- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 20

After dinner that evening the better part of the crew and all the Backstreet Boys crowded into small show room of the hotel. The band for karaoke night was setting up as Win and AJ took a seat at one of the front tables with Daemon, Nick and Howie. AJ picked up the song list laid on the table and looked it over.
“Ah, it’s pop night.” He said handing the paper to Daemon.
“You singing tonight?” Daemon asked him.
“I do it every other night, I’m tired.” AJ replied, “I’m just here to watch you make an idiot of yourself and hear Win sing.”
“Oh and are you waiting for me to make a fool out of myself as well?” Win asked.
“No, you said you could sing, I just want to hear you.” AJ replied, not looking at her, taking her hand in both of his.
“So what are you going to sing?” Nick asked eagerly.
“I don’t know, let me see the list,” Win said taking the list from AJ and looking it over. Her eyebrows furrowed and her nose twitched as her eyes traveled down the list.
“Well, aside from a couple of your songs that I am familiar with, I don’t know any of these songs, oh wait, Christina Aguilera, I know a few of hers. I guess I’ll do one of those.” Win said putting the list on the table. Howie, Nick and Daemon all snorted.
“You like Christina Aguilera songs?” Nick asked laughing.
“Yeah, the girl I shared a room with was always listening to her, it kinda gets ingrained in your brain.”
“That’s still too funny.” Howie replied.
“Hey, he who walks around singing the opening verse of Dirty Pop shouldn’t throw stones.” Win replied staring at Howie. He stopped laughing immediately. Nick and Daemon started laughing even harder.
“Check one, check one. All right ladies and gentlemen, welcome to open karaoke night here at Weston Hills. Just a few things before we begin, when you come up, just watch the bottom stair, it’s a bit tricky. Just let us know what song you’re gonna sing when you come up and have a good time.” Everyone applauded politely as the announcer finished his little speech.
“So, who will be first this evening?” he asked.
“Go on Win!” Nick said.
“No, I’m not going first. Make Daemon go.” Win said waving him away.
“Yeah, go on Win,” Daemon said.
“I’ll go!” Gina said standing up to a light applause.
“I thought you said you were going to sing.” Howie said looking across the table at her.
“I will, I just never go first, now shush!” Win replied motioning to the stage where Gina had taken her place. Gina wasn’t bad, she did a moderately good rendition of a Whitney Houston song and sat down to a tumultuous applause.
“All right, you’re second, go on Win.” Daemon said.
“Aw come on, have a couple more people go.” Win whined.
“Nope, your turn,” Nick declared standing up and pulling out her chair.
“Okay, fine.” Win replied shaking her head and standing up. She climbed the stairs to the stage, hesitated a moment then confidently strode over to the band and whispered to the band the song she wanted. She walked to the mike and waited for the music to start.
The room seemed to come alive as she began to sing. Her voice was nothing short of incredible. Her voice put Christina Aguilera to shame as she shattered her song with her experienced tone, and her unending range. Her voice was powerful, melodic and rich in sound and quality. Walk Away was her favorite song, she’d listened to it probably two hundred times and had memorized the words, the feelings, and the emotion needed to portray the song the right way.
When she was finished singing everyone in the room jumped to their feet, screaming, whistling and whooping. They were clapping so long that Win took a little bow and finally went back to her table.
All four of the guys at the table were staring at her with their mouths open.
“What?” she asked, they continued to stare at her.
“What!” she exclaimed again.
“Win, you were, incredible! Where did you learn to sing?” Daemon asked.
“Church choir, I thought I told you before.” She replied.
“You were better than, than, I don’t know, just about everyone in the music business.” Howie said still astonished.
“So I take it you all enjoyed it?” Win asked looking particularly at AJ.
“You said you sang so so, what the hell was that?” AJ asked.
“I’d call it down right unbelievable.” Nick replied shaking his head.
“That was a fantastic performance by our last singer, the applause was certainly merited. Now would anyone else like to take a try, although, it’s going to be pretty hard to follow that act.” The bandleader announced, gesturing to Win in the front row.
“Win really, you were amazing.” AJ whispered in her ear as Jenna, one of the dancers went up to sing.
“Thank you, I like when you sing a lot better though.” She replied.
A few songs later, the crowd was getting restless and not many people were volunteering to go up. It seemed Win had scared many people out of performing, she’d been so good that AJ kept pestering her to sing again for him.
“Oh come on ladies and gentlemen! No one else wants to give it a go! What about an encore from our lovely Christina singer, everyone, give her a round of applause.” The bandleader said, the spotlight flashing on Win. She grinned nervously as the people around her started to chant “Win! Win! Win!”
“All right, all right, I’ll go,” she laughed, standing up and climbing the stairs to the stage. She thought for a moment about what song to sing, then spoke to the bandleader.
Win’s performance was again, nothing short of incredible. Her voice seemed to get better with each word she sang. About half way through the song she removed the mike and walked down the stairs toward her table still singing. The spotlight followed her as she sat herself in AJ’s lap and finished the song, singing right to him.
Once she finished, she returned to the stage, placed the mike in the stand before returning to her seat.
“That was just something else.” Daemon said with his mouth agape. AJ was just sitting there, stock still, no expression on his face, but then again this was nothing new.
“That was certainly some performance.” AJ said after a moment.
“Why thank you gentlemen, thank you very much.”