- Text Size +
Part II Chapter 41

The tour was in a state of chaos now that Win had agreed to do the song and the video. Daemon was floored, the guys were ecstatic and Clive looked as though Christmas had come four months early. Other business was finished quickly, very quickly in fact since Win was Clive’s main motive of visiting. When finally away from all the commotion, AJ picked Win up in his arms and spun her around the room.
“Now why on earth did you agree to do that?” he asked more pleased than confused. He sat her down on the edge of what was now their bed and she said,
“I was thinking about how lucky I am, the wonderful things I have. It seemed awful stupid to be mad at people who thought I could really be something. I know better than to count my eggs before they hatch. I’m lucky to have people who believe in me. I just thought that I should believe in myself as much as everyone else did. And this is just a small step. I’m not signing any contracts or anything. This is also just to shut all of you up for a while.”
“I’m glad that you’re taking a chance, for whatever reason it is, and it is going to be such fun singing with you!” he said squeezing her again.
“All right, enough! You’re gonna pop my lungs, I won’t be able to sing.” She laughed.
“I’m so happy for you Win, I really am.”
“You better get to your concert.” Win said patting his leg.
“You gonna come watch?” he asked.
“Sure, I’ll come watch.”
“Good, lets go then.” AJ kissed her again before they both grabbed their things and went down to the venue.
Win waited for the bad side to drop out of her brain as she thought about what she was going to be doing. She couldn’t be upset about it. Secretly she had always wanted to be an entertainer, but she never thought she was good enough. She didn’t want to be a puppet, she wanted to do her own songs, and be herself on stage. But this was a good way to try out the spotlight, if she didn’t like it, she didn’t have to go any farther with it. But on the other hand if she did like it, there was no telling what could happen next.

Win watched the show from the audience that night with Taylor, Clive and Dennis in the front row. AJ waved at her several times, she felt as though she had a show being put on just for her. It was a flawless show, and Win enjoyed herself immensely. She felt as though she were on top of the world.

That feeling did not last long. The next morning on the bus, Clive had sat down with Win, Dennis, a contract and a pen.
“As soon as this single is played out we’ll start work on your album and you can open for the guys in Europe.” Clive said grinning handing the pen to Win.
“I didn’t say I was doing an album, or performing any concerts.” Win said placing the pen on the table and grabbing the contract and starting to read.
“Well course you want to put out an album, and the boys’ audience will love you. I’ve got a great bunch of songs your voice will fit perfectly.” Clive replied enthusiastically. Win grunted and continued to read for another ten minutes until she’d read through the entire contract. Flipping over the last page she looked up and dropped the contract on the table.
“Nothing doing Clive. I said I’d record the one song with the guys, and the one video. I am not performing any concerts, I am not making any albums, and I am not signing any contracts.” Win replied.
“Why not? I don’t understand this Winifred, you could be a superstar!” Clive said.
“Yeah, but at what cost? Don’t play me like a fool Clive. I may not have watched a lot of television but I have read a lot, and I know what you, and your opposition do to people. And I am also aware of what needs to occur in order to have a hit.” Win replied pushing the pen towards Clive along with the contract.
“And just what might that be?” Clive asked.
“First of all, you have to have some electronic, hooky, dance number song, about heartbreak, with either disgusting lyrics or ones you can’t understand, and then you have be willing to wear barely nothing, or nothing at all, and then comes the fact that you have a shred of talent, which is only an afterthought.” Win replied angrily.
“Do you want to do the song and the video or not?” Clive asked fuming.
“I will do them, but I will not sign anything. Do you still want me, or not?” Win asked.
“Then sign the contract!” Clive exclaimed.
“No.” Win got up and went back to the game room where AJ, Brian and Howie were watching a baseball game.
“Things going all right out there?” AJ asked as she took a seat between him and Howie.
“No, Clive wants me to sign some giant contract that makes him rich if I market well, and me a stress case.” Win replied.
“You still going to do the song then?” Nick asked.
“If he still wants me to do it, but I’m not signing a contract, plain and simple.”
“You stick to your guns Win,” Brian said looking at her.
“I agree.” Howie replied.
“Me too, if it doesn’t feel right, and you don’t know what you’re signing, don’t do it.” AJ said seriously.
“Oh I know what I’d be signing. A five year contract with a three album minimum, two eighteen month tours, and fifteen percent.” Win replied.
“What?” Brian said surprised.
“Yup. Not to mention that he picks all the songs, directs everything, and wants to run my life.”
“Five years?” AJ asked.
“Yes.” Clive’s head popped in the door.
“So, have we cooled down? Ready to sign the contract?” Clive asked.
“Nope, unless you scratch out, albums, five years, tours and hand picked songs, I’m not budging.” Win replied.
“You are hopeless Win! Fine, I’ll have another contract written up in the morning.” Clive said before storming back out to the kitchen.
“Well done Win.” Brian said with a smile.