- Text Size +
Elsewhere on campus...

“So, this place is nice, I guess...” Nick started.

“Yeah, it's my second year,” Deanna answered.

“Wow, that's a long time,” Nick replied.

“Not really,” Deanna disagreed.

“It's longer than I've been in collage,” Nick told her.

“That's cuz you're not in collage silly,” Deanna replied.

“Uh-uh, it's my first year here,” Nick disagreed.

“That's right cuz you're a new student,” Deanna told Nick.

“Yup,” Nick agreed.

“And that's why I like you,” Deanna told Nick.

Nick then leaned in to kiss Deanna, but the biggest horror in her whole life happened at that moment.

“What you doin' wit my girl!” she heard someone yell from across the court.

Oh no, this couldn't be happening. Josh just had to go and walk in at this immediate moment. It's not fair, it's not fair!

“Huh?” Nick asked as he pulled away.

“It's you,” Josh said as he glared at Nick.

“Yeah, it's me, and I'm better at basketball then you. So what's your point?” Nick asked.

“D, what's he doing wit you?” Josh asked.

Deanna sat there for a minute trying to figure out what to say. She had to lie, Josh would kill her if she told the truth, then she'd be dead and never see Nick, Natalie, Kev, or her new roomy Lars ever again.

“I, I was sitting here waiting for you and this guy comes up to me and starts hitting on me. I didn't do anything honest!” Deanna lied.

Nick's eyes got huge when she told this to Josh, Deanna knew he'd be mad at her.

“I didn't know she was your girl, sorry,” Nick told Josh.

“I'll let you off the hook, this time. Next time you might not be so lucky,” Josh spared Nick.

Nick seemed to look up to the Heavens, to say thank you.

“So D, you still comin' to my party tonight?” Josh asked.

“I'll consider it. But I might have plans,” Deanna answered.

“Alright, just come if you can,” Josh replied.

Josh then started walking towards the locker room. As soon as he left, Nick glared at Deanna.

“What?” Deanna asked.

“You didn't tell me that you were somebody's girl,” Nick said in an upset tone.

“I'm no one's girl,” Deanna answered.

“Really, he seems to think you are,” Nick argued.

“We used to date in High School. And then we both came here, so he decided to keep our romance going,” Deanna explained.

“What do you mean, he decided?” Nick asked.

“I don't wanna go out with him anymore. I just don't have the courage to tell him,” Deanna told Nick and started crying.

“Don't cry, what's wrong?” Nick asked.

As Deanna cried, her tears washed away some of her make-up. Through the remaining layer, which was the normal amount, you could see purple on her skin.

“D, honey, what’s that purple under your make-up?” Nick asked.

“I wore a lot of make-up so that no one would notice,” Deanna told Nick.

“But that doesn't tell me what it is,” Nick replied.

Deanna then wiped off the rest of the make-up around her eye.

“Is that a bruise?” Nick asked.

Deanna nodded her head and answered, “Josh is abusive.”

Nick got a look in his eye, which she read as he was going to do something.

“But that's why I can't tell him, he'll hit me, he'll, he'll, he'll...” Deanna stammered.

“D, don't worry about it, you won't have to tell him anything. I'll take care of it,” Nick told her.

“You will?” Deanna asked.

“Yes, I will,” Nick answered.

“See, this is why I like you,” Deanna told Nick.

“What do you mean?” Nick asked.

“I don't wanna be Josh's girl,” Deanna told Nick, "I wanna be your girl.”

Nick smiled and kissed her.

“See you later D,” Nick told her, “I've gotta get to the locker room so I can change for practice.”

“Ok,” Deanna replied.

“Are you gonna stay and watch?” Nick asked.

“No, I gotta get to drama,” Deanna explained, “I'll see you later though, ok?”

“Alright,” Nick agreed.

Deanna then rushed out of the gym before Josh came back in and saw that they were both still there.

~~~~


“Mmmmm… oh that's right! D has this drama class thing today… I think it's a try-out for some play,” Natalie said, as she remembered Deanna said something about it.

“Well… I'm glad I don't have any classes until Monday,” sighed Laryssa.

“I don't have any classes either. I think the only classes that are today are drama and gym,” Natalie replied.

“Oh, well for sure it'll make it easier on me so I have the weekend to find my way around,” Laryssa nervously laughed.

“I had some troubles already this year, finding my dorm. Luckily Kev was able to help me with my suitcases,” Natalie reassured Laryssa.

Deanna burst into the dorm.

“Hey!” Natalie exclaimed, she had been sitting on Deanna’s bed.

“Oh hi, Natty. You already met Lars?” Deanna asked.

“You mean Larry?” Natalie returned.

“Larry?” Deanna laughed, “Interesting.”

“Oh thanks,” Laryssa yelled from her bed.

“Listen, I gotta get to drama…” Deanna started.

“Hey, wait… is that a bruise?” asked Natalie, Deanna hadn't yet told anyone else about Josh's abusiveness.

“Yeah… I bumped into a wall a couple of nights ago. I didn't tell y'all cause… well it was pretty idiotic of me… I just covered it up with an extra coat of make-up…" Deanna lied.

Deanna wasn’t very good at lying. Usually, she'd look you straight in the eye while talking, but when she was lying her eyes would dart around the room, looking at other objects in the room. Natalie knew this, but decided to ask Deanna later on again.

“Well… I better cover this up again and run to my class,” Deanna said as she opened her drawer, took out her make-up bag, and sat on her bed. She applied the make-up and left the room.

“Bye,” Natalie and Laryssa both muttered.