- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 11

A few minutes later after she had hung up from AJ her phone rang again.
“Hello?” she said finally after she figured out how to answer the phone.
“Oh good, you finally decided to answer. I need you down to the venue, I need help setting up.” It was Red, and surprisingly in a better mood than usual.
“Okay Red, I’ll be right there.” Win hung up the phone and grabbed her keys and pass before trotting out the door. She took the jewelry she had found in the dumpster along with her and wanted to deposit it at the front desk before leaving. When she arrived it was rather crowded with people, all shouting at the spindly manager that had helped her earlier that day. She listened closely to the rantings and noticed that each person had lost some article of jewelry.
“It’s a solid gold bracelet with seven diamonds! How can you not miss something like that!” one woman shrieked. Win worked her way to the front of the desk and turned around. She put two fingers in her mouth and whistled so loud that everyone stopped screaming.
“Ladies, gentlemen, now I understand that you have lost some kind of jewelry or something to the fact. My friend’s wife lost a ring this morning and it so I went to look through the garbage and finally found it. But along the way I also found a few other articles and I was going to leave them with lost and found. Now if you could each step forward and described what you lost.”
“I lost a gold chain with a garnet and aquamarine star pendant,” one woman said as she approached, “it was my grandmother’s, I can’t believe I lost it.” Win dug into her pockets and pulled out the very necklace. The woman shrieked loudly, clutching the necklace to her chest.
“Oh thank you! How can I ever repay you?” she asked.
“Nothing at all, okay who is next?”
Win succeeded in returning four rings, two wedding bands and two engagement rings, three necklaces, two bracelets, two odd earrings, one pair of earrings, and a set of silver eagle cuff links. The owners of the lost jewelry were so overwhelmed with gratitude when they heard she had swam through the dumpster they all insisted on rewarding her. Win didn’t want anything for just returning some jewelry that she happened to find while she was doing a favor for a friend. But no one listened to her as they pressed large bills into her closed fists.
Win stuffed the money in her pocket as she hurried outside the hotel. There she found Taylor waiting for her with a car.
“Hey Win, I’m here to take you over to the venue,” Taylor said leaning out the window. Win ran around the front of the car and hopped in the other side.
“So, what is going on between you and that AJ character?” Taylor asked as he pulled out of the hotel.
“Nothing really,” Win replied, leaning her elbow on the door.
“Oh no? What was with all the kissy kissy out on the lawn?”
“I was not kissing him! And how did you know we were out on the lawn?”
“Jen told me, she saw you two from your window in your room.” Win tried to conceal a smile.
“She did, did she? But we were not kissing!” Win replied adamantly.
“Smoochey smoochey!” Taylor teased ruffling up her hair.
“Cut that out! You and Jen were doing enough of that last night!”
“Yeah, but we’re engaged, you and AJ, that’s just scandalous!” Win had to laugh. They pulled into the back entrance of the theater and Taylor stopped the car. Win got out and leaned down to say something to Taylor before he pulled out,
“The only thing that is scandalous is how much you enjoy digging into people’s love lives.”
“Love life? Oooh, so that’s what it is! This is better than I thought!”
“Oh go on!” Win said smacking the car as Taylor pulled away.