- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 15

They broke for lunch at noon, but Win went back to her room to sleep. She was so tired that she fell on top of the comforter and didn’t wake up again until five. She went down to dinner with her stomach rumbling and sat down beside Kevin.
“Hey sleepy head, what’s going on?” Kevin asked.
“Not much, that’s for sure. I’m looking forward to the concert tonight though, I really enjoyed your performance this morning.” Win replied doling potatoes onto her plate.
“Thank you very much, I’m glad you enjoyed it.”
“I’m looking forward to the concert tonight, I finally get to do something useful.”
“Yeah, since now you’ll be doing something related to the stage, considering your boss is the stage manager.” Kevin replied laughing.
“I know,” Win replied before a pair of large arms wrapped themselves around her neck and a scratchy mustache tickled her cheek when two lips kissed her cheek.
“Now this is the reason I got up!” AJ growled squeezing Win.
“So you finally decided to get up?” Kevin asked as AJ sat down and scooted closer to Win.
“I had a good reason.” AJ replied clearing his throat and grabbing some food in front of him.
“Win was just telling me how much she enjoyed our performance this morning.” Kevin started.
“Oh really now, why would that be?” AJ asked, Win couldn’t figure on his expression since he was wearing his sunglasses again, and just shrugged.
“You all have great voices, it was really nice to listen to, I haven’t heard good music since I quit the choir.”
“You were in a choir?” AJ asked.
“Yeah, a church choir, there was one right down the road from the house I lived in growing up. They always sang such beautiful songs, so one day I joined.”
“I thought you didn’t believe in God?” AJ asked again skeptical.
“I don’t but some of the most beautiful music ever written was about God, it’s not like I was forced to stay and go to mass or anything. I just showed up on Sundays, and I sang.”
“Very sneaky, you coming out here, gonna try a weasel a record deal!” Kevin laughed pushing her over.
“Me? Please, that’ll happen the day that Jack wakes up, puts on tap shoes and dances around the corner! Besides, I couldn’t do this, running back and forth, people in your face all the time, it’d get annoying, really quick.”
“So you any good?” AJ asked. Win held up her hand and wobbled it.
“So, so. I did a couple solos at church, but I’m not stellar, not any where as good as you guys.”
“Come on, sing something for me,” AJ said.
“No, not now.” Win replied firmly.
“Oh come on Win, we want to hear you,” Kevin started, giving her puppy eyes.
“Nope, nothing doing, we can do karaoke one night, that’s when I’ll do it.”
“Eat up, eat up, concert in two hours, I want everyone over there by six!” Daemon said walking in rubbing his hands together with a grin on his face.
“You all ready?” he asked sitting down and grabbing a potato from AJ’s plate.
“As we’ll ever be.” Kevin replied.
“Did you know Win here can sing?” AJ asked.
“Oh really now, any good?” Daemon asked, his mouth full of potato.
“No, I’m not. But I promise I’ll do karaoke at the next place that has it and humiliate myself for your entertainment.” Win said nodding her head.
“That’s sporting of you,” Howie said as he plopped down at the table in front of her.
“So you sing?” he asked lifting his eyebrows as he leaned forward.
“Oh my god! Would you all just give me a break!” Win exclaimed turning red and burying her head in her hands as she started laughing, the rest of the table burst into laughter as well.
“You brought it up,” AJ said. Win sat up and leaned her head on her hand as she laughed.
“Daemon, just remind me not to speak, at all!”