- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 31

Denise could not get over how comfortable she felt around Winifred, and how comfortable Win was around her and AJ, she acted as if she had been part of the family forever. Even when AJ’s grandfather visited, and his aunts and uncles, Win was indistinguishable from the other guests. When introducing Win to his grandfather, AJ could not help but glow with pride.
“Grandpa, this is Winifred Caldon, my girlfriend, and Win this is my grandpa Earl.”
“AJ, you stop calling this girl, Win, my oh my, only Beautiful, or gorgeous can be sufficient enough.” Earl exclaimed squeezing Win’s hand. At this Win leaned into Earl’s ear and said,
“Don’t worry, he does.” Earl monopolized Win for the rest of the evening.
Win loved AJ’s family, and they all seemed just as anxious to get to know her better, considering AJ had told them everything about her.
“So AJ tells us you can sing Miss Beautiful.” Earl called out during dinner that night. The table went silent at this.
“AJ likes to go on about that. I can’t really.” Win replied. She did like his family, she really did. She’d gotten to meet all of them, look into their eyes, see their intents for her. No one wanted to harm her, everyone liked her, but she did not want to get up and sing. It was a regular old fear popping up, these were the family members of her boyfriend. That could make anyone nervous.
“Come on Win, there’s a piano in the living room, Grandpa can play.” AJ started and Win kicked him hard under the table.
“Ow! What was that for!” he said picking up his foot and examining his shin.
“For opening your big mouth, I don’t want to sing.” She whispered in his ear.
“You always say that, come on Grandpa, I’m sure you know a song that Win knows.” AJ said pulling her up from the table.
“AJ,” she whined.
“Hush up, you’d have to sing in front of them soon enough. Come on.” Earl had already taken a seat at the piano and was loosening up his fingers. The rest of the family was gathering in the living room awaiting Win’s performance.
“Go ahead,” AJ said leaving her at the piano with Earl. She gave another pleading look but he replied, “Just do it!”
Win spoke with Earl for a minute or two and they finally figured out a song she knew and he knew and he began to play. The song was such a funny one that she forgot how nervous she was.
“You’re a dirty! Dirty man, and you, you got a mind!” she sang out as Earl played. The crowd of family in the living room whistled and cheered as she sang till she was finished and they gave her an applause. She gave a little bow and returned to the kitchen to clear the table.
Earl got up from the piano and went over to AJ, throwing an arm around his neck.
“Now AJ my boy, you have found the sweetest, most modest girl on the face of the planet. Don’t you lose her. I would think about popping the question soon my boy, very soon.” AJ laughed at his grandfather, but Earl shook him sternly.
“I’m not kidding, you’re not gettin' any younger, and you need to hold on to this girl. Do not let her get away. It’s time for you to settle down.” Earl squeezed him gruffly and ruffled the hair on his head before letting AJ go.
“Oh by the way, take off those stupid sunglasses, you look like a fruit.” Earl added on his way back to the kitchen.
AJ shook his head, some people you could just never change. But marry Win? How the hell would he pull that off? She hadn’t even given any indication that she wanted to get married. How could she, they’d been a “couple” for only two months, they were close, but they hadn’t gotten close enough to talk about marriage, not yet anyway. But what about him too?
He walked to the door of the kitchen and watched Win helping with the dishes. He saw her stomach growing, and Denise smiling so wide that her mouth must have hurt. Win was due any day now, and he would be a father. The lights flashed and he saw a little boy running towards him yelling “Daddy! Daddy, sing that one for me again!” Win was carrying a baby girl towards him saying, “Now would you look at your face, you’d think I’d just had twins! AJ? AJ?”
AJ woke up and saw Win standing in front of him, her hand shaking his side.
“Are you okay?” she asked.
“Huh? Oh yeah, sorry bout that.” AJ quickly wiped the glazed look off his face and promptly kissed her on the cheek.
“We’re going out for ice cream, you coming?” she asked rubbing his side.
“Yeah, lets go.” He looked at Win with a new appreciation as they walked out to the car and piled in beside his Aunt Layla and Uncle Reggie.