- Text Size +
Part II Chapter 45

Win woke up sore and still tired. She was draped across AJ’s lap, while he sat up against the headboard, head lolling to one side as he slept. She remembered the previous night and their discussion. Over on the nightstand was an overflowing ashtray. The air was stale with the scent of cigarette smoke. Win wrinkled her nose at this, it had been a long time since she had smoked. Now she remembered why she quit.
One of the first things she had noticed about AJ was that characteristic stale smoke smell. He didn’t smoke often, but just enough to keep the smell lingering about him. It didn’t really bother her that much at first, but now it did. It was nauseating. Just the thought of it now bothered her. Getting up quietly, so as not to disturb him, she hobbled across the room and flung open the doors to the tiny patio that was just large enough for two people to stand on. The stale air whooshed past her into the open and her stomach swooped sickeningly.
Putting her hand over her mouth she quickly went to the bathroom and closed the door before vomiting. She stumbled over to the sink and rinsed her mouth out. She wiped her mouth clean and stood up. Her face was unrecognizable to her. Her cheeks had bruised purple and black. She had a slight black eye. Her temple looked as though an egg had been forced under her skin. She lifted her shirt and stared at the large tarantula shaped black and yellow bruises across her stomach and up her side. She felt her sore ankle and grimaced from the pain. So was her life.
There was a knock at the door .
“You okay baby?” AJ said catiously. Win opened the door and smiled at him.
“I’m fine, just a little too much cigarette smoke for me.”
“I’m sorry,” he said gently hugging her.
“That’s all right, you’re just going to quit smoking is all.” She replied patting him on the back and hobbled to her suitcase.
“What do you mean, I’m going to quit?”
“You need to quit smoking. It ruins your voice, your health, and it makes you smell.” Win replied searching for her clothes. She pulled out some comfortable jeans and a long sleeve sweatshirt.
“It’s never bothered you before,” he replied.
“Well, it bothers me now. So you’re quitting. End of story, I want you around for a while.” She sat down on the bed and removed her socks and removed her shirt. AJ gasped at the bruises that enveloped her body like a giant pair of diseased hands.
“What’s the matter?” she asked pulling the sweat shirt onto her arms and holding it before she put it over her head. He walked over, and kneeled in front of her, his hands, clasping her sides.
“Win, I want to make you a promise, okay, now just listen to me. I promise you, that I will never, allow anyone to hurt you ever again. I promise you, that I will never, harm you, in any way, shape or form. And I also promise, that I will, to the best of my ability, care for you, physically, financially, if you want me to, and most of all spiritually.”
“That’s very sweet AJ. But why do you need to make a promise to me? You’ve already given me everything I need.” Win said running her fingers through his hair.
“Because I want you to know. I need you to know how serious I am about you. I will do anything it takes to make you happy. I would do anything you asked me, because now, you are my sole reason for being. You are the reason I didn’t give up. I came back to life, so I could meet you. God saw you and led you to me. And I want him to know, and you, that I am going to be forever grateful for it.” She cocked her head to one side and smiled at him.
“I don’t know if God had anything to do with it. But if he did, I’ll be grateful to him too. I’ve gotten lucky so many times. I was thrown away twice, and twice I was rescued. You saved me from Red. I got off the streets, I have you. Maybe there is a God up there. But if there is one thing I believe in, it’s angels, cause I found me one right here. And though he may be rough around the edges, imperfect, and a little different from the rest of the world, I feel his wings enfold my shoulders every time he holds me, and I hear truth and music in every word he says.”
“Win, I want you to take this, I’ve worn it for a long time now,” AJ said picking up his hands and removing his silver ring from his right hand. He held it up for her to take.
“Serenity?” she asked, running a finger over the engraving.
“It’s the prayer I’ve said everyday since I went to rehab. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. I want you to hold this, as a promise, from me.” He said looking up at her, his hands resting on her thighs.
“You don’t have to give me this. It means so much to you.”
“But you mean more to me now.”
“AJ,” Win said pulling him up beside her and hugging him tightly. She kissed him when she finally let go and then put the ring on.
“You still have to quit smoking though.” She said slipping the shirt up over her head. All AJ could do was laugh and hug her again.