- Text Size +
Part II Chapter 40

By the end of the week Win had shown Daemon and Dennis she was extremely capable and efficient at her job. So much so that she had plenty of free time as did Daemon who was no longer burdened with over thirty phone calls a day. Daemon let Win know that the label people were coming to see the tour and wanted everything up to scratch.
By Friday afternoon Win was ready and waiting. AJ was a little nervous, as were the rest of the guys, being that this was the man that kept them in the music business. Win was not really worried, she’d done the best job possible and on the far off chance that the guys remembered to have her sing for the guy, she was prepared. Not only was ready to sing, but she was ready to refuse his offer to sign her if that even crossed his mind.
At four o’clock this guy would be arriving to have a sit down meeting with the guys, Dennis, Daemon, and his new assistant, Win. Right now they were on their way back towards Texas, then they’d pass through the south, up through Florida, back along the east coast, through Pennsylvania and end in New York with a final US concert in Madison Square Garden. That is, if the label was happy with what little success they had made.
Four o’clock rolled around and the people showed up. Everyone made their greetings then Daemon pulled Win forward.
“Clive, this is Winifred Caldon, our new executive assistant, Win, this is Clive Davis, the head of Jive Records.” Win nodded her head and held out her hand.
“Nice to see you again Clive.” She said smiling.
“I see you’ve moved up in the ranks, didn’t take you long.” Clive replied.
“All it took was dropping an iced latte down the pants of my boss, Red.” Win replied. AJ, Nick, Brian, Howie and Kevin all stood there gapping, as did Daemon.
“You all seem confused as to how I know Win here. A good friend of mine, minister at a church in Pennsylvania told me about this girl who could sing. I humored him and visited the church. When I heard this girl sing I offered her a deal and she turned me down flat.” Win interrupted him.
“Then he offered me a job, I waited for a while, called him up, and the rest is history.”
“So, you, knew Clive, all this time?” Daemon asked.
“Of course I did.” Win replied.
“You knew you’d be seeing him again today?” Dennis asked.
“No, I had no idea who was coming today. No one said it was Clive Davis specifically, so I didn’t assume, but you all have a meeting to attend to, don’t let me stand in the way.” Win said taking a seat at the large office table. Everyone followed suit and when everyone was seated Clive said,
“My offer still stands Winifred.”
“Thank you, but no thank you. This job suits me just fine.” Win replied casually. Clive however was not to be put off with this cool attitude.
“I’m gonna make you an offer that you can’t refuse Winifred.” Clive said.
“I highly doubt that, but go ahead.” Win replied.
“The boys here are going be on their third single for this new album of theirs. They’ve agreed, and so have I on ‘Siberia’, but here’s where the deal comes in. I want them to record it again, and I want you to collaborate with them. One song, one video, that’s the deal I’m offering.” Clive said sitting up, his fingers intertwined.
“Clive, I am afraid you are trying to bargain with the wrong person. Your clients are over there.” Win replied gesturing towards AJ and Brian.
“We’d love to work with Win. She’s great singer, and we’re all good friends with her.” Brian said.
“Yeah, that would be awesome.” Nick said next. Kevin and Howie also followed with comments.
“It looks like everyone else thinks it’s a good idea. What say you Win?” Clive said again.
Win took a moment and looked down in her lap. It was one song, it was one video. The guys said they wanted her to sing with them. AJ wanted her to sing with him. She looked over to him and he said,
“If she doesn’t want to do it, let her alone Clive.” But he was staring at her, slowly nodding his head. She could see through the glasses now, despite that his eyes were hidden. His eyes were in his words. Slowly she looked back into her lap and thought again. AJ wanted this for her. He wanted her to succeed. There was nothing wrong with trying. She lifted up her head with a smile spread across her face.
“I’ll do it.” Shouts and cheers went up from all sides of the room. Clive leaned back nodding and smiling.
“Fantastic.”