- Text Size +
Sometime around two my home’s doorbell rang, multiple times.

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” I told the person at the door.

I opened the door to an awaiting Nick.

“Hey Darla,” Nick greeted.

“Hi hun,” I replied.

I gave Nick a kiss on the cheek, because my mom was watching. And you know how mother’s can be. Nick smiled. My mom then noticed Nick’s mom was standing behind him.

“So Jane,” my mom asked Nick’s mom, “What’s this lovely audition today?”

“Why don’t you tell her about it, Nick?” Nick’s mom suggested.

“Ok,” Nick agreed.

I smiled because it was always fun to hear about what Nick was doing.

“Well,” Nick started, “It’s an audition for a new boy group, that’s what they’re called…”

“Like New Kids?” I interrupted.

“Yes, like New Kids,” Nick shook his head as he answered.

“Well, I think that’s great,” my mother congratulated.

“Are those guys gonna be there,” I asked, “You know, the one that carries the briefcase, and the one that needs to de-fro his fro?”

“You mean AJ and Howie?” Nick asked.

“Yes,” I answered, “the briefcase man and the one who needs a de-fro.”

“AJ,” Nick told me, “and Howie.”

“Yeah,” I replied, “The briefcase…”

“AJ and Howie,” Nick interrupted.

“Why do you keep saying that,” I whined.

“That’s their names,” Nick explained.

“They have names?” I asked.

Nick, his mom, and my mom all laughed at me.

“Oh, don’t do that,” I whined.

“If you would pay attention you’d know their names,” Nick told me, “I did introduce you.”

“Ok, now, who?” I asked.

“Your so called “briefcase man” is AJ,” Nick answered, “and the one who supposedly needs a “de-fro” is Howie.”

“Ok,” I replied, “AJ is briefcase man and Howie needs a de-fro.”

“Right,” Nick told me, “But don’t tell them that.”

We laughed.

“Alright, you’d better get out of here,” my mom told us, “Or Nick will miss his audition.”

I nodded.

“Bye mom,” I told her.

“Bye Darla’s mom,” Nick joked.

My mom smiled as we left. When we got in the car I decided to ask Nick more about the audition.

“So, tell me more about this boy group audition,” I asked.

“Alright, it’s for ages 15 to 22…” Nick started.

“You’re only 13,” I interrupted, “You have a better chance of being in the MMC.”

“I know, but this would be better for me,” Nick explained, “And I called to ask about it because I wasn’t in the age range.”

“What happened?” I asked, interested.

“Well, they told me that I needed to have Marianne call and talk to them,” Nick explained, “so I left my name and went to call her.”

Nick didn’t need to call his vocal coach by her full name, Marianne Prinkey, because it was such a common name to me. I’d even met her once or twice. I nodded to show Nick to continue.

“So I called Marianne and she was proud to see me not only try out for the MMC, but to try to go for an opportunity such as this,” Nick continued, “She told me she would definitely call.”

“What happened next?” I asked.

“If you didn’t interrupt me all the time you wouldn’t have to ask,” Nick told me with a grin on his face.

I smiled back.

“So anyway, she called and gave them her recommendation and a list of other people who could also verify that I had talent,” Nick continued, “she also mentioned that I had a recent “Star Search” and that gave me bonus points.”

“So?” I asked.

“So, they called back and I was personally invited to audition,” Nick finished.

“That’s great!” I exclaimed.

Nick nodded his head.

“So, what’s your audition piece?” I asked.

“I brought a couple,” Nick told me.

“And they are?” I asked.

“Well, I figured that I wanted to get the point across that I sing a variety,” Nick explained, “So I brought New Kids’ “Hangin’ Tough,” just for you…”

“Aww, thank you,” I smiled.

Nick smiled back and began the rest of his list, “Boyz II Men’s “End Of The Road,” Shai’s “If I Ever Fall In Love,” and Journey’s “Open Arms.’”

“Well, I think you’re gonna do great and everybody’s gonna want you to be in this new boy group,” I told him.

“Don’t say that,” Nick told me, “I’m gonna be nervous and then I won’t get it.”

“Ok, then I hope you do good,” I told him and kissed his cheek.

“That’s better,” Nick replied.

At that moment Nick’s mom pulled up to the building.

“We’re here,” Nick exclaimed, “Look, there’s AJ!”

“Briefcase man!” I exclaimed.

Nick rolled down his window and yelled, “Hey AJ, wait up!”

AJ turned around to see who was calling him. Nick jumped out of the car and ran to catch up with him. I had to follow pretty fast, so as not to get left behind.

“Hey Nicky!” AJ greeted.

“Hey,” Nick replied.

At that point I ran up.

“And the infamous girlfriend,” AJ added.

“Yup, I brought Darla,” Nick replied.

“He said I was evil,” I whined.

“No, you’re well known, I just forgot what the word is,” AJ explained.

“I’m not evil,” I whined.

“You’re as bad as Nick,” AJ explained.

“I don’t whine,” Nick whined.

AJ laughed, “C’mon, Donetti said he was here ages ago, we gotta go in and meet up with him.”

We all walked into the audition hall together.

“And this is the place where me and Nicky are gonna make it into the brand new boy group,” AJ announced.

“How may times do I have to tell you guys that I hate when you do that, it makes me nervous,” Nick complained.

“Jeez Nicky, tense or something?” AJ asked.

“No, just don’t make me nervous and I’ll be fine,” Nick told him.

AJ nodded his head.

We reached the auditioning room and saw Howie.

“Donetti!” AJ exclaimed as we entered.

“Hi AJ, Nick, Darla,” Howie greeted.

“He didn’t call me infamous,” I whispered to Nick.

Nick laughed.

“Was it something I said?” Howie asked.

“No, sorry, wasn’t laughing at you,” Nick explained.

Howie nodded his head. AJ, Nick, and I sat down and joined Howie in the wait for each of their auditions.

“Do you think it’ll be ok?” Nick asked me.

“Don’t worry hun,” I told him, “I know so.”

Nick leaned in to kiss me. He always said I was his good luck charm. I smiled.

A boy leaned over to Nick and asked, “Are you gay?”

Nick ignored the boy and kissed me again.

“Hey you!” the boy exclaimed at Nick.

Nick thought that it was one of the people running the audition and jumped.

“I’m…” he started to apologize, but then realized that it was just another one of the boys in the room.

“Are you gay?” the boy asked Nick again.

“Wha?” Nick asked.

“Are you gay?” the boy repeated.

AJ started laughing.

Nick took this point to make AJ laugh even harder and make a joke out of what the boy had said.

“Oh yeah,” Nick answered rolling his eyes, “I date this guy right here. He’s 5’2”, weighs 104, and wears a mini skirt.”

Nick’s plan worked and AJ laughed even harder. Even Howie and I couldn’t help but smile.

The boy was taken aback, “I’m sorry, it’s just, this is an audition for a boy group…”

“Not everybody is here to audition,” Nick pointed out.

The boy sat silent for a minute.

“That’s what I thought,” Nick answered himself.

I giggled. Nick smiled.

“I’ll be right back,” Howie said as he got up.

AJ, Nick, and I sat there for a minute until Howie returned.

“None of us are going for a while,” Howie told Nick and AJ, “So I was thinking that we all might wanna leave, get a new atmosphere.”

“Howie, you’re a genius,” Nick told him.

“Where do you wanna go?” AJ asked.

“Let’s just go exploring,” Nick suggested.

“Sounds good to me,” Howie agreed.

“Let’s go!” AJ exclaimed.

The four of us got up and left the room. We walked out into the hall; it was empty. We wandered around for five minutes, until we found a vending machine.

“Cool!” Nick exclaimed.

“Sweet, let’s all buy some sodas,” AJ announced.

The three boys pulled their wallets out of their pockets. AJ purchased a bottled Cherry Coke. Howie got a canned Coke. Nick stood for a minute, starring at the machines.

“Dazed, Nick?” I asked.

“Aww no, I can’t decide what to get,” Nick answered.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Coke or Cherry Coke,” Nick explained.

“Get a Coke,” I told him.

Nick put in his dollar and pushed the Coke button. He smiled as he did it.

“Do you want anything?” Nick asked.

“Sure,” I answered.

“Canned Sprite?” Nick asked.

I nodded. Nick handed me my Sprite and I stood there holding it. AJ and Howie stood chatting about what they might do if they got in the boy group.

“I think I might throw a party,” AJ announced.

Howie laughed.

“I’ll probably have to get a tutor,” Nick put out.

The boys laughed. At that moment, two other boys walked down the hall toward the vending machines.

“Hey,” one of the boys greeted.

Nick smiled.

“Is it ok if we talk to you?” the other asked.

“Sure,” Howie answered, “We don’t mind.”

“That’s cool,” the first boy replied.

The other smiled.

“I’m Howie,” Howie greeted.

“I’m AJ,” AJ told them.

“And that’s Nick and his girl Darla,” Howie finished.

“I’m Sam Licata,” the first boy introduced, “And this is Charles Edwards.”

Charles smiled.

“So,” AJ started, “What brings you two here?”

“Boy group audition,” Sam answered as he bought a bottled Coke.

“What about you?” Charles asked, as he also got a bottled Coke.

“Boy group audition,” Nick answered.

“Very cool!” Charles exclaimed.

Sam looked around the hall.

“Well, we’d better go,” he told us.

We nodded.

“Bye,” Sam and Charles called as they left, “See you guys later.”

Howie and AJ waved goodbye to them.

“They seemed nice,” Howie commented, “Don’t you think?”

“Yeah,” AJ agreed.

Nick nodded. Howie looked around the hall.

“We should probably go, too,” he suggested.

“Yeah, probably,” AJ agreed.

“On back to our jackets and the evil guy who should just mind his own business,” Nick laughed.

We all laughed as we walked down the hall.