- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Songfic. Lyrical credit to Vanessa Carlton "White Houses".
~Crashed on the floor when I moved in
This little bugalow with some strange new friends
Stay up too late, and I'm too thin
We promise each other it's til the end~



"Who needs love when it just fades
who needs love when it sings in vain
we all need love, a risk we take
love is beautiful, love is what we make it to be
"

"That's beautiful." she said, her voice fluttering from her throat in a light tone as if heavenly. Her hair was a cascading waterfall of gold wrapping her face in shimmering curls. The air was heavy and hot and the five teens lounged lazily under a tree that shaded them from a beaming sun."I'm Ashley." she said to Michelle Calcul. Michelle felt a smile tugging on the corners of her small lips.

"Not one for poetry..." one of the guys said playing with Ashley's hair. He had Chinese tattooes decorating his arms; three on the left side with four on his right. Ashley glared at him two other people in the group.

"Maybe you're not used to good poetry A.J. Maybe that's it." he snickered extending his hand, "Nick Carter." he smiled. Michelle shook his hand."Welcome to Boring Highschool." he said flashing teeth. She blushed and tucked a strand of loose black hair behind her ear. Her feelings at that point were unknown to most of the group but with a glance at the remaining girl that was unintroduced, she nearly melted. She was glad it was hot because her cheeks flushed red as the girl extended her hand with a knowing smile saying 'I-know-you-think-Nick-is-cute.'

"Emily Mika." she said softly and Nick drapped an arm around the quiet girl's shoulders. She had chocolate tanned skin with natural highlights of light brown hair against her dark brown.Her eyes were a light hazel color. She wore worn chucks and Michelle commented about her vintage fashion sense. She smiled a beaming smile and Michelle looked at A.J. when her name was called.

"Now isn't this better than moping around at your boring house." A.J. grinned and Ashley punched his stomach and Emily slapped the back of his head.

"Hey, I didn't get my hit." Nick chimed punching his back and A.J. grimaced as they all laughed. Michelle smiled.

"He doesn't mean your house is boring." Nick said pulling a pack of cigarettes from his vest jacket.

"Oh he's right. My house is boring." she answered and he nodded pulling a cigarette with his teeth from he pack.

"Nick's a crack head by the way." A.J. said laughing and Ashley and Emily giggled.

"Like hell I am." he muttered and she watched as a flame flickered from the lighter. The end glowed orange and then smoke fluttered into the sky.

"Want one?" he offered, "No, I don't smoke." she said holding her breath avoiding a cough. Nick looked over at Ashley and Michelle followed her gaze. Ashley was glaring at him.

"What?" he said, "I'm nervous Ashley." he said grinning, "I've just met this hot Asian girl with a great body."

"Thankyou." Michelle laughed and Ashley pulled the cigarette from his mouth sticking it in the ground.

"Ya'll gonna start a forest fire like that." A.J. giggled. He laid down in the grass watching as an ant crawled around his hand.

"Shut up stupid."

"Have some smokes Jay. The faster you die, the better." Nick cracked and Ashley and Emily smacked his arms. Michelle smiled. The air swirled around them throwing white buds from the trees and dandelion seeds into the air, dancing in swirling circles chasing the wind.

A.J. absently glanced at his watch and laid in Ashley's lap.

"Emmmmmmmmmlay." he sang sweetly. His voice had a moderate tenor tone to it laced with a raspy edge."I think it's time for yous to be going 'cuz it's like four thirtay." he sang and Emily smiled.

"See you guys. Thanks Jay." Emily said pecking Ashley on the cheek.

"I'll walk you home." Nick said standing. She smiled at Michelle and Michelle small smile broke into a grin she couldn't control. She began giggling and Ashley looked at her. A.J. poked her neck and she snorted.

"Don't do that! That's a ticklish spot." she yelled as the group of five laughed loudly.

"Okay, me stop." he said in a baby-like voice. Nick and Emily waved to them as the walked away down a dusty road.

"I can't wait to get out of this little stupid town with nothing." Ashley said sitting up.

"I know what you feel for our Nicky, me girl." A.J. giggled poking her side and she laughed. She felt so free, so alive, it was almost like a high. It was like friends sent from heaven. She was scared yet careful for feelings like these didn't last long. They were for nostalgic purposes, so beautiful, so short. she hoped this would defy them all, shove it in the faces who said she'd never be part of the "cool" kids. These were the cool kids. At least in her new world and she couldn't wait for tomorrow.