- Text Size +
Six hours, twenty-three stitches, two official police statements, and a chat with the District Attorney later, the girls were in a taxi on their way back to the hotel.

“We never did get to the restaurant, and I’m starving,” whined Annie as they got situated in the taxi. It was almost ten o’clock at night they were both hungry and exhausted.

“I’m just glad that your only issue is being hungry,” replied Andrea, giving her cousin a relieved look. “I was not aware that one’s head could bleed so copiously without leaving permanent damage. Of course, you were always off your rocker anyway, so even if you do end up with brain damage, it’s not going to be much different hanging around with you!” Andrea joked to her cousin. She was just grateful that her cousin was all right. There had been so much blood and it took almost a half hour for Annie to regain consciousness once they arrived at the hospital.

Test after test had been done to make sure there was no brain damage, cracks in her skull, swelling or fluid build-up. In between the test and doctors and nurses coming in and out of their little room in the emergency ward, two policemen had taken their statements about the incident. “We’ve already taken the statements of everyone at the venue, so you are our last stop before heading back to the precinct,” one of the policemen had said. He also informed them that criminal charges were being pressed by the State of Ohio against the woman that “assaulted” Annie. “She is pleading guilty, so you don’t have to worry about a trial or sticking around in the area longer than you planned on,” the officer had said on his way out.

When the DA came to see them an hour later, the doctor was giving them the final results from the tests. The district attorney informed them that the woman would not have to serve any jail time, she would be ordered to pay for any out of pocket costs Annie would have from medical bills, fines to the court, and she would have to do 1500 hours of community service. Annie and Andrea were glad to hear that. They did not think that girl should just be let off, but she certainly did not deserve to go to jail.

“Oh, you are just so amusing,” retorted Annie. “So what are we going to get to eat?” Andrea did not respond. “Earth to Andi! Hey!” Annie shouted so loud it startled the driver. Andrea looked over at her cousin like she had just been woken up from a deep sleep. “Dude, where’d ya go?

“Sorry Annabelle, I was just thinking about…..” she trailed off. Annie gave her a prodding look, and Andrea continued, “Nick gave me his cell number and asked me to call when I found something out. I just don’t know if I should call him. I mean c’mon, he is a Backstreet Boy and meets fans all day every day. If it weren’t for you getting pummeled in the head with a rock, he would probably never even remember us. I’m not going to call him, that’s it. I’ve made up my mind. Nick who?” Andrea said, trying to sound convincing, although it wasn’t Annie she was trying to convince, it was herself.

Annie was not convinced. She saw something in Andrea’s eyes when she looked at Nick, and she saw the same thing in Nick’s eyes when he looked at Andrea. She knew it had nothing to do with him being famous, or with Andrea being so cute to look at, with her long, curly brown hair, entrancing emerald green eyes, show-stopping smile, and short, curvy body.

I know Nick likes her, Annie thought to herself. And I know Andrea likes him too. She hasn’t looked at a man that way in eight months, and before that, she didn’t look at anyone that way except her husband. Now all I have to do is figure out where she put Nick’s number and a way to get them together again.

The remainder of the ride to the hotel was spent in silence; Andrea staring out the window deep in thought, and Annie devising her matchmaking plan. As they rolled up to the hotel, Annie was very satisfied with what she had come up with.

“C’mon girl, let’s get cleaned up and figure out what we are going to have for dinner,” Annie said enthusiastically as they exited the taxi. They walked through the lobby as quickly as possible, hoping Samantha would not see them. The made their way onto the elevator without being seen, and they each breathed a sigh of relief.

“She is a really friendly lady, but pretty nosy for a front desk clerk!” Andrea said as her and Annie looked at each other and laughed. The elevator came to a stop on their floor, and as they were walking down the hall to their room, Andrea asked, “Do you want to shower first? You could probably use it more than me.”

“No, you go ahead. I am going to look through the restaurant guide and decide what I want to eat.” And this way I can look through your purse and your pants pockets while you are in the shower and find his number, Annie thought to herself, which caused a smirk to come across her lips.

“What are you smirking about?” Andrea asked in a curious tone.

“Nothing,” Annie responded, almost too quickly. The girls walked into their room. Andrea took off her clothes, wrapped her robe around her, and walked into the bathroom to take a shower.

Once Annie heard the water running and Andrea singing, she felt secure enough to starting nosing through Andrea’s stuff. “Bingo!” Annie shouted a few minutes later and she pulled a crumpled piece of paper out of Andrea’s pants pocket.

“What are you yelling about?” Andrea inquired from the bathroom.

“What? Huh? Oh, nothing. I just found what I want to have for dinner, that’s all,” answered Annie. “Does pizza sound good to you?” Annie knew she didn’t even have to ask that. Andrea could eat pizza morning, noon, and night.

“Sounds good to me,” Andrea said, walking out of the bathroom. “Your turn; I’ll order the pizza, you get cleaned up.” Annie started to walk quickly into the bathroom. “Wait a minute!” Andrea yelled. Annie froze, afraid that Andrea figured out what she was up to. Instead, Andrea continued, “Did you know there’s a phone in the bathroom? Who has to talk to someone that badly that they can’t wait until they are out of the bathroom, honestly?”
“Yeah, that’s crazy, but I’m going to use it to order the pizza!” replied Annie, as she walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind her. And I’m going to use it to call Nick. This couldn’t have worked out more perfect.

“She is seriously ordering the pizza from the bathroom, she must have brain damage,” Andrea said as she noticed the red light next to ‘line two’ was lit up on the phone base. She pulled her comfy lounge pants and a tank top out of her suitcase and got dressed. She looked at the phone again and noticed the light was still on. How long does it take to order a pizza? She thought to herself and she started to untangle her wet hair with a pick. She had no idea that Annie was actually on her second phone call.