- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
In this chapter Emylia meets Howie...not really knowing who he is...Has he only the foundation or?
Emylia Wenderston had been involved in arts promotion for a long time, but this was her first own art exhibition gallery. It was open only since two months and it was already a huge success. Obviously, the beau monde of Hollywood had a new foible for the fine arts, but she didn’t want to know the reasons. She loved the fact that everybody was crazy about modern arts.

Today was a day for something new to her, too. Her company ‘’Mesmerizing arts promotions’’ was holding a charity auction. Many charitable organizations had previously asked her company for donations, but Emylia felt that even with donating a huge amount she couldn’t stop world hunger...or solve other global problems. She didn’t think she is selfish not helping them. She wanted to help. But for a cause to which she could relate to and feel that the donations really reach their goal.
This changed when one close friend of Emilia, Trish, came to her and crying told her that she has got an autoimmune disease. It had a strange name, lupus, what Emylia had never heard before.
‘’Research is my only hope’’ Trish had said. And Emylia didn’t to be told twice. If she had a hope to even try to help her friend, then she needed to act fast. She remembered that Trish had mentioned something about a foundation called The Dorough Lupus Foundation which was supporting research on this field. As Emylia had a lot to do in the New York department of her company she let her LA based assistance team to organize the charity event.

To her surprise, everything was perfect in the day of the supposed art auction. The paintings were exhibited at the gallery and as she looked through the auction catalogue she was surprised to discover that her most worthy artist, Jess, had contributed five new artworks from the Lost Acanthus series, one of the best selling of a living artist. She remembered that the highest price for a painting from this series was about 5.00000 $. Jess had said she is going to donate 70% of her income from the auctioned artworks. This will be a huge donation. Maybe it will help to find the cure.

Howie was usually excited to hear about even the tiniest events organized for his charity, but as he heard that ‘’Mesmerizing arts’’ was holding an auction for the benefit of his foundation he was extremely excited.
‘’Nick, did you know that there will be an auction for artworks from the Lost Acanthus series?’’ Howie was talking so fast that it was even difficult to understand.
‘’D, calm down! It seems like you’re in love!! But it’s JUST an auction!’’
‘’But aren’t you also getting excited when something good happens for your charity?’’
‘’Sure, but I don’t act so childish...’’ Nick smirked.
‘’So you just drop me by the gallery, ok?’’
‘’If you tell me were it is sure. But there’s one condition to that-you stop rambling.’’ Nick tried to sound serious, but broke out in laughter.
‘’Yes, sir!’’ Howie said, hardly breathing. It was so rare to see Nick serious for even a short time.

The event was a true VIP-only event. After passing the guest list check Howie could enter the gallery. No one was paying attention to him; everybody was looking at the artworks and discussing the maximum buying price. Usually the events for his foundation were fan events where he was the major attraction. He liked those, but this was really a first time to be almost out of the crowd’s attention. Some people who knew him talked to him and this was it.

He noticed a beautiful girl mingling in the crowd. From afar he saw that she was a petite built but still had an amazing figure. The black dress pants and the red lace top where perfectly showing her body, yes, he really couldn’t let his eyes off of her. I’m going to talk to her later, I need to find this Emylia Wenderston and thank her for this event...
Actually, he didn’t know how Emylia would look like, he had imagined her in her early sixties or something, so he kept looking for an elderly lady giving everyone orders. But he couldn’t find such a person till the auction started.

The auction started very promising. The artworks were sold for high prices, and Howie only sighed as he heard the percentages of the gross which would go to his foundation. This is event is the most successful ever since I started the fundraising. I really owe a lot to this Emylia...if only I could find her.

The last two items were going to be auctioned, but he still hadn’t figured out where this Emylia could be. His eyes were still following the beautiful brunette girl. There’s something about her I just can’t describe. She was talking to the winning bidders and signing the purchase agreements. She was sitting at a glass desk in the corner concentrating on some papers.

‘’Excuse me, could you tell me where I could find Emylia Wenderston?’’ Howie asked shyly, not wanting to make a bad first impression.
‘’Well, you don’t have to search anymore...I am Emylia Wenderston’’ she looked up and the first thing she noticed were his beautiful brown eyes.
‘’Wow...I thought you must be older...’’ Howie mentally kicked himself for being so blunt.
‘’A lot of people think that it takes decades to build an art empire...I was just really lucky with that...With whom I have the honor to speak? ’’ She smiled standing up.
‘’How could I forget to introduce myself? I am Howard Dorough, the founder of the Lupus charity...’’
‘’It’s so wonderful to meet you. I hope you are content with the results of the auction...’’ she looked right into his eyes. He’s cute...but with my luck in men he’s probably married and living happily ever after...
‘’Even more than that... It’s truly amazing! We could...’’ he had not a chance to finish the sentence because her phone rang.
‘’Oh, I’m sorry, but I have to answer this call...’’
‘’Go ahead, I’ll wait...’’

She moved away to the corner and picked up. Yes, she had to pick up. Jess would never accept her excuses. And you have to serve your best earning artist, right?
‘’Hi...so you want to know how the auction went?’’ Emylia asked.
‘’No...I want to know if he came!!!’’ Jess was squeaking so loudly that it seemed to Emylia that her phone could explode.
‘’Who came?’’ Emylia was confused.
‘’Hello? I can’t imagine Howie didn’t come...he always so treasures those events...’’ Jess sighed heavily.
‘’I still can’t figure out about whom you are speaking.’’
‘’About Howard Dwayne Dorough, have I to spell it? He’s the founder of this charity...’’
‘’Oh, this guy! Actually, I was speaking with him when you called...’’
‘’I hope he didn’t walk away...’’
‘’No, he said he’d wait...’’
‘’Aww...that’s soo cute! Go girl!’’ Jess cheered.
‘’But there’s nothing going on...’’
‘’Well, not right now...but you never know...’’ Emylia heard Jess’ dreamy rambling.
‘’Jess!’’
‘’Oh honey, I’ll better hang up and let you go on with the hot guy. But I promise to do the artwork for your wedding invitations, ok?’’ In the second Emylia wanted to say that Jess is going crazy the call was cancelled. Those crazy artists! But I think it won’t hurt to talk to him!

From his perspective Howie had a good view to Emylia. He couldn’t hear what she was saying, yet it must have been something that made her think. Well, I hope she still wants to talk to me...


Closing the phone Emylia watched him from afar. Well, Jess is right. He is hot...but isn’t looking at him reminding me how single I am? Damn it!
Either way, she plastered a smile on her face and returned to him.
‘’I’m back and now you can finish your interrupted sentence...’’ she said while paying attention to his looks.
‘’To discuss more about the auction and just to have a nice evening we could go out to dinner...I have a reserved table at Ivy’s...’’ it took a lot of bravery to say that. Usually he was shy to even talk to girls he liked, but putting together his bravery and performance experience he dared this. And now...only time will tell...
First, she was confused. It has been a long time since someone wanted to spend a nice evening with her? It was always only business dinners, mainly with other promoters, who happened to be mostly elderly ladies. So, girl, don’t skip this chance! Will it be better to sit alone home and drown in self pity? No, I gonna take this chance.
‘’Well, that was quite unexpected, but...’’ she searched for words to accept the offer better.
‘’If that sounded offensive or unacceptable, I’m so sorry...’’ You messed it!
‘’I just wanted to say it is good idea. You could tell me more about the foundation and so on. The auction has ended, but we hadn’t the chance to talk about it...so let’s go? We can take my car...or...’’
‘’I didn’t take my car tonight. So sure, let’s take your car.’’ He said, taking one more look at her body. His eyes were fixed at her red lace top, which seemed revealing yet it didn’t show as much skin as Howie would’ve wished. He was so sunk into drooling that he almost forgot that they had to go to her car.

He wondered which car would be hers; he thought that it would be the nice little Bentley parked nearby. But she passed it and headed straight to a dark red...Dodge Viper.
‘’I would’ve never thought you drive a Viper. I thought you would drive something more lovely.’’
‘’Isn’t the viper lovely? What kind of car did you expect I’d drive?’’ She said while buckling her seatbelt.
‘’Well, it is. You just seem kinda a more romantic nature...i thought you’d drive a Bentley or something like this...’’
So he thinks I’m lovely? Then why does everybody say that I’m like a blood pumping viper?
‘’Interesting thought...can I put on a CD while we drive?’’
‘’Whatever you like...’’ he said wondering what she’d pick.
She looked through the CD collection and stopped by the ‘’Millennium’’ album. She glanced at the cover and back to Howie in the passenger’s seat and her jaw dropped.
‘’Are you from the Backstreet boys?’’ She asked, her voice was almost not audible.