- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 19

The next morning AJ and Win woke up to Dennis screaming. Apparently he’d gotten up early to talk to the drivers and then Steve told him about the piano.
“YOU DID WHAT!” AJ and Win both nearly jumped out of their skins when they heard him yell. Kevin’s head poked into the bus and he said,
“It’s okay, Jen told me, I’m going out to get a new one now. Hey Win, why don’t you come along, Tess and I could use the company.”

Win spent the morning shopping for a new piano with Kevin and his wife Tessa. Kevin as it turned out was not mad. He said that his insurance would pay for it, besides, he had been in the market for a new piano. Consequently they spent all morning scouring the city for piano stores. Win hadn’t planned on going shopping, but Kevin had insisted. AJ wanted to come along but Brian roped him into helping him talk Brianna down from one of her hysterics. They left before AJ could get away from Brian.
Kevin and Tessa were good company, but Win was still not sure why Kevin had invited her in the first place. She had no idea about pianos, she knew how to play a few things but she was far from experienced with them. But the reasoning behind the invite became quite clear very quickly.
Kevin’s fingers trailed across the top of a gigantic mahogany grand piano as he looked it over. He studied every inch of the wood, staring at it as if it would suddenly start talking to him and answer his questions. He sat down in front of it, lifting the cover off the keys and brushing his fingers over the top of them.
“So I see you and AJ have hit it off.” He said pressing down on a key. The piano sang out the note quietly before he lifted his finger off the key.
“Ah, so this was why you invited me along.” Win said nodding, stepping up to the side of the piano where Tessa was watching him.
“He really thinks you’re special Win.” Tessa replied looking at her.
“Yes, he does.” Kevin reiterated, pressing down another note.
“Kevin, what do you want?” Win asked.
“I just wanted to thank you is all.” He replied, his fingers falling into a gentle quiet rhythm on the piano’s keys.
“Thank me?”
“Yes. You’ve brought AJ back out of his shell. I must say that I had my doubts about touring again. I mean he’s not depressed, or as anxious as before, but he’s a lot quieter than he used to be.” Kevin replied, adding more notes to the music.
“How come?” Win asked.
“After his grandmother died, he’s never been the same. He is a bit better, but he’s still bitter, so sarcastic. He doesn’t really enjoy anything. He started warring those hats and sunglasses and he hasn’t come out from behind them since. That is until he met you.” He looked up at her and stopped playing the piano.
“He’s still hurting Win. You have something, that draws him out. He’s stopped sneering at everything. Occasionally I even see him smile.” Tessa said, also looking at her as well.
“Guys, he’s known me a grand total of a month. He can’t have changed that much just because of me.” Win said confused.
“That’s the amazing thing Win,” Kevin said shaking his head, “He’s had other girlfriends before, but he’s never acted this way, not since he came back.”
“So what did you want to say to me then?” Win asked.
“Don’t let him push you away, and don’t run the first time he makes a mistake. If he messes up just a little bit he’ll try to run.”
“So I take it, you’re okay with me going with him then?” Win asked, still unsure as to why Kevin and Tessa had brought this up.
“Of course, we’re just saying that we want you to know we are on your side. We all love AJ, especially Kevin, and we want what is best for him, and you are the best for him. We’re afraid he’ll go back to his old ways if he’s given a chance.”
“I’d know if he had.” Win replied quickly. Kevin’s eye brow raised.
“Addicts of a feather flock together,” Win smiled, “Three years solid, been clean for four.” Win replied answering their silence.
“Can I help you ladies and gentleman with anything?” a greasy haired salesman asked slinking out of the office.
“Ah yes,” Kevin said looking up at Win again, staring into her eyes, gazing so hard that she felt her eyes watering, “I’ll take this one.”