- Text Size +
Part II Chapter 50

AJ woke up in the middle of the night to Win thrashing around in bed, crying. He woke her gently, and she sat up against the headboard, holding her heart, catching her breath.
“What’s the matter?” he asked.
“I dreamt about it. About being raped again. I heard him again, walking up behind me, and I couldn’t get up. I just couldn’t get up.” Win said closing her eyes, her breathing finally returning to normal.
“It’s okay, there’s no one to hurt you here. You’re safe.” AJ said pulling Win into his arms.
“I haven’t had that dream in years.” Win said as AJ rocked her back and forth. He cringed, feeling guilty, as he had made her tell him what happened, bringing it up again and making her think about it for the first time in years.
“I’m all right, really, I’m okay.” Win said looking up at AJ.
“You sure?” he asked.
“Yeah, lets just go back to sleep.” She said.
“Okay, I’ll be right back.” AJ said slipping out of bed. Win hunkered down in the pillows and closed her eyes. AJ grabbed his cigarettes and lighter from the side table and tiptoed to the patio.
“If you are going to smoke, forget about coming back to this bed.” Win said. AJ turned around and found himself looking at the back of Win’s head.
“Damn, she’d good.” He said to himself, as he walked back to bed, forgetting the cigarette. He slipped back into bed, gently putting his hands on Win so as not to hit her bruises, and felt her body relax next to him. She took his hand, gently laying on her hip and pulled it under her arm, pressing his fingers to her lips.
“I love you AJ.” She whispered.
“I love you too Win.” He replied nuzzling into her shoulder, and thinking to himself, he had more than he deserved from this wonderful woman lying next to him. He resolved to quit smoking and throw out his cigarettes in the morning.

“Mister AJ! Mister AJ!” a small voice called. AJ sat up shaking his head.
“Mister AJ! Mister AJ!” the door flew open and a little girl careened into the room and jumped up onto the bed.
“Mister AJ is home!” she squealed happily, crawling onto AJ’s lap.
“Oh, Latecia, hey baby, how are you?” he asked with a yawn. Win sat up, smiling when she saw the little girl. She was very sweet, bright brown eyes, black hair, and skin much lighter than her mother’s.
“Who are you?” Latecia asked brightly as AJ kissed the top of her head.
“Latecia, this is Winifred, Win, this is Latecia. The cutest little girl in all of Florida.” AJ said tickling her. She giggled and laughed.
“Leti! Leti! Donde esta!” They heard being called from the hall.
“She’s in here Edith!” AJ called. Edith dashed in.
“Leti, bad girl, you don’t do this!” Edith said going to grab Latecia off of AJ’s lap.
“Oh she’s fine Edith. It’s a nice way to wake up.” Win said smiling.
“She shouldn’t bother you.” Edith said embarrassed.
“Mommy, mister AJ and his friend are nice, they like me.” Latecia said with a smile.
“You spoil her!” Edith said shaking a finger at AJ.
“I can spoil her as much as I want.” AJ said tickling her again.
“Leti, come on, I make breakfast now.” Edith said holding out her arms to pick up her child.
“No, I want to stay with Mister AJ and Winniefredie!” Latecia whined.
“We can watch her Edith.” Win offered.
“Seguro?” she asked AJ.
“Yes Edith, she’ll be fine! I can watch a four-year-old for a while. I’m starting to think you think I’m incapable of doing anything!” AJ said making Edith laugh.
“Pallajaso!” Edith said giving him a little push.
“Go on! Get out of here! You’ll have most of your daughter by the time you come back.” AJ said earning him a smack from Edith.
“Be good Leti!” Edith warned on her way out the room.
“Hey Leti, go in the closet and grab that red backpack.” AJ whispered in her ear.
“Okay!” Leti giggled and leapt off the bed careening towards the closet. She pulled the door open with some difficulty and dragged out AJ’s red backpack. She pulled it over to the bed and AJ helped her place it on the bed.
“Now open it.” He said. Latecia unzipped the bag and squealed with glee.
“Ooh, Egypt Barbie!” she said pulling the pink and white box out of the bag.
“Is she the right one?” AJ asked smiling.
“Yeah! See, says right here, Egyptian Princess. She’s so pretty. You look just like her, Winniefredie!” Latecia said crawling over to Win, sitting between her and AJ. She held out the doll to show Win.
“That is very nice Latecia. You can read that?” Win asked surprised.
“Uh huh, Mister AJ taught me! He’s a good teacher!” Latecia replied.
“I was teaching her mother English and she just sort of picked it up. She’s amazing.” AJ said glowing. Win smiled. Latecia looked from AJ to Win and smiled.
“Are you boyfriend and girlfriend?” she asked with a grin.
“Yes Leti, we are,” AJ laughed.
“Why don’t you have a baby?” she asked. Win laughed.
“Because sweet heart, we’re not married.”
“Mommy’s not married, and she had me. She says you don’t have to be married to have babies.” Latecia said knowingly.
“My goodness you are smart for a little girl!” Win exclaimed.
“I am four and a half! Thank you! I am not a little girl!” Latecia said proudly.
“You have baby for Mister AJ, then he be happy all the time!” Latecia said and both AJ and Win burst out laughing.
When Win finally stopped laughing she asked,
“Now where did you hear that?”
“From Mister AJ! He said, he wants a little girl, just like me, so he has a reason to smile and be happy. Cause Mister AJ always sad when he comes home. I have to make him laugh, see?” She asked blowing out her cheeks, sticking out her tongue and crossing her eyes.
“Now isn’t that a face to love?” he asked pushing her cheeks in as Latecia made a popping noise.
“See, I have to make him smile. But you make him smile too!” Latecia said pointing at Win.
“Yes, she does. Why don’t you look in the bag again?” he said. They spent the rest of the morning watching Latecia play with her presents AJ had brought her. She was an adorable child and Win found out it was not unreasonable for AJ to be so fatherly to her, considering that Latecia’s real father was probably out of the picture.
“Did you get your postcards?” AJ asked.
“Yeah! All forty three of them!” Latecia said happily.
“Forty three? You must have sent them like every other day.” Win said surprised.
“I get them to show you!” Latecia said jumping up and off the bed, running as fast as she did before.
“That is so cute! You are so adorable, it’s like she’s your daughter!” Win said laughing.
“She’s too sweet, I love sending her postcards, she loves to collect them. She doesn’t get to travel, and she likes to get things from other places. That’s why she likes those Barbie dolls, the international ones, I started her collection of them. She’s never opened them. She has these shelves all the way around her room so she can see all of them.” AJ said with enthusiasm.
“You like this kid thing, don’t you?” Win asked.
“I guess so, I just like doing things for her. She appreciates it so much, and from what Edith tells me, her real father, one of her ex-boyfriends, hasn’t had anything to do with Latecia, he didn’t want her. Edith also appreciates me doing things for her. I mean all that kid has to do, is look at me with those big brown eyes, and I’m wrapped around her little finger.” AJ said dreamily.
“You want your own kids, don’t you?” Win asked.
“I’m going to be honest with you, yes, I want my own kids. But I don’t want you to think you have to have kids for me. I mean, we haven’t even talked about any of that yet. We don’t have to right now any way.” AJ said as Win kissed him on the cheek.
“Well we have to sit down and talk about it soon then. Cause I think I may want kids of my own too.” Win replied. AJ looked at her with wide eyes.
“You mean it?” he asked excited.
“Yes, but not right now. I want to finish the tour, go to school, and get settled. But we’ll talk about this later.” Win said as Latecia flew back into the room with her collection of postcards to show Win.