- Text Size +
Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“I can’t believe we are doing this,” squealed Andrea as she pulled the car into a parking spot at the boys’ hotel. “I mean, I really can’t believe we are doing this!”

“Me either,” Annie whispered as they were exiting the car. Nick and AJ opened the trunk and extracted the girls’ luggage.

“I can honestly say that I have never traveled with a woman with this little luggage before,” AJ teased as he made his way to his tour bus with Annie’s bags in hand. “I mean, two suitcases is not a whole lot for a three week road trip.”

“Yeah, well when there will be Laundromats along the way, we don’t need to pack a three week supply of clothes,” she chided back. “I am capable of doing my own laundry, unlike some people.”

“Hey, I am capable of doing my own laundry too, I just have people that are willing to do it for me,” AJ defensively responded.

“You’re mom doesn’t count,” Andrea said, laughing. Nick and Annie started laughing too.

“Good one,” Nick said pointing at AJ and laughing even harder. “But if it weren’t the truth, it wouldn’t be quite as funny!”

“Shut up Nick!” AJ yelled, slapping Nick in the head. “My mom doesn’t do my laundry….anymore,” he said, trying his hardest to stifle the laughter that was rising from his throat. She’s pretty quick with comebacks, AJ thought to himself as he carried Annie’s bags onto his bus. Nick will appreciate that.

Cute and funny, double trouble, Nick admitted to himself as he was carrying Andrea’s bags onto his bus. I think this trip to Pittsburgh is going be quite enjoyable. I just wish I knew what AJ was talking about when he said there are some things she needs to tell me. He grunted as he lifted her largest suitcase onto the bus. “Did you put weights in here or something?” he mocked as wiped the sweat that had collected on his forehead from his efforts.

“You know if it’s too heavy for you, I’m sure I can do it,” Andrea teased back. “Maybe my muscles are just bigger than yours, and that’s okay, don’t be afraid to admit that a little short girl is stronger than you!”

“Oh yeah, you think so huh?” Nick laughed as he walked over to her and motioned for her flex her arm muscles. She lifted her arm up and flexed, but instead of feeling her muscles, Nick tickled her armpits.

“Stop it or you’re going to make me.…” Andrea squealed as she tried to run away from Nick. She couldn’t finish her sentence she was laughing so hard. He chased her through the parking lot, both of them laughing. “AJ, help,” Andrea pleaded, hoping her new friend would give her a hand. Instead, AJ ran in front of Andrea, blocking her path and Nick caught up to her. AJ held her arms back as Nick tickled her sides. Andrea flailed her legs trying to get away from AJ’s grip, and she kicked Nick right in the nether regions. He reeled back in pain, and fell onto the ground moaning.

“Oh my God, are you okay? I am so sorry,” Andrea cried as she knelt down next to him. “Do you need ice or anything?”

“No, I’m fine,” Nick responded, in a high pitched girly voice. He stood up and adjusted. “It’s a good thing you kick like a girl, otherwise that could have seriously hurt!” He pulled her close to him and whispered something in her ear, and she started to giggle. She pulled away from him and looked him in the eyes, which she knew was a hazardous thing to do. She couldn’t understand effect his eyes had on her. He had whispered in her ear that she could make him feel better once they were on the bus, and she was going to tell him to dream on, but she lost her words as she stared into his eyes, and at that point, it didn’t matter what he said, she knew she would go along with him forever.

“Break it up you two,” a voice said from behind them. “We have to get on the road. Your flirting can wait until the bus is moving.” Andrea turned around quickly to see who was talking to her, and looked up. “Hi, I’m Kevin, nice to meet you,” he said as he bent down and hugged her. He then turned to Annie and hugged her. “I’m sorry about what happened earlier with the fans. We are going to post a message about it on the website. Hopefully if our fans read something straight from our mouths about how they are acting, they will shape up. Is there anything I can do for you before we get going?”

Annie was about to respond, but AJ beat her to it. “Uh, Kevin, if there is anything she needs, I will be the one to get it for her,” he boasted, grabbing Annie around the waist and pulling her to him. Annie just smiled at Kevin, and thanked him for the offer.

“Well, I guess we are the last ones to partake in this meet and greet.” Annie looked past Kevin and saw Howie, Brian, Leighanne and Baylee walking towards them.

“That’s okay though. Save the best for last as I always say,” Brian joked as he walked up to the girls. “It’s so nice to meet you, we’ve heard so much about you,” he said smiling at Annie. “Well, I should say we’ve heard so much about your head!”

“Brian, stop it,” Leighanne said in a scolding tone. “He doesn’t behave well in public,” she joked, extending her hand to Annie. “It’s nice to meet you. I am Leighanne, and this little guy is Baylee,” she said, motioning to her son. Annie bent down so she was at his level.

“Nice to meet you Baylee, I am Annie, and this is my cousin Andrea,” Annie said, pointing to Andrea. Andrea walked over and extended her hand to Baylee. He took it, and smiled up at her.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Andrea said with sadness filling her heart. Her son shared the same birthday as Baylee, and it pained her to look at him. Tears filled her eyes, something AJ noticed even before Annie did. He quickly walked up to her and put his hand on her back.

“C’mon sweetie, why don’t we get you settled on Nick’s bus,” he said tenderly. She looked up at him with a questioning look in her eyes. She then gave that same questioning look to her cousin.

“I told him while you and Nick were walking. I hope you aren’t mad, but he wanted to know why we were on a road trip. I really like him, and I know you understand the accident affected me too, and it was nice to be able to talk to someone impartial to it. He promised not to tell Nick, but you have to, when you are ready,” Annie whispered in to Andrea as she stood up. “Are you upset with me?”

Andrea took a deep breath and wiped the two tears that had escaped from her eyes. “No,” was all she said to her cousin and AJ led her onto Nick’s bus. Once she and AJ were on the bus, she turned to him, “Promise me you will not say anything to Nick, even if he asks.”

AJ wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into him. “I promise, and if you need anything, just let me know.” She paused for a minute, consumed by his smell and the warmth of his arms. She separated herself from him so she could look him in the eyes.

“There is one thing,” she said guardedly. “I am not sure that I am ready to be alone on a tour bus, that has a big bed in the back, and a shower for that matter, with a man that I am potentially attracted too and who is potentially attracted to me,” she said part jokingly, but mostly sincerely.

“I understand,” he replied compassionately. “I’ll take care of it.” He turned to walk off the bus, and came back a minute later with Annie and Nick. “We decided that the four of us would ride on this bus together tonight, and that way we can all get to know each other a little better. I know I am not ready to be on a bus alone with this one!” He said, tilting his head toward Annie and laughing.

“Likewise,” she shot back at him with a smirk.

“Okay guys, we’re ready,” the driver said over the PA system. “Pittsburgh or bust!” The bus started moving and they were on their way.

As the four of them found a place to sit, Nick leaned over to Andrea. “Is everything okay?” he asked, his voice sounding caring and genuine. “You didn’t say much after you met Baylee.”

“I’m fine,” she answered, faking a yawn. “I’m just exhausted. It’s been a really long day.” He kissed her forehead and she laid her head on his shoulder. He didn’t notice the single tear rolling down her cheek.