants.”

“Did he tell you to do this?”

“No, but I can’t stand seeing him giving up like this.”

“So what do you want from me?”

“I want you to go out with him?”

“You’re trying to set me up with Nick?”

“Come on Erica. Please? I don’t want to set him up with just anybody. I need it to be someone I trust with my life. Who fits that description better than you?”

“Ok. I’ll go out with him once. But after that, I’ll only pursue something with him if there’s something there.”

“Deal. Thanks so much Erica.”

“Well, I’m going to finish unpacking. I just wanted to let you know that I was back in town. Call me when you know when I’m meeting Nick and where.”

“I will. Talk to you soon.” He hung up and sat on the couch thinking about how to convince Nick to do this. He was startled out of his thoughts when Nick came down carrying his suitcases. “Hey Nick. Come here man.”

“What’s up?”

“Sit down.”

Nick obeyed. “What’s this about AJ?”

“Do you remember my best friend?” Nick gave him a blank look. “Erica?”

“I can’t say that I do. Why?”

“Well she recently moved back into town.”

“So? What’s your point?”

“I think you should go out with her.”

“What? No.”

“Why not?”

“Did you not hear me before? I said I was giving up on women.”

“Which is why I want you to go out with her.”

“No AJ.”

“Nick.”

“What?” Nick was getting defensive.

“You are too young to give up women.”

“Says you. I’m tired of thinking that I found a good girl only to be hurt in the end.”

“Erica is a good girl, the best. I’d trust her with my life.”

“Then you date her.”

AJ laughs. “Erica is like my little sister. And who better for my little brother than my little sister.”

“That logic is fucked up man. Listen. I’m heading over to my new place. I will not meet this Erica. I’m staying single, and that’s the end of the conversation. I’ll see you at the meeting tomorrow.” With that, Nick grabbed his bags and left the house.

AJ stayed on his couch contemplating what to do. He knew Nick would fall in love with Erica the moment he met her. He just had to get Nick to meet to Erica. Maybe he could trick Nick into it. No that wouldn’t work. That would only cause Nick to storm out of the room. He had to convince Nick to go on his own free will. The question was how. He reached for the phone. If anyone would know what to do, Brian would.

“Hello?”

“Hi Leigh, is Brian there?”

“Sure J, I’ll go get him.”

AJ waited for Brian. “What’s up J?”

“I need help with something.”

“With what?”

“Nick.”

“What’s wrong with Nick?”

“He told me today that he was giving up on finding love because he was tired of getting hurt.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah, and then I talked to my best friend. You remember Erica right?”

“Of course. What about her?”

“Well I got her to agree to going on a blind date with him. The only problem is that I can’t get him to agree to go.”

“Maybe he’s just not ready.”

“It’s been 6 months.”

“I know, but this is Nick we’re talking about. You know he dwells in pain.”

“I know. Which is why I need him to go out with Erica. She can change that. I know she can.”

“Well, since you seem so certain, I’ll help you. I’ll have some way by tomorrow.”

“Thanks Bri.”

“I’m not doing it for you J. I’m doing it for Nick. He deserves to find love.”

“I totally agree. I’m going to go to bed. That meeting tomorrow is just too damn early. See ya tomorrow Bri.”

“Goodnight AJ.” They hung up the phone and made their way to bed.

The next morning, Nick was the last one to arrive at the meeting; which didn’t shock the other four group members. Nick sat in silence throughout the whole meeting. He refused to meet AJ’s gaze. He was pissed at AJ for trying to set him up on a blind date. He wondered why none of his friend’s listed to him and respected what he wanted.

After a boring 5 hours, the meeting finally came to an end. By this point Nick was starving. He grabbed the bag he had with him and began to head out. Brian’s voice stopped him. Nick turned around reluctantly. The request AJ made the night before annoyed him and in fact kept him awake for half of the night. Now he was tired, hungry, and the last thing he wanted was to have to stay here. “So AJ tells me that he set you up with his best friend Erica.”

“What? No, he tried. I’m not going.”

“It might be good for you.”

“No. What will be good for me is you all minding your own fucking business.”

“We’re just trying to help you.” Kevin spoke up.

“Then honor my wishes and stay out of my love life.”

“According to AJ, you don’t want one.” Howie said softly.

“And it’d be nice of you if you’d all respect that. I’m not going.” Nick turned to leave, but Brian blocked the exit.

“Nick, just one date won’t kill you.”

“Maybe not, but if it becomes more than one date, it will in fact kill me when she pulls what everyone else I have ever dated has pulled and uses me for something.”

AJ approached him. “Erica isn’t like that. She doesn’t care about fame and she has her own ambitions.”

“I’m not doing it.”

Kevin approached. “Nick, giving up women may seem like the answer now, but you’ll be lonely in the long run. You’d be alone when everyone else is making the families. I’ve known you for 13 years. I know you don’t want to be alone for the rest of your life. I think you should give AJ’s best friend a shot.” Leave Kevin the voice of logic. “And besides, any girl who has put up with AJ for as long as she has must have a heart of gold.”

Nick was getting frustrated. His forehead was creased and his face was turning red. He was clenching and unclenching his fists. “Fine. I’ll go out with her. Just for the reason of getting you 4 off of my back. I’m going, but I won’t be happy about it.” With that, Nick pushed past Brian and left the room in a huff.