- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 13

Win didn’t get back to her room until five AM, yawning profusely. She’d listened to AJ talk all about his life. Everything from his father walking out when he was just a child, to his stay in the rehab clinics for alcohol and cocaine. She couldn’t believe how much he’d been through, with his mother, his grandmother, even just the guys in the band. He did seem a bit bitter, and she couldn’t blame him, he often got sarcastic, and a little mean when he spoke about these things, but when she would put a hand over his, he would soften and not eat at himself so much.
AJ found himself at fault for most of the problems he had had in his life, all them except his father. He hated him with such a passion that Win felt a little nervous when he started talking about him, watching his fists open and clench, his jaw go stiff when he ground his teeth. Tonight he’d worn his glasses, but she was not going to be the one to remove them, that was his business now.
The one thing that Win noticed that AJ never really smiled, unless he laughed, his face remained stiff and never really betrayed his emotion. Win was glad tonight for the glasses, as she would not have wanted to look into AJ’s eyes as he spoke about his father.
He asked to kiss her again, but Win was not ready to fork that over. She’d rushed things to fast with other guys before, falling in love with their kisses before falling in love with them. She didn’t want to take that chance on AJ, he’d been too nice to her.
Thinking on AJ, Win fell into a shallow sleep, dreaming that they were still sitting at the pool talking.
Two hours later at seven AM, the phone rang shrilly. Win jumped up and looked around feeling as though she should have been sitting at the pool. Realizing that the phone was ringing she picked it up.
“Wake up call for room four thirteen, have a good morning.” Win hung the phone back up and groaned.
“Oh no,” she moaned rubbing her face into her hands. Jen was also groaning as she pulled herself out of bed and sat there looking at the floor for a moment.
“Damn I hate early morning rehearsals!” She yelled punching her pillow.
“God, it is too early for this,” Win replied yawning.
“What time is it?”
“Seven, oh my head hurts!” Win whined grabbing her bag from beside the bed and fishing out some aspirin. She found the bottle and popped three in her mouth, swallowing them dry. She sat a moment, trying to remember where she was, and remembered meeting AJ that night.
“What time did you get in?” Win asked, noticing that she had to wash her clothes tonight.
“Two, I’m gonna be burnt!”
“Try five, I’m going to die.”
“Five o’clock? This morning, as in only two hours ago?” Jen asked.
“Yeah, I can’t do this anymore, I need some sleep!” Win changed her clothes and then she and Jen yawned their way down to breakfast to meet some other crewmembers. Don, Taylor and the other three security guards Evan, Ray and Stew, were sitting at one end of the table. Jen and Win took seat with them. Brian and Brianna waved to Win as she sat down and she sleepily waved back.
“Late night?” Daemon asked as Win poured herself coffee, her chin leaning on her propped up hand.
“Late morning, I didn’t get to sleep till five.”
“Uh oh, somebody’s been getting busy!” Taylor cackled doing a little dance in his seat.
“N-n-no, I wasn’t,” Win replied yawning so loud her jaw hurt after she yawned.
“What did you do to our man last night Senorita!” Howie asked, slapping Win on the back so hard she spit out her coffee. He plopped down in the seat next to her grinning.
“Sorry ‘bout that.” Howie replied rubbing the spot on her back where he had hit.
“What are you talking about?” Win asked muffled by her napkin as she wiped the coffee off her face.
“You must have given him some work out,” Howie said pointing down to the end of the table where she saw mass of black hair slumped over the table.
“Oh my,” Win giggled.
“You wore him out.” Howie laughed.
“He wishes,” Win replied taking a sip of her coffee.
“So Dae, what time do you think we could possibly get done today?” Howie asked, way too perky for they morning.
“I’d say by noon, that way AJ can get some rest before the concert and we can all check out before five. Which I might add, Win, you do not have to check in or out anyone anymore. Red is the stage manager, he gives you jobs that pertain to the stage only, not running errands for just any body, or cleaning out vans. I want you at that concert tonight, I want you to help with take down. You should know how to do it already, he’s just trying to make you look like an ass because he wants a promotion. He’s not getting it. If he gives you any more trouble, speak to me, directly to me. Okay?” he was not mean as he spoke, in fact he was sincere and apologetic.
“I don’t mind doing other jobs Dae, really.”
“It’s not your place, and let me also remind you, you are not the go around for the guys either, you don’t have to go run and help them when they call. They each have their own assistants.”
“Brian didn’t call me, Red told me to go,” Win said sitting up.
“What? Red told you?” Daemon asked looking down at the other end of the table where Brian sat. He sat thinking a moment and then motioned to Brian to come to him.
“Hey Bri, did you call Win yesterday to help you look for that ring?” Daemon asked.
“No, I called Red cause my assistant had to fly home for an emergency, and Kevin’s had gone with Red to the venue. I asked Red to send Aaron back to the hotel, but Win showed up a few minutes later.”
“That son of a bitch. He’s deliberately fucking people over. He’s trying to make Win look over eager by sending her all over the place to do everything except what she’s supposed to be doing.” Red said angrily.
“Oh so you have noticed how the stage manager sends his assistant to do everything except set up the stage?” Brian asked with narrowed eyes.
“I’ve had enough of this. All right Win, I’m gonna take care of this, this isn’t your fault, it’s mine, for allowing that ass on the tour. Excuse me, I’ll see you all at the venue in an hour.” Daemon nodded to everyone and jumped up from the table, marching through to the lobby.