- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 4

At four that afternoon the bus had to stop. The crew bus had a flat. No one bothered to get up, they were all having such a good time. Win had forgotten where she was even going, she was just enjoying hanging out with the guys. Nick taught her how to play video games and Howie taught her a few words of Spanish. Brian had finally convinced AJ to look at the rat and every hour or so, AJ had the guys burst into song for her. She had to admit this was nice. She’d never met so many nice people, and never had a chance to hang out with them for so long.
Win also never had any one continually hit on her. AJ had been flirting with her all day. Sometimes he’d lean in to say something just to her, or casually brush up against her leg and not move away. He was nice, very nice. He smiled a lot, and got her to laugh all the time. He wasn’t overly romantic, she could tell, but in a good way. A lot of the guys she had dated were the usual who were full of surprises and romantic ideas right away, that wore away after a few dates. This AJ, he seemed genuine, and she was not about to turn away his attention, the attention that he chose to lavish on her. Whether or not this went any where, she liked him even as a friend. He played everything real cool.
AJ had just leaned over to whisper something into her ear again when she heard the doors slam open and a person marching up the stairs.
“What the hell do you think you are doing!” Red yelled at the top of his lungs. The smile on Win’s face immediately dropped.
“I have had to do everything myself all day, while you are gallivanting around in your bosses’ bus! I should fire you!” he screamed.
“Sorry guys, looks like I’ll have to gallivant with you later, ‘scuse me.” She said sliding out of the booth and grabbing her things.
“Thanks guys!” she said hopping down the stairs.
“Red, lay off her, she didn’t know the buses were leaving early this morning,” Kevin said putting a hand up.
“She is none of your concern, you should have called me and told me she was here! This is totally unacceptable!” Red yelled again.
“No, what is totally unacceptable is that you are working that poor girl to death and then not even giving her a room to stay in.” Brian stood up as he spoke.
“As I said, she is none of your concern, and you would do well to stay out of her company, it would not look right for you to be associating with a girl like that,” Red said calmly, fixing a stare on all the boys.
“Mister stage manager, you would do well not to tell us who we can associate with, as it is none of your god damn business. Now get her a room at the next hotel and shut the hell up. Now get off our bus or I am sure we can find you another vocation to put your, ah, how do we say this, asinine talents to work for.” AJ recited growling, looking up from the table. Red mouthed silently, pointing at AJ.
“What? What are you gonna do, fire me? Get out of here,” AJ said pointing to the door. Red turned on his heel and marched out the door. Outside they could hear Red screaming at Win, and then the strange sound of Win actually yelling back.
“What gall you have, sleeping on the guys’ bus! You are to stay on the crew bus or the band bus, or the vans only! You are crew! Not a call girl!”
“Excuse me! Who the hell are you calling a hooker! I slept on their bus because all the other buses were full! It’s awful funny how everyone’s assistants around here happen to have it better than I do!”
“You have it better than you ought to! Now I am warning you, stay away from the Backstreet Boys or you’ll be fired!”
“Oh really, and what other dumbass are you gonna find to fill my job, huh? Just think Red, as soon as I’m gone so are you!” The rest of the yelling was lost as the buses roared to life and the doors slammed shut.