- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick and Victoria found themselves comfortable around each other after their first date. Nick felt he is beginning to fall for her in just a short time, which seemed really fast for her. But he just couldn't help it..

 

 

Nick sat on the couch next to AJ and Howie who spent their day shopping. “I want to stay,” He announced.

“Is this about Victoria?” Howie asked him as he busied himself stuffing his newly-purchased items on his bag. He obviously bought a lot, probably some things for his girlfriend back home.

Nick nodded. “I’m serious, Howie. I wanted to know her better.” After almost a week of going out together, he felt that their friendship should go further than just an affair in London. He liked Victoria. He wanted her to be his girlfriend and he’s seriously considering the idea. Victoria is beautiful, smart, a good conversationalist and fun to be with.

AJ drew a deep breath. “Listen, Nick. She also lives in LA too. Maybe you can meet her there some time. Besides, you have your job and you can’t be away there for long. The management will be looking for you. We will be having some meeting when we get back to prepare the new album.”

“But I want to stay here, to have a vacation and spent longer time with Victoria.” Nick insisted. His friends exchanged helpless looks at one another. He stood up. “Alright, I’ll give everyone a chance. Since we’ll be leaving in London in two days, I have to make sure about Victoria. If things won’t turn out well between us, then I’ll go home with you.”

“That’s perfectly stupid, Nick.” Howie said. His youngest friend just grinned and went out of the room.

AJ sighed. “He is really a big kid. He always had his way.”

“Oh, I wish he knows what he’s doing and where his responsibilities lie.” Howie shakes his head.



~~~



“I’m leaving for the US in two days, Victoria. I wished we could meet there again,” Nick told her when he came to visit her at home.

“We could arrange that,” Victoria replied with a smile. They kissed once again. A long, passionate kiss which slowly leads to something even more, showing the impending emotions they have inside. They stared at each other, breathing raggedly, and they were about to kiss again when they heard a sound of a car coming in front of the house. “Dad’s here!” Victoria exclaimed excitedly. She pulled Nick up from the couch.

“Your Dad? I didn’t know that your dad is coming.” Nick bit his lower lip. He gets anxious to be introduced to her father but he just let Victoria pull him towards the foyer to greet the newcomers.

“Hey, my pretty one,” Martin greeted his daughter with a kiss on the cheeks. A young lad came out from the car and greeted Victoria too.

“I’m so glad you’re here. By the way, Nick, I want you to meet my Dad, Martin Montague and my brother, Arthur. Dad, this is Nick Carter. Don’t worry, he’s American and he also lives in LA.”

“Are you Victoria’s boyfriend?” Arthur asked Nick.

Victoria gasped at her brother’s sudden question. Nick only smiled but he doesn’t even know what to answer as well. “Go to the kitchen and get something to eat, Arthur.” Victoria said instead.

The two men shook hands as Arthur just grinned and excused himself to enter the house, telling them that he’s hungry. “What do you do?” Martin turned to Nick.

“I’m a singer, sir,” Nick replied. Victoria looked at him with pride. He smiled at her, fighting the urge to kiss her in front of her father. He really likes her. She’s fun to be with and a good conversationalist. If the fans get a hold of any information about her, he hoped that they will like her too. She’s a wonderful woman.

“A famous singer?”

“Uh, yes. I probably am, Sir.” Nick shyly replied. No one asked him a question like that before and he didn’t know how to reply without sounding like he’s boasting. And it’s especially harder when the person asking is the father of a woman he really likes.

“He’s famous, Dad. He’s a member of the Backstreet Boys and they came here usually to perform in the arena.” Victoria filled in. She gripped Nick’s hand tighter.

Martin turned back to Nick. “So, I assume that your life has been pried by media every now and then because of being a singer, huh?” Martin asked. Victoria bit her lower lip with her father’s question. She knew what he’s trying to know from Nick.

“It happens, Sir, but we got used to it. I don’t usually worry about it. Anyway, we owe what we have to them although sometimes, it’s get frustrating when I wished I could have more privacy than I would really like to have.”

“Well,” Martin nodded and turned to Victoria. He gave a look in which his daughter immediately understood. “I have to go inside, Nick. Excuse me. It’s been nice meeting you.” They shook hands once again. As soon as her father had gone inside, Victoria turned to Nick.

“I think this is the time where you should go for now. Let’s meet again tomorrow?”

Nick drew a deep breath. “I was nervous when you introduced me to your dad.” He smiled as he admitted that. He never did that kind of thing before, admitting his weakness. “I hoped I made a good impression. I’m serious, Vicky.”

“He’s a nice man. Don’t worry. If he won’t like you, I still do.” Victoria kissed him. “Tomorrow?”

“How about at Harrods?” Nick asked. Victoria stared at him as if he just spoken a foreign language. “Vicky?”

“Uh, yes. At the entrance at noon.” They gave each other a long kiss. They stared at each other for a while. Nick’s forehead is resting against hers. How did he fall so easily for her? It seemed so fast and yet, he felt as though they’ve already known each other for a long time. With a frustrated sigh, Nick went to his car. Victoria waved goodbye to him before she went into the house.



~~~



Victoria felt her father’s look upon her as soon as she entered the Sitting Room where Martin and Alice were. “I hope you won’t be having a relationship with him other than being friends, Victoria. He is famous and being followed around by media and that’s what I’ve been trying to prevent you from.” Martin started at her.

“I understand, Dad.” Victoria replied and sat down on the nearest sofa.

Martin drew a deep breath as Alice gave her husband reassuring firm hold in the hand. “We’ve been through a lot about this and we don’t want any more complications if the media suddenly turned their attention towards you, or their interest about you and your family. It’s something we’ve been trying to avoid for almost ten years now.”

“I understand, Dad.” Victoria repeated. She bit her lower lip and looked at her parents. Sorry, Nick. She had intentions of speaking up for Nick but her willpower was gone as soon as she saw her father’s serious look.

“Is that all you can say, darling?” Martin asked her.

“Because I know and agreed on what you’re trying to point at, Dad. Mom’s life will be back in danger once they realize that she’s still alive and now lives in a different identity. I don’t want to risk it, Dad.” Maybe she can find another man like Nick, someone who is not famous and cute and funny and smart…She blinked twice when she realized that she’s about to start daydreaming of him. He was like her boyfriend already. They were instantly attracted against each other and she knew she wanted to know him more. But this kind of complication is something she didn’t want to risk and whether she likes it or not, she had to choose this for the sake of her family.

Martin nodded. “Well, no one will know unless someone would tell. And this is a secret we have to keep forever.”



~~~



Nick glanced at his watch. It’s already been ten minutes past noon and Victoria still hasn’t shown up. Where is she? I hope she’s not in danger to cause such delay, Nick thought. Thinking of it sends nervous goose bumps at the back of his neck. He can already feel that he’s being recognized. A lot of women have looked his way and he kept his cap low so that no one would bother him.

“Mr. Nick Carter.”

Nick turned at the mention of his name. He saw Victoria’s butler at home. The older man gave him a note and he immediately read what was written.

‘I’m sorry I’m not going to meet you today, or in LA. I can’t explain it to you. I just have to do this for our sake. Victoria.’

When Nick looked up, the butler is already gone.