- Text Size +
Part II Chapter 46

The hearing went quickly. The judge could not dispute the photos, nor Win’s appearance. Red was fined five thousand dollars, and to serve five years in prison for attempted rape and battery. AJ helped Win out of the courtroom muttering,
“It wasn’t enough.”
“He’s being punished, that is enough.” Win replied. They were welcomed back at the hotel for lunch by the entire crew. Win heard plenty of dirty comments about Red, and sympathy from everyone. The guys had all chipped in and bought her flowers. What surprised Win the most was Denise showing up.
“Mom, what are you doing here?” AJ asked.
“You called and told me what happened, I told you I was coming. Oh Winifred, sweet heart!” Denise wailed, flinging her arms around Win.
“Oh, Denise hi there, oh, watch that,” Win said wincing when Denise squeezed her.
“I am so sorry darling! Come on now. I’m here to take care of you.”
“I didn’t think you were serious mom.” AJ replied as Denise took Win off his arm.
“When one of my children needs me. Whether it be you, Win, or one of the boys, I’m going to be here, to take care of them. And now Win needs me. I wouldn’t be anywhere else.”
“Oh mom, hang on,” AJ said scooping Win up and carrying her into the dining room.
“He is such a gentleman, Denise, you brought him up right.” Win said as AJ sat her gently in her chair and sat beside her.
“At least I did something right.” Denise said smiling smugly as she sat down on Win’s other side.
“You did every thing right ma.” AJ replied quietly, keeping his gaze away.
Nick sat down across from them a minute later. He’d been at the hearing that morning and given his testimony. Afterwards he’d left from the courthouse to go get something before returning to the hotel.
“How you feeling Win?” he asked.
“Oh, better. What’s the schedule for today?” Win asked.
“Nothing for you my dear. You are going to rest.” Denise said stoutly.
“I can still take phone calls and take care of business. A sprained ankle and a few bumps and bruises don’t keep me from answering the phone.”
“Yes it does. You need to take it easy. And I’m not leaving until every last one of those bruises has healed and you can walk properly.” Denise said adamantly.
“It’s better not to argue with her, she always wins.” AJ whispered.
“I heard that.” Denise said shooting a look at him.
“Then you know it’s true then.” He replied as Win laughed. Daemon entered the dining room and took a seat beside Nick.
“You are on bed rest until further notice, I’m taking over until you are better.” Daemon said sternly.
“What is this, a conspiracy?” Win laughed.
“Everyone just cares about you is all. We want you to get better.” Nick said quietly.
“I have a few bumps and bruises, that’s all, I’m not a paraplegic. I’ll be fine. It’s not a big deal.” Win replied.
“Win, Red attacked you,” Daemon started.
“And don’t I realize that better than anyone? Why do you keep bringing it up, I just want to get back to normal. Okay, so all of you, I don’t need to be babied, I’m fine.” Win said, a slight angry tone to her voice. The table went quiet.
“Thank you.” She said sitting back.
“I appreciate your concern, it is very sweet of all of you. But I just want to go back to normal.” AJ was not saying anything. Win was looking around at the redirected stares.
“I’m gonna quit smoking,” AJ said to change the subject.
“Hallelujah!” Denise said clapping her hands together.
“Thank God,” Kevin said nodding.
“About damn time!” Daemon said.
“I didn’t know so many people didn’t like it.” AJ said surprised.
“We were trying to be nice, you smell. Which, come to mention it, Win smells, just a little bit too.” Howie said.
“Yes, I smoked a few last night. I only smoke when I need to. I’m finished, that’s for sure.” Win replied.
“How come you’re all on my case, when Steve here smokes?” AJ asked pointing to Steve, sitting at the end of the table.
“What did I do?” Steve asked with a full mouth.
“We don’t especially like when he smokes either.” Daemon replied.
“What about, what’s his name?” Steve tried.
“Face it, you two are the only ones on the tour who smoke.” Gina said as she walked up behind AJ and patted his shoulder.
“Oh, are we going for a smoke free tour now?” AJ asked.
“You know, that would be an idea. A really good one as a matter of fact. Steve, you’re quitting too.” Daemon said sitting up.
“Thanks a lot AJ!” Steve said a little annoyed.
“So we want to keep you all around, shoot us.” Denise said. AJ shook his head.
“I saw that.” Denise said leaning around Win and pointing at AJ.
“What?” he asked accused.
“You need to stop smoking, and this goes for you too missy.” Denise said giving Win an eye as well.
“I haven’t been smoking, last night was the first time in four years. I was finished with that a long time ago.” Win replied, her hands up in defense.
“You better not. Now, eat up.”