- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 33

The two weeks at Denise’s house passed in a flash. Before Win knew it, the night before their departure had arrived and they were eating their last dinner together. Denise had gone all out and cooked a feast for their farewell dinner.
During the two week interval they’d heard from Brian and Brianna, baby Winifred, now being called Winnie, was doing fine, as was her mother. Brian was on pins and needles having to leave her. The rest of the guys had called to speak to Denise and Win. This was mostly to make arrangements for AJ’s big surprise birthday party for the eighteenth of July, the coming month. Other than that, and a few calls from Daemon to remind them of the return date and changes in the schedule, their vacation was completely uninterrupted.
Since it was their last night together, Denise had pulled out her camera and was taking pictures and video. She loved taking pictures of Win and AJ together. They made quite the couple.
The next morning Denise was in tears as she hugged Win and AJ goodbye.
“Now you be good, and don’t make her mad at you, you take care of her.” Denise said tearfully holding AJ’s face in her hands.
“You remember, you are always welcome here Win, I feel like I have a daughter now. You take care of AJ too.” Denise said clinging to Win.
“Both of you, make sure to call! Take care of one another. I love you both!” it was the last thing they heard as they pulled away in the cab to the airport.
“So what did you think of my mother?” AJ asked when they were finally out of earshot.
“She’s a very special lady. You’re lucky to have her.” Win replied smiling, she’d managed to keep from crying.
“We’re lucky to have her.” AJ corrected squeezing her hand.
“Yeah, we are.” Win nodded.

The trip back to Hollywood was uneventful. Win was both happy and sad about returning to the tour. Being on tour meant she got to see the entire crew, the guys, Daemon, Jen, Gina, Tessa. But it also meant that she had to leave behind Denise who she now felt was a part of her life. She now had some things to look forward to. AJ’s birthday was coming up in eighteen days. She had to find him a birthday present, although she already knew what he wanted, but she didn’t know if she could give him that.
On the eighteenth they were scheduled to be on their way through Washington and Oregon. There had been a concert scheduled for his birthday but it had been changed, and no one bothered to tell him. They had arranged to go out and celebrate his birthday the next night with dinner. But now Kevin and Howie had arranged a blowout surprise party for his birthday. They’d rented out the ballroom at the hotel they were going to stay in and invited all of their friends. They were flying out all his relatives, his mom, his grandpa and all his old school chums as well.
Besides that, the guys had written a birthday song and wanted Win to join them in singing it for AJ at his party. Win had agreed because it was AJ’s birthday and she didn’t want to argue about it. As long as she wasn’t singing by herself, she would be fine. They’d planned to practice a couple afternoons before the party when Dennis had booked AJ a couple interviews and Tessa was going to drag him out to help her find an anniversary gift for Kevin.
Win spent the next two weeks on tour doing her job and secretly practicing with the guys whenever they could catch a minute. Their version of the birthday song was really different and quite good. She wondered why they didn’t write more of their own music. Win helped Howie and Kevin smooth out details for the party and they helped her find the right gift for AJ although they said that AJ didn’t expect anything from anyone.
“We all made a rule a long time ago that we don’t exchange gifts. It’s a whole thing, we really shouldn’t get into it.” Kevin said as they perused the local mall.
“Yeah, but we’re talking about you guys. I’m his, supposed, girlfriend now, I have to find something. Not too sappy, and not too stupid either. I’m not into that whole, jewelry thing.” Win said wrinkling her nose at the jewelry cases.
“No hats, no sunglasses, we don’t want to encourage that.” Howie said as they passed a rack of glasses.
“Good point.” Kevin replied.
“Hum, this is hard. What the hell do you buy for a guy?” Win asked confused.
“Besides a stripper?” Howie asked.
“Ha ha, Howie, very friggen funny. Kevin, what does your wife give you for your birthday?” Win asked turning to him.
“Well,” Kevin said putting his hands in his pockets and turning sheepish.
“Don’t explain, I get it.” Win said shaking her head and turning away again.
“Win, think about it, I mean, you guys, this is what, two months right? And you two haven’t you know, and he really isn’t interested in much else.” Howie tried.
“Did you just incense that I should just sleep with him, and that be his birthday present?” Win asked whipping around, her eyes on fire.
“Well, guys only think of three things, food, sleep and well, sex.” Kevin replied.
“You two are the limit!” Win shouted.
“You’re not, you’re not a virgin, right?” Howie asked lowering his voice.
“HOWIE!” Win shouted.
“Well, what are you afraid of?” Howie replied. Kevin put a hand over his face and shook his head.
“How come you could talk to a woman about this and not to a man?” Howie asked again.
“Howie, just to let you know, I have not discussed my sexual history with any other woman, besides myself. And second, I guess you are right. I could talk to you guys, but not in the middle of the mall.” Win replied.
“All right, then, I’m just gonna get going.” Kevin said looking for the exit.
“Oh no you don’t, you have to stay, cause if word gets out that I was talking about sex with Howie, by myself, AJ will have a shit fit. Besides, you roped yourself into this too, with what your wife gives you for your birthday.” Win said grabbing the front of his shirt and pulling him out of the mall.
Back at the hotel Win, Kevin and Howie went to his room and sat down to talk.
“First rule, you have to swear, and I mean really swear, that you will not talk about this to AJ, or anyone else for that matter.” Both nodded, but Kevin would not look at Win.
“Okay thing is, first, I didn’t want to rush things, now that we’ve been together this long, considering it’s really not been that long, we’ve seen each other everyday and still haven’t killed each other. Second, no, I’m not a virgin, not for a while now. And third, well, this sounds kind of high school, but, I don’t know his status.” Win said, sitting back, waiting for their reactions. Kevin was sitting low in his chair with his legs crossed, bouncing his heel up and down, keeping his eyes averted.
“His status?” Howie asked.
“HIV, STD’s. I only had two other boyfriends, but before we did anything I got tested, and I made them get tested too. I don’t fool around with that.” Howie’s eyes went wide at this. But Kevin turned his face to hers and said with a furrowed brow,
“That’s what you’re worried about? Asking him to take a test?”
“Yeah, I was going with this one guy for a while and when I asked him he kinda flipped, like I was accusing him.”
“It does kinda though, doesn’t it?” Howie asked turning to Kevin.
“No, it doesn’t. Tessa asked me the same thing. It doesn’t matter if you’ve grown up together or not. You don’t know everyone’s complete history. AJ did a lot of stuff he doesn’t remember, so who the hell knows what could have happened.”
“You have a point there.” Howie said sitting up.
“It’s just hard to bring up is all.” Win said wrinkling her nose.
“But you do want to, you know? You’re not just holding out for some weird female reason, are you?” Howie asked.
“Howie!” Kevin said slapping his arm.
“Well, this is our best friend here, we gotta do something for the poor guy, he don’t even get kissed.” Howie said.
“Yeah Howie, it’s some female problem, I’ve had my period for the last two whole months.” Win replied sarcastically, then a realization hit her.
“So that’s what you guys mean by not getting any presents for each other, you just make sure the guy gets laid!” Win snapped. Kevin jumped up saying,
“Okay, this was too much! Wife is within legal rights to kill me on the spot, right now.” Win’s eyes opened in realization.
“You’re kidding me, you’re absolutely fucking kidding me! That’s what you do, isn’t it? You make sure the guy gets laid. Oh my god!” Howie turned away and Kevin was hovering around by the door.
“So what the hell do you do, get the guy a hooker or slip the wife a mickey, huh?” Win said incredulous. Again, they didn’t answer.
“Oh you all are disgusting!” she said jumping up.
“Really friggen disgusting!”
“Howie! Do something!” Kevin said.
“What?” He snapped back. But Win was already out the door and flying down the hall. When she finally got around the corner she stopped and doubled over with laughter. That had been the most fun she’d had in a long time. She’d known that Howie would bring it up, she and Tessa had a good long talk about the boys’ long standing traditions. Now all she had to do was wait and see what Howie and Kevin would do.
It didn’t take long to see the effects her and Tessa’s little joke. Later that evening at the venue where they guys had decided to take a late rehearsal for a few new songs they were working on, Win was working backstage when she heard,
“You didn’t!” it was AJ.
“Aw man, you did not tell her about that!” AJ was positively bellowing by now.
“No they didn’t, she talked to me. And I must agree, if you want to nudge your relationship with Win into that realm, you need to show her you are not afraid, and willing to take on some responsibility. And I think getting tested is the way to show that.” Tessa explained.
“Tested?” Nick asked with wide eyes.
“Yes, tested,” Tessa snapped, “it is not too much to ask, she’s only know you two months, she’s well within reason, and if you were smart, you’d want her to get tested too.”
“What the hell have you people been doing when I’m not around!” AJ exclaimed.
“We talk to Win.” Howie replied. AJ looked at Nick and Brian, both put their hands up.
“Don’t look at me, no one tells me anything any more.” Nick said. AJ turned to Brian and said,
“Okay Frack, what have you and Frick over here been doing then?”
“Nothing, I’ve been on the phone too much.”
“I blame you two! You and that friggen tradition!”
“What’s the matter AJ? At least it’s out in the open now.” Tessa said.
“Because, you should not have been talking to Win about that in the first place, and second Tessa, you should not have told these two bozos! How pissed was she when you told her?” he asked.
“She was pretty mad. But I wouldn’t talk to her about it.”
“So, are you going to get tested or what?” Tessa asked.
“Oh my god, I’m not discussing this with you!” AJ yelled before storming out.
“That went well.” Kevin said shaking his head.
“What have you two been up to?” Brian asked.
“Well, isn’t it obvious, met the new Frick, and the new Frack, ladies and gentlemen, they’re here all week.” Nick said pointing in turn to each Kevin and Howie, then applauding.