- Text Size +
I laughed at Nick’s own version of “Faithfully” as he sang on my phone.

“Oh Darla, you stand by me, I’m forever yours faithfully…” Nick sang.

I laughed again.

“How was that?” Nick asked

“I loved it,” I answered.

“Good,” Nick replied, “Cuz it could’ve been a lot worse.”

“Oh,” I sympathized, “I never said it was bad.”

“Sure,” Nick replied in sarcasm.

“No, it was really good, I swear,” I told him.

“No, no, I know you’re lying,” Nick disagreed.

“He’s got the thoughts of a rock-star and his feet aren’t even off the ground yet,” I said to myself and whoever else was listening.

“At least I don’t have an ego!” Nick exclaimed.

I laughed.

“Of all people, you’re the egotistical one,” Nick told me, in a joking tone.

“That wasn’t nice,” I told him.

Nick laughed.

“I love you too,” I told him.

“I know, cuz it’s just so hard not too,” Nick joked.

I laughed with him.

It was the year 1993. Early into my relationship with the now famous heartthrob Backstreet Boy. It was recently after Nick’s “Star Search” appearance, and he was pretty quiet about it. We joked that if it had been me, I would tell everyone. And of course, as anyone who knows me knows, I would. Grunge was heavily in rotation, except for the occasional danceable pop hits of current boy group, New Kids, and the R&B styles of Boyz II Men. But like I said, that was only occasional. I was probably one of the few people who was sick of grunge, being a dancer and all, I mean, even Nick liked it. Yes, I could stand it. Yes, I listen to it. But, I never said I favored it. I would rather have more New Kids and Boyz II Men and groups like that, with the occasional grunge. But, being 13, who listens to me anyway? Exactly, nobody. Compact disks, called CDs, were also pretty current. They were the cool thing to have, like a little record. They came out the year I was born, 1980. MTV was also pretty popular, only the groups with style got on, but that came out in 1981. I’ve been watching it since I was 4, back when it was only the music videos. Ed McMahon’s “Star Search” and Dick Clark’s “American Bandstand,” which actually seemed to be on its last leg, were rightfully popular. I mean, only the cool people got on, the ones with talent; I’m not mentioning any names… Nick. But, that’s pretty much what life was like growing up in the ‘90’s, pretty cool, pretty interesting, but for me, it was only the beginning…

“Hey Darla?” Nick asked.

“Huh?” I questioned.

“Do you wanna come with me to my audition today?” Nick asked.

“You bet,” I exclaimed, “When is it?”

“We’ll pick you up at two,” Nick told me.

“That works,” I told him, “Wait, let me ask my mom.”

“Ok,” Nick agreed.

“Mom!” I called down the stairs.

“What Darla?” my mom called back.

“Can I go to Nick’s audition with him today?” I asked.

“When is it?” my mom questioned.

“Nick will be here around two,” I told her.

“Alright,” my mom agreed, “Just don’t stay there too long, come home when Nick’s done.”

“Thanks!” I called.

“Good,” Nick told me, “Cuz if you couldn’t come I would die.”

“Oh, I’m sure you wouldn’t die,” I replied.

“No,” Nick disagreed, “I would fall over on the floor and then I’d be dead.”

We laughed.

“Ok, so I’ll see you in two hours,” I told Nick.

“I don’t know what I’ll do,” Nick replied, “I’ll probably die of boredom before then.”

“No,” I disagreed, “it’s only two hours, I think you’ll be all right.”

“But there’s nothing to do,” Nick whined.

“Go eat,” I suggested.

“Speaking of food,” Nick started, “What time is it?”

“Noon,” I answered.

“Oh, yes!” Nick exclaimed.

“What?” I asked.

“I have something to do until one!” Nick exclaimed.

“What are you gonna do at one?” I asked.

“Probably watch some TV show, or some videos,” Nick answered, “I only have to keep myself busy until one-thirty, then we have to leave to pick you up.”

“See,” I replied, “I told you it wouldn’t be so bad.”

“No, I said that to you,” Nick disagreed.

We laughed.

“Alright, I’d better go,” Nick told me.

I sighed.

“Don’t worry Darla,” Nick told me, then mimicked, “It’s only two hours.”

We laughed again.

“Alright, see you later,” Nick told me.

“Alright, laters,” I told him.

Nick then hung up the phone.

I sat for a minute with the phone in my hand. Today, I was going to yet another of Nick’s many auditions. I hoped that maybe, just maybe, this would finally be Nick’s big break. I always hoped and prayed that he would finally make it, because he definitely had the talent and he was better than most.

“Darla!” my mom called.

“Coming,” I replied as I put the phone back to its receiver.