- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 5

That evening they arrived at their hotel by six o’clock. Red had yelled at Win for two hours strait about staying on the guys’ bus, but she couldn’t stop thinking about how much she had enjoyed hanging out with people for a change.
As soon as the buses stopped Red sent Win to work checking everyone in, handing out keys and unloading luggage.
“You are on garbage duty at the party tonight, make sure that the room gets cleaned up and do not let me catch you hanging around the buses again. Oh, and here,” Red shoved a key into her hand and she noticed the number “413” inscribed on the metal tag. She smiled slightly to herself, this would be her first night to ever stay in a nice hotel. Despite the fact that she would have to run garbage at the party, she was glad she would have an actual bed to sleep in that night and a shower.
She was finished unloading by seven thirty, and the party was not until eight, so she grabbed her bag and her rat and set off to her room. She headed up to the eighth floor and found her room at the end of the hall. She inserted the key and turned the knob. It was more beautiful than she imagined, peach-colored walls and two twin beds with thick white linen comforters. The windows looked out over the city and the pool below.
“Hey, how you doin’?” an obvious New York voice asked. Win turned and saw the perky blond she’d only seen twice before.
“Hi, I guess we’re sharing,” Win said walking in and closing the door.
“My name’s Jen, I don’t think I’ve met you before.” She said holding out her hand.
“I’m Win, nice to meet you,” she said shaking Jen’s hand.
“Nice rat you got there, get him out of the sewer?” Jen asked with a laugh.
“Nope, domestic rat. Okay if he stays here?” Win asked.
“Hey no problem, last apartment I had there were rats running through it, rats in a cage, are a piece of cake. I’m the assistant to the band manager, what do you do?”
“Assistant to Red, the stage manager.” Win replied.
“Ouch, he’s a jack, that’s for sure. You can have the bed next to the window, I’m afraid of heights.” Jen said sitting down on her bed to comb her hair.
“Yeah, whatever works. Wow what a view.” Win said setting down her bag and rat on the bed.
“You looking forward to the party tonight?” Jen asked pulling her hair back into a ponytail.
“Not really, I’m on garbage detail, fun fun,” Win replied, “Mind if I use the shower?”
“No go right ahead, but what do you mean you’re on garbage duty? The entire crew is invited,” Jen asked.
“Not according to Red, I get cleaning duty, I’ll be back in a minute,” Win said grabbing her clean clothes and heading into the bathroom.
“Hey Win, you got a visitor.” Jen said knocking on the door a few minutes later.
“Okay, I’m coming!” Win called back. She wondered who would be visiting her, besides Red. She brought her towels and clothes with her ruffling her hair dry with a towel.
“Who is it?” she asked. But Jen didn’t have to say anything, AJ was sitting on the bed looking at her.
“You ready to go to the party?” he asked. Win looked down at her ratty jeans and T-shirt.
“Um, not really, I’m supposed to be on clean up,” Win said grabbing her hairbrush out of her bag and pulling it through her hair.
“I already spoke to Red, you are coming to the party, like I said before, as my date.” Win couldn’t take her eyes off him. He looked so handsome, in just a pair of black slacks and a white button down shirt.
“I really don’t have anything nice to wear, I’ll feel like an idiot.” Win replied.
“I’ll lend you something, come on AJ, give her five minutes, and I’ll make her the bell of the ball.” Jen said jumping up and going to search through her suitcase.
“Okay, but don’t keep me waiting too long.” He said standing up and walking over to Win, he looked at her and smiled, brushing her hand with his before walking towards the door again. Giving her a wink, he pulled the door closed as he departed.
“Ooh, so what is going on between you and the J-man?” Jen asked popping out of her suitcase with a long red skirt and a frilly yellow tank top.
“Nothing is going on between us, he just asked me out on a date is all, he really didn’t give me a choice.” Win replied with a blush.
“Here you go, oh, what size shoes do you wear?” Jen asked handing her the clothes.
“A seven, but you really don’t have to go through all that trouble.” Win said, but Jen had already dove back into her bag.
“So he asked you out, wow, that’s a first,” Jen said.
“What’s a first?” Win asked looking at the red skirt.
“AJ actually asking a girl out, they usually just fall at his feet, of course that’s because of the whole rock star thing,” Jen replied handing her a pair of silver slipper shoes.
“I must admit though that he just kinda said that he was taking me to the party and I didn’t correct him. But I am not that kind of girl, he’ll find that out very quick.” Win replied.
“You have any jewelry?” Jen asked. Win shook her head.
“Boy girl, didn’t you pack anything for this trip?”
“Actually I packed everything I own,” Win said looking at her meager backpack.
“That’s all you have? What happened?” she asked sympathetically.
“Can’t own too much while you live on the streets. This job is a god send.” Win replied.
“I’m gonna try these on, thanks so much Jen, I really appreciate it.”
Win emerged a few minutes later dressed in the skirt, slippers and tank top. She got out her chain and ring and put them around her neck. Jen lent her a pair of silver beaded earrings and helped her fluff out her long mud colored hair. Win looked at herself in the mirror, she didn’t recognize herself.
“Oh my god, I can’t believe it,” Win said looking at her reflection.
“He’ll be in love for sure, come on,” Jen said pulling her towards the door.
“That’s not what I was going for.” Win replied being dragged to the door.
“Yes it is and you know it. And I know AJ, he doesn’t just ask girls on a date unless he means it.” Jen replied.
“Does he always wear the hat and sunglasses?” Win asked.
“Actually, yeah, it’s kinda like his signature style. Come on,” Jen opened the door and found AJ waiting, leaning on the wall on the opposite side of the hall. He stood up when he saw Win.
“Hey buddy, mind escorting a couple ladies to a party?” Jen asked.
“I’d love to, ladies,” AJ replied holding out both arms for them to take. Jen went around to AJ’s right side and hooked her arm in his.
“Winifred, the ball awaits,” he said smiling. She timidly stepped forward and took his arm with a nervous smile. She didn’t like not being able to see his eyes.