- Text Size +
Part II Chapter 38

When news got around of Win’s promotion, everyone was proud of her. They all said it was about time for someone to knock Red down a peg, and that no one else deserved a promotion more than she did. Daemon spent the afternoon with Win going over her new contract and her new responsibilities. She now had to make sure that they had the right amount of rooms at every hotel, that if there were any delays, the right person would know. She had to take all of Daemon’s calls and unless he was needed, she had to answer them. She also had to inform the guys as to where they were going and what they were doing. She was to have daily conferences with Daemon and Dennis, and was expected to speak to the guys on a daily basis. Win was also responsible for changing the schedule and letting everyone know about those changes. She was given a laptop computer, a portable printer, a schedule book and a copy of her contract that stated, from now on, her title would be Executive Assistant to Tour Manager.
That night, Daemon, Dennis, Steve and AJ took Win out to dinner to celebrate her new job. After dinner, she went with AJ back to her room to collect her stuff. Jen watched sadly as Win packed her bag.
“Now AJ, this just isn’t fair, I finally get a nice roommate and you drag her away.” Jen moaned.
“Well, you could always stay with Taylor,” Win suggested.
“Yeah, right.” Jen said rolling her eyes.
“I’ll visit you.” Win replied.
“Yeah, cause now you get to be on the big fancy bus with all those supposed celebrities. You’ll soon be as snotty as they are.” Jen laughed.
“Yes, I know, I’ll be so sophisticated with all these high class people,” Win said in a mock Beverly Hills type of voice.
“Meanwhile I’m on a bus with all guys except for Tessa. So they’ll all be burping and scratching themselves all the time. No matter how rich their supposed to be, they still do all the same things. It’s like instinct.” Win replied.
“Ooh, I forgot about that. You will have to come visit me. At least there’s plenty of women on the crew, and in the band. Good luck with that.” Jen said patting Win on the back.
“Hey, we’re not all like that.” AJ pouted.
“Oh that’s right, you burp AND scratch yourself, all at the same time.” Win said as if it were a revelation.
“Well, as long as you don’t want to watch the football games, you won’t have to be bothered with it.” AJ replied shouldering one of her bags.
“I like football.” Win retorted, insulted.
“Really?” he asked.
“Yeah, a bunch of big muscled guys in spandex pants, what girl wouldn’t be?” Jen burst out laughing.
“Very cute.” AJ replied with smirk and a raised eyebrow.
“Well Jen, don’t worry, I’ll be hanging around enough, I’ll see you later.” Win said going to Jen and giving her a big hug.
“Congratulations on the job, you deserve it.”
“I hope so.” AJ led Win out the door and back to his rooming carrying her things while she carried Jack.
“I still can’t believe you did that to Red today!” AJ said once they were back in his room.
“Well, I’m glad I did.”
“Yeah, maybe now you should go to business school instead of English.” AJ replied.
“Um, no, I don’t think so, I still want to be an English professor.” Win replied.
“Or, you could always be that singer. Our label is coming in three days, why don’t you sing for him, I know you would get a deal.”
“Because, I don’t want a deal. I don’t want to be a singer. You get torn up by the media.” Win replied.
“Yeah, that does come with the territory, but you’ve got to learn to ignore it.”
“I can’t ignore it. I’ve been in the paper already, that was enough for me.”
“You mean, when you were found.”
“Yes.” Win replied distantly.
“You could still be great though.” AJ said again.
“AJ, I like to sing, I really do. But I’ve looked into some people’s eyes, and they what they want from me is not sincere. I do not want to get into a world of phony people with intentions that are not honest and clear.”
“Win, not all people in the music business are like that. And you have to expect some of that, it comes with the territory, like I said.”
“AJ, for the final time, that is land that I have no intention of ever visiting. Singing for you, your friends and family, the crew, that is all fine and dandy. But I will not be a singer. Do not bring it up again.” Win said coldly. She went to the terrace and sat down at the table, staring out into the dark sky. AJ reappeared in front of her seconds later.
“Hey, I’m sorry, I didn’t think that it bothered you that much.” He said squatting in front of her.
“Well it does, I’m sick of hearing about what everyone thinks I should do.”
“Listen, you don’t have to do anything except what you want to do. You can be anything you want.” He said consolingly.
“Thank you. I’m glad you at least think I’m capable of other things besides just singing.”
“What would be the matter if you could only sing?” he asked.
“As much as everyone says that I can sing, I can only see what I don’t have. I can’t write my own music, I can’t really play any instruments. I always wanted to be the entertainer, not a puppet with other people’s songs and music. Unless I can do it myself, I don’t want a part of it.”
“I can teach you how to write songs, and Kevin could help you with the piano. Just for hobby sake, nothing else.” AJ quickly added.
“I’ll think about it.” She said standing up. AJ rose with her.
“Come on, it’s late, lets get some sleep.” He said putting an arm around her waist. But she was still a little upset, he could tell.
In bed she snuggled up as close as she possibly could to AJ.
“Win, are you sure you’re okay?” he asked brushing the hair away from her face.
“Of course I am, now lets go to sleep.”
“All right, good night beautiful.”
“Night baby.” But there was something that was still gnawing at AJ.