- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Part two is on it's way, i have to post it!
Part I Chapter 35

“Happy Birthday,” Win said sitting on the edge of AJ’s bed. She placed a hand on his side as she spoke and he sat up.
“Mm, morning baby.” He said leaning forward and sleepily kissing her on the cheek. His thoughts from yesterday rushed back. Oh God, today he was twenty-seven, one year closer to thirty.
“I did something special for you, I went down to the kitchen, and I made breakfast, just for you and me, out on the terrace.”
“Thank you baby, but I think I’ll stay right here.” AJ said laying back down and pulling the blanket over his head.
“Oh now what is this?” Win asked.
“If you didn’t notice I’m turning twenty-seven today.” He said muffled through the blanket.
“Oh so you’re going to hide under there for today.” Win replied.
“Yes I am.”
“Okay, so I guess I better turn in my card, cause you’ll only want to date eighteen year-old blonds, stay out and party all night and go buy a new sports car right? Your having a one-third of my life has passed crisis?” AJ popped up again.
“What?”
“I knew that would get you up, come on.” She pulled him out of the bed and as he walked out behind her he threw his arms around her waist.
“I would never dump you for and eighteen year old blond.” He said.
“I’m glad to hear that, come on, eat your breakfast before it gets cold.” Win said dragging him over to his seat. AJ sat down but not before he pulled Win into his lap.
“Now this is a happy birthday.” He said as he pulled her closer to him.
“Now just what do you think you’re doing?”
“Just saying thank you is all.” He replied nosing into her shoulder.
“Do you want your present now or later?” she asked.
“Hum, that’s a hard decision. But I think I’ll have to go with now.” AJ said with a smile.
“Okay, then close your eyes.” AJ did so, waiting with a smile on his face. Win made like she was turning around to get something off the table and grabbed a card. She turned around and said,
“You can open your eyes now.” She said and handed him the envelope. He gave her a look and opened the card, reading it out loud.
“This card entitles Alexander James McLean to one” but he couldn’t finish because Win’s lips were pressed against his. The card lay in AJ’s lap as Win’s arms snaked around his neck and moved in closer. When they finally managed to part AJ’s eyes were blinking and he had to shake his head to regain consciousness.
“Like your present?” she asked.
“Um, yeah, I did.”
“You want another one?”
“Uh huh.” The breakfast lay forgotten and was stone cold by the time AJ was hungry.

AJ headed down to lunch with Win with the biggest smile on his face that anyone had ever seen. Everyone was making remarks as to how far they had gone but AJ was quick to point out,
“No, we only kissed, that’s all.” But AJ seemed as though he’d flown to the moon and back. He did not stop smiling.

That night Dennis had scheduled AJ for an interview until the usual very last minute before the concert. He rushed AJ back to the hotel to change and told him they’d cut through the ballroom to catch a car waiting for them in the back of the hotel. AJ was rushing as if they really had a concert. So when they burst through the ballroom doors he jumped he was so surprised.
Win and the guys walked forward singing the beginnings the traditional birthday song and then as the song began to end, the guys stepped back, to wide-eyed stares from Win and let her finish their new song.
When the song ended, the entire room applauded and AJ threw his arms around Win and kissed her in front of everyone. Win was blushing by the time AJ let her go and then they rolled out the cake.
The evening was perfect. Win met more of AJ’s family and friends and they spent the rest of the evening dancing. AJ was surprised to see his mother and Win welcomed her with a big hug.
“So I see you two have finally kissed. Oh, that is so wonderful!” Denise exclaimed hugging them both at the same time.
“Oh and my little boy is twenty-seven! Oh my goodness, twenty-seven years old! And to think I used to go with you everywhere, remember when you were just sixteen,” Denise sad dissolving into tears.
“Ma, it’s okay.” AJ said putting his arms around her.
The night was a success. AJ enjoyed himself, as much as everyone else did. He and Win, were as usual, the last to leave the dance floor. She insisted on walking him to his room tonight, since it was his birthday.
“Come out on the terrace, it’s beautiful at night,” Win said once he unlocked the door.
“All right.” He said, throwing his keys on the table by the door. He followed her out on the terrace and squeezed her tight.
“Today was perfect. The day could not have been better.” He said snuggling his face into her shoulder.
“I’m glad you enjoyed it. So how’s it feel to be twenty-seven?” she asked.
“Ancient to tell you the truth. Now I can give advice and actually know what I’m talking about. But good too. Like, now, I can tell what kind of girl I really want. I can start thinking about things, like settling down, what I want to do with the rest of my life. I can slow down, and enjoy things. The first twenty-seven years were just getting here.” He replied, all the while holding tighter to Win.
“You make a good point. God, I always thought by the time I was this age I’d be married, with a couple of kids. But my life is just starting. I got a long way to go before I can slow down and enjoy things.” Win replied.
“You do what makes you happy.”
“I know, and I will. I just don’t want to miss out on all the good things, like marriage, family, I know they can be good things. Not all people walk out on their kids.” Win said patting his hands, now firmly planted on her stomach.
“Mm,” AJ nodded.
“So, how much did you like your birthday present?” Win asked turning around.
“Very, very much.” AJ said leaning down and placing a small kiss on her lips. Win cradled his head in her hands and drew his face towards hers again and deepened the kiss. AJ felt his body drain of strength as he stood there clinging to Win. His head was reeling and he stepped backward trying to steady himself. But then he noticed it was Win pushing him, back towards the room. Every time they stopped moving for a moment and he thought he’d finally regain his balance she’d push a little more.
“Win, Win, hold on a second.” He finally got a chance to breathe.
“What’s the matter?” she asked.
“Are you sure?” he asked. She nodded.
“Can I make love to you?” he asked.
“I think you’d better.” She replied closing the terrace doors and pulling the curtains closed. She returned to him in a wave of wonderful smells, lilies, apples and some kind of candy.
AJ took his time. He wanted to savor every thing about Win, and he loved saying her name as he traveled the length of her clothed body with his hands.
Taking her hands and pulling her up to meet his gaze he said,
“I love you Winifred.”
“And I love you back.” They fell into their night, the stars and the inky blackness of a moonless sky enfolding them.