- Text Size +
Part II Chapter 47

They were now in Miami. AJ’s house was here so he, his mother and Win stayed there. It would be three weeks before they moved along, giving them time to record the single, put in appearances, perform several concerts and do the video. Brian lived about an hour and a half away from AJ, Nick and Howie were sharing a duplex on the beach, while Kevin and Tessa were camping at the hotel with the crew.
AJ owned a beautiful Miami mansion in the center of town. Not too close to the city, and not too far from the beach. He liked the beach, but he said,
“I’m not stupid, Florida is hurricane territory, why would I buy a house on the beach?” None the less, it was a gorgeous home.
Upon entering the home a short woman with dark brown skin and a thick braid of black hair greeted them.
“Ah Seinor! Bienvieniedos!” she said cheerily.
“Gracias, hola Edith. Edith, tu recuerdes mi Madre Denise, y este,” AJ said in his broken Spanish, leading Win forward.
“Ah, tu novia! Que bonita! Hola senorita!” Edith said shaking Win’s hand.
“Uh, right,” AJ said.
“Como se llama bonita?” Edith asked.
“Eh?” Win said confused. She felt stupid, she’d never learned any Spanish.
“Tu llama?” Edith asked again.
“She’s asking your name,” AJ whispered in her ear.
“Oh! Okay, me llama, Winifred.” Win said turning red.
“No hablas Espanol? Esta bien, te enseno. Okay, no speak Spanish. I speak some English, not much, only little.” Edith replied.
“Donde esta los perros?” AJ asked.
“Oh, en la concina.” Edith replied. AJ gave a long low whistle. The scraping of toenails and collars jangling echoed around the corner as three dogs came pelting towards AJ.
“Hey, my babies!” AJ said kneeling down on the floor and getting covered in doggie kisses.
“Oh, can I take your rat?” Edith asked Win, who was holding onto Jack’s cage.
“Thank you Edith.” Win smiled as AJ played with his dogs. Talking in baby voices to them, ruffling up their fur and ears.
“You never told me you had dogs.” Win said as the smallest of the three, white in color, like a small white retriever, approached her and sniffed her leg.
“Well, that’s Daisy, this is Tank,” AJ said pointing to the largest dog, a brown blond in color with curly fur, “and this is Serenity.” He said picking up a medium sized dog, that looked like a miniature collie. Win had to laugh.
“What?” he asked as one of the dogs licked his face.
“It’s too funny, to see you rolling around on the floor with dogs.” She replied.
“They’re my babies. Aren’t you Daize? Right babies?” he asked in his baby talk voice. Win kept laughing.
“Seinor es loco, when he plays with dogs, todo del tiempo.” Edith commented with a laugh. Win nodded.
“Was your trip good sir?” Edith asked.
“Oh very good Edith.” AJ replied, still playing with his dogs.
“Denise, como esta?” Edith asked. Denise burst into rapid Spanish. She and Edith spoke excitedly for a few moments.
“All, please come in kitchen, I have dinner, almost done.” Edith said walking towards the kitchen. Win went to grab her bag Edith said,
“Oh no no no, I take, later, you have long trip, time to rest.” Edith led Win into the kitchen herself, setting Jack on the counter and stuffing a piece of lettuce into the cage for him.
“Sientate, sientate, I get drinks for you!” Edith said hurrying away out of the dining room.
“She certainly has a lot of energy. So is she your?” Win asked confused.
“Oh, she just takes care of the house for me. Takes care of the dogs while I’m gone, she usually cooks and cleans for me while I’m here.” AJ replied.
“Edith is the daughter of a friend of mine in Maryland, I suggested her to AJ, to care for the house while he was away.” Denise said with a smile. The dogs had followed AJ into the dining room and were crowding around him to be pet.
“Here we are, iced tea for everyone!” Edith said returning to the room with a heavily laden tray.
“Dinner will be ready in ten minutes!” She said with a smile before darting off again.
“This house, is so big AJ. It’s incredible.” Win said, just looking around at the shear size of the room they were in.
“This is the kind of house that I wanted to get for mom, but she wanted that little dinky thing instead.” AJ said ruffling the fur on Tank’s head. Daisy and Serenity were already lounging in his lap.
“Oh, what do I need with a big house like this for? Besides, what it would take to clean it.” Denise said grabbing a glass of tea.
“I said I’d hire someone to take care of the house for you mom. You deserve nice things. I don’t understand why she won’t let me take care of her.” AJ replied.
“I don’t need someone to take care of my house, I am perfectly able to do it myself.” Denise retorted.
“Well that is the whole point. You wouldn’t have to do it, so you could spend your time doing other things you want to do instead.” AJ pointed out.
“All I do is visit relatives and do watercolors, I don’t need too much time for that.”
“But aren’t other things you want to do? Go to the beach, go shopping, I don’t know, a new hobby?” AJ asked.
“The only hobby I have is you dear.” Denise replied.
“I am not a hobby. I’m your good for nothing son, who should have made you move down here with me. Where you could have everything taken care of.” Win sat back and watched Denise and AJ argue for a strait ten minutes until Edith came back in with dinner.
“Enjoy!” she said and was about to walk away when Win said,
“Edith, why don’t you join us?” Edith blushed red and said.
“But I’m not supposed to eat with the boss, that’s rules.” She said timidly.
“Oh baloney, and you know it! You always go sneak off, and I have to drag you back. You come sit down, right now, I’ll go get you a place setting.” AJ said getting up and pulling out a chair for Edith. She was glowing red by the time she sat down.
“I don’t think of you as a maid or something Edith,” AJ said, setting her a plate and silverware on the table, “I think of you as family.” Edith didn’t stop blushing until dinner ended.