- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Victoria secretly met her brother, Prince Harry, in an exclusive restaurant in LA. Nick happened to be there as he is acquainted with the owner of the establishment. Prince Harry noticed the exchanged looks between his sister and Nick and realized that both have the same feelings for each other. Nick learned about what the prince thought about him towards his sister when he received a note from Harry. Aside from that, he also received a note from Kevin regarding Clark's resignation from his job.

 

 

“I didn’t know that you’re planning to resign,” Nick said to his best friend. He went to Clark’s apartment to talk to him about it. Clark is a great asset in the recording company and Kevin hated to lose someone like him. He is a genius in sound engineering. The other Backstreet Boys highly recommended him. Nick helped in the persuasion and so, Clark was accepted in the position and will be relocated in New York.

“I didn’t plan it either, until Erienne came along,” Clark gave him a can of beer.

“Erienne?”

Clark turned to him. “Look, Nick. I pondered on this for more than a hundred times. What would you do if the one who walked away came back for another chance of the lifetime with you, which was what you’ve been wishing too?”

“W-What about Victoria?”

“I decided to go for someone that I really love no matter what’s the cost if it’ll only means forever happiness with her,” Clark said in reply to his own question. “And in answer to your question, Victoria and I already broke up. I might be the selfish one between the two of us but I also felt that I couldn’t deny it to Victoria as well. We decided to remain friends. She’s a wonderful woman and I think she may have already found her own man by now. So, what about you?”

“What about me?”

Clark chuckled. “You know it’s weird that when I heard from you that you liked her too, I wasn’t mad. Or am I really supposed to be because my best friend is in love with my girlfriend?” He saw Nick looked away. “But I’m not, not even a little bit mad. And then I realized that I’m in the wrong position in her life. I’m supposed to be the friend, and you as her boyfriend.”

“Clark, I – uh…”

Clark raised his can of beer for a toast. “Do something before it gets too late for you.”

“You’re too nice, Clark. I felt so guilty. I’m so sorry. Forgive me.”

“You didn’t do anything wrong, Nick. We came to this point that we’ve been involved with a same woman and it happens that we need to reevaluate ourselves over what makes us really happy. I couldn’t deny my feelings for Erienne is still here and so are you, with Victoria. I hope you’ll do what you have to do to keep from losing her again. This is your second chance.”

“I don’t know what to say, Clark.” His best friend is one of the nicest people he knew.

Clark chuckled, patting his best friend on the shoulders. “You’re a very good person, Nick, and not everyone knows that. I know you that well and enough to say that you need to be happy this time. Take that chance with Victoria.”



~~~



“Who?”

“Mr. Nick Carter, Ma’am,” Victoria’s secretary replied when she asked who has come and wanted to see her. The secretary is obviously star-struck when she saw the excited glint in her eyes. It’s not everyday that a cute celebrity will drop by for a visit.

“Send the cute man in, Dory,” she instructed with a smile. Dory chuckled. “Thank you.” She began pretending to be writing something on her desk calendar to be assumed that she’s busy. Her fingers trembled when she picked up her pen. How is she going to face him without even trying to remember the way he kissed and touched her? Nick’s sudden presence distracts her peace inside her office. She’s currently working for her father’s company which has its own office in Los Angeles. Her father may be a rich man but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have to work in her life. She wanted to do something. She wanted to be productive.

There was a knock first before Nick entered the room. Victoria saw him carrying a small pot of lilies-of-the-valley, her favorite. They are Fortin’s Giant, the kind of which the flower has larger white blossoms. Did he research on simple things like that, too? “I hope you’d appreciate this,” Nick said.

“It’s beautiful,” Victoria stood from her seat to accept the flowers from Nick. He helped her place it on a side table near the large glass windows then Victoria ushered him towards the long couch in the office. “Have a seat. W-would you like something to drink?”

“No, thanks. I came here to talk to you, to apologize for the way I acted the last time. I mean, for investigating on you.” Nick said. They remained standing by the couch.

Victoria frowned. “I felt guilty when I was with Clark. I couldn’t even look at him straight in the eye. And I still couldn’t get over the fact that you had me investigated.”

“I’m really sorry, Victoria. I know it’s wrong but can you blame me if I wanted to find out what’s been bothering me when I met you, and that you’ve been hiding something from me? I thought of it as one of the reasons why you stood me up in Harrods last year. Call me old-fashioned but I believe that when I love someone, I tend to find out what could be bothering her until I got enough to do something to protect her from any harm because I’m ready to be with her through any course of joys and sufferings. It might still be unreasonable for you because I admit, I invaded your privacy.” He paused, staring right through her. “But if that’s the only way to know and answer my questions, I’ll do it many times over. I love you so much, Victoria. I’ll do everything for you. I love you so much that I’m willing to be by your side and endure the danger it caused me with just knowing your secret. I don’t care. I just wanted to be here, and to protect you.”

“Do you, really?” Victoria’s voice is almost in a whisper.

“Yeah, I love you.” Nick smiled nervously. Victoria noticed that. How could that be? He is Nick Carter, the man who’s adored by millions of women because of his looks and personality. How can he be unsure of himself? She can sense the insecurity and vulnerability in him. “I came here to tell you that too. I’m sorry for the wrong things I’ve done. If I have to go through punishment for that, I will accept it and trust me that your true identity will never be revealed. And whatever happens from here, I’ll always be here to protect you.”

He leaned down to kiss her on the cheeks. “Bye,” He felt a lump on his throat as he said that. He doesn’t want to say goodbye, but he can’t stay any longer. He turned to leave the office.

Victoria was only left staring at his retreating form. It doesn’t matter if Nick already knew about the secrets of her past. All she could think of is Nick and the situation they are into right now. He deserved the explanation but she ditched him before she could think of the proper way to do it. And she’s thinking about his safety. The knowledge of the family’s secret is already a danger to his life.