- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Nick found out the truth about Victoria's person and he had this urge to protect her although he needs the protection more. He went to visit her on her family's estate and that's when something they happened that they couldn't prevent themselves from doing from.

 

 

“You love the ocean so much,” Brian said.

Nick looked up and saw his friend approaching the small pier to where his speedboat is docked. The house he bought in LA is situated near the sea. It is a perfect getaway whenever he wanted to be alone.

“What brings you here?” Nick asked Brian instead. His friend went into the boat where Brian saw him adding on gasoline. It is weekend, and Nick tried to do something to ease his thoughts of Victoria away from his mind.

“Going here is a journey enough for me,” Brian started. He lives in Georgia with his family. “But I came here to see how you are doing. I haven’t seen you at the headlines lately.” he added with a joke.

“Let them look for me,” Nick muttered. He started the engine. “Hold on,” he warned Brian. The motorboat started running and Nick maneuvered it through the calm waters towards the open sea. There was silence in the boat as the two quietly marveled the sights they’re passing by.

“By the way, Clark and Victoria just got home from London. I met him at the studio earlier when I picked up the copy of my demo CD. He’s looking for you, too, but you turned off your phone.” When Nick didn’t say anything, Brian drew a deep breath. He watched as Nick looked up in the sky with a sigh. Brian knew he just hit Nick’s soft spot.

“Where’s Clark?” Nick quietly asked instead.

“I don’t know, probably doing some mixes in the studio. He wanted to see you so maybe, he’ll be on his way here, too.”

Nick looked at Brian and smiled. He reached for his mobile phone, turned it on and called his best friend. “Hey, Clark. Where are you, man?”



~~~



“There’s something wrong in the picture,” Leighanne muttered quietly and her husband didn’t fail to hear it. Brian gave her a questioning look. They are at Howie’s house blessing in his new home in LA. They flew all the way from Georgia just to attend his house party, arriving two days ago, with Brian who went to visit Nick to see how he is doing. After the party, Brian and the rest of the guys will finalize their new album. In two months, they will start with the promotions.

“What picture, sweetheart?”

Leighanne drew a deep breath. “Clark came along with his girlfriend, Victoria. The two were holding hands ever since they arrived but the lady kept on glancing at our boy, Nick. Likewise, Nick kept on sneaking glances at her, too. What’s going on?”

Brian shook his head. “Let me say, Barry Manilow dedicated the song ‘Somewhere down the Road’ to that two.”

“Having the right love at the wrong time?” Leighanne asked. Brian didn’t reply and silently watched his youngest friend who was busy talking with AJ and his new girlfriend. While talking, his head simply wandered towards where Victoria is. Just in time, Victoria is in his line of sight, coming towards his way and carrying one of Howie’s nephews. Victoria just smiled then continued on her way.

“That’s weird. The girlfriend must’ve liked her boyfriend’s best friend.”

“Yeah, it shows. I wonder how much Nick would do for that woman, sweetheart.” Brian said, holding his wife’s hand. He could feel that Nick was having dilemma with his love life when he visited his friend. He saw how love had struck his friend straight to the heart and Nick couldn’t even do anything about it. He is very considerate of Clark’s feelings.

“I wonder…” Leighanne shakes her head.

“Dad, can I swim?” Baylee came suddenly and asked his father. Brian chuckled as he looked down at his son. Leighanne just nodded as Brian stood up and took care of Baylee. Nick came just in time that his friend left his wife.

“Hi, Leigh.”

“Oh, Nick. Hello. How is it going?” Leighanne kissed him on the cheeks. Among the boys, with the exception of Brian, Nick is closest to her. He’s the first one who accepted her when she started going out with Brian back then.

“I’m fine, Leigh.”

“I didn’t see you with any woman lately. I hoped you already made a careful turnaround after that controversy with that actress,” Leighanne said. Nick didn’t reply and just watched the children played nearby. “And that also means keeping your hands off from your best friend’s girlfriend.”

Nick silently groaned. “I didn’t – “

“I saw you,” Leighanne interrupted him. “I saw that stealing glances you’ve been doing lately. Clark is a good friend. I don’t want to see things to end so bad just because of one woman.”

“Trust me. That would never happen.” Nick assured her. “If that would also mean breaking my heart seeing her with another man.” He couldn’t tell Brian and Leighanne the truth about Victoria. A number of people knew enough and he didn’t want to further endanger his friends’ lives by telling them about Victoria. The investigation was a risk enough. He didn’t regret the decision of trying to know it. After that, he’s become more concerned of Victoria’s safety.

“You seemed to love her very much.” Leighanne remarked, holding her friend’s hand. Nick sighed. With that, he transferred his gaze to the princess who’s laughing with gaiety to something that Clark and AJ have been talking about.



~~~



Nick joined his friend at the porch of Howie’s gazebo. The place is so nice and he is looking forward to coming here more often. He brought along two cans of soda for him and his best friend, the only drink allowed in Howie’s party aside from fruit punch because Howie’s nephews and nieces are around. Together, they watched everyone move about across the lawn where the gathering continues.

“How is it while I’m gone?” Clark asked his friend.

“Everything’s fine although I haven’t got much time to see Victoria because of work, and being my brother’s nanny.” Nick replied. During the course of Clark’s business trip in Spain, Aaron also came to spend a week at Nick’s house and catch up with what’s going on with his brother.

“Don’t worry. Thank you, man.” The two made their secret handshake.

Nick smiled. “Anything for you, man. How’s work?”

“I got the job done while in Spain and made a few remixes for your upcoming new single. I brought my laptop today and maybe everyone can hear about it later.”

Nick drew a deep breath. “Thanks, man.”

Clark set aside the soda and seriously turned to his friend. “Alright, tell me the problem. What’s wrong with you? You know that I’m always willing to hear about it.”

Nick bit his lower lip and sighed. How can he admit to Clark that he wanted to be far away as much as possible to him and Victoria because it hurts to see them together? He chose to remain silent although his best friend since teen years can sense his dilemma, the way Kevin could. “No, it’s nothing.” He replied.

Clark didn’t pressed him anymore and sit back on the couch they were into. “Victoria told me that you already met her a year ago in London and even dated for quite some time.” Clark said. “You didn’t tell me more about it.”

“There’s nothing for you to worry about, Clark. Nothing’s between me and Victoria. I have no intentions on ruining your relationship together.” ‘And I will never touch her again,’ he silently added. He tried to look at his friend’s eyes.

“I know. But you still like her.”

Damn, Clark trusted him that much. He felt so guilty. There’s a long pause as the two sat together in silence. Victoria was across the lawn, playing with Howie’s family. The sweetness of her laughter rang across the lawn and can be heard from where the two men are sitting. The children were playing tag with her and one of Howie’s nieces clung on to her leg. “Yes, I still like her.” Nick said finally. “But I really don’t have plans on coming between you.”

“Are you telling that to me or to yourself?” Clark asked in response.

There was another long pause after that. Their eyes followed Victoria’s movement as she was approached by Pollyanna and Kristin. Kevin’s wife touched Victoria’s soft brown hair and they were talking about something. Leighanne joined them later and soon enough, the four women were laughing about something. Victoria had this ability to adapt easily to the people she just knew. Nick wondered how Victoria would handle political matters if she became a princess instead. She had this amazing personality of interacting well with others and life would be different for her then. He sighed.

“Both.”

“She’s a wonderful woman, isn’t she?”

Nick turned to him. “Stop it, Clark. What are you trying to do? You’re my friend. I don’t want anything to come between us.” He stood up.

Clark stood up too. “I know and I trusted you that much that you will never betray me.”

Nick nodded and drew a deep breath. This is really hard for him. “Let’s just quit the topic, okay? I still like her. That’s pretty clear. But I’m man enough to know where my boundaries lie. I know where I stand.” They stood there face to face, weighing each other’s look.

Clark extended his hand. “I’m sorry, Nick. I’ve been tactless.”

Nick looked down to his hand and after a while, he shakes it. “I understand, Clark. Let’s just forget about this. Don’t worry about me.”