- Text Size +
Part II Chapter 51

A while later Edith returned to tell them that breakfast was ready and take Latecia so they could get dressed.
“Thank you Mister AJ!” Latecia called as she carried her new treasures out of the room.
“I’ll be right down sweetie, and you’re welcome!” AJ called as Edith shut the door of the bedroom.
“Uh, what a cute kid.” Win said smiling.
“Yeah, she tends to grow on you.” AJ replied getting up and going to the closet to get some clothes. Win got up as well and changed out of her bedclothes before she and AJ went downstairs to breakfast, meeting Denise in the hall.
“Now you carry her down those stairs AJ, don’t you dare let her walk.” Denise warned. AJ was already in the process of leaning down to pick her up when she said this.
“What do you think I’m doing, down here then? Some new exercise program?” he asked, as he picked Win up in his arms.
“That’s better.” Denise said with a laugh. AJ shook his head and carried Win down to the dining room. Edith had already set out the food and the dogs were fretting around the table, waiting for scraps.
Edith and Latecia came out and sat down to eat with everyone, Latecia taking a seat between Win and AJ. It was a lovely morning, everyone enjoying the other’s company.
“Would you two mind watching Leti today while Edith and I go shopping?” Denise asked.
“What? Oh, sure no problem, is that okay with you Win?” AJ asked.
“Yeah, that’d be great!” Win replied with a giant smile.
“YEAH! I get to spend the day with Mister AJ and Winniefredie!” Latecia bubbled. AJ laughed.
“Now that is enthusiasm.” Win said looking at Latecia.
“Seguro?” Edith asked AJ.
“Yes Edith.” AJ said rolling his eyes.

A little while later, after the breakfast dishes had been cleared, and Edith and Denise were ready to go out, Edith spoke to her daughter.
“You be good for mister AJ, don’t run away, you stay with him and his friend, okay? You listen to him, and be careful, no more running!” Edith warned.
“Yes mommy,” Latecia said after each warning. Edith gave her a kiss and they were gone.
“So what do you want to do today?” AJ asked Latecia.
“Swimming!” Latecia said excitedly.
“Okay, go get your swim suit!” AJ said. Latecia ran out to her house and AJ went upstairs to change into his swim trunks.
Win went out to the backyard to get Latecia when she was done changing and walk her over to the pool. AJ was downstairs again before Latecia was out of her house and he went inside to fetch her. He emerged carrying her on his shoulders, her legs flung over his neck and her hands wrapped around his head.
“You okay to walk?” he asked Win.
“Oh I’m fine, its just a little stiff is all, it doesn’t hurt anymore.” Win replied taking the towels from AJ. They walked through the garden to the pool area, AJ bouncing Latecia up and down once in a while to make her laugh.
Win spent the afternoon watching AJ and Latecia frolic around in the pool. AJ was so good with her. Win could just see him with his own kids, two or three maybe. Fooling around, laughing and joking with them. Holidays with the entire family. Christmases, Thanksgiving, parties, birthdays, nighttime feedings, holding a baby, singing to it, school plays, parent teacher meetings, baseball games, dance recitals, school graduations.
“Wohoo, Win, are you there?” AJ asked waving his hand in front of her face.
“Huh? Oh yeah.” She said shaking her head and waking up from her daydream.
“We’re gonna go get some ice cream for lunch.” AJ said sitting down in one of the lounge chairs and using the towel to dry Latecia off.
“Ice cream for lunch?” Win asked.
“Yeah, strawberry ice cream, shh, don’t tell mommy!” Latecia and AJ whispered at the same time putting a finger up to their lips. Win laughed heartily.
AJ and Latecia changed and loaded up into his car. Latecia’s favorite ice cream palor was not too far away, and it was quite evident as to why it was her favorite. It was a giant Victorian house that looked quite out of place among the rest of the restaurants and shops along the block. The sign out front read, “Mayen Poppers International Ice Cream Bazaar, Ice Cream Flavors From All Over The World!”
“They have ice cream from all over the world!” Latecia said pointing at the sign.
“Come on sweetie,” AJ said picking her up and holding her on his hip.
“Would you look at you, you’re a natural.” Win said patting his back.
“I like to think so.”
Win stood back and watched AJ and Latecia order their ice cream. He held her like she was his own child, and happily so as if he would want nothing more in the world.
“Lets see, a dish of peppermint, for Win and for the little liver here,” Latecia mimicked his words again and they said together, “Two dishes of Albuquerque Strawberry Lime.” This was so cute that even the cashier was laughing.
They sat down in the Australia room, decorated with Kangaroo chairs and fake eucalyptus trees. Win ate quietly just watching Latecia and AJ.
“You have ice cream on your mustache!” Latecia laughed.
“I do!” AJ said surprised. He made big to do, wiping it off making Latecia giggle.
“Now did I get it all?” he asked leaning down to her level.
“Nope, you have some there!” Latecia said pointing to a spot on his cheek that was clean.
“Uh oh, then you better get that one.” AJ said turning his face and tapping his cheek. Latecia stood up and held onto the sides of his head and gave him a loud sloppy kiss on his cheek.
“Ew, that was a wet kiss!” AJ said laughing and wiping off his cheek. Win was laughing too.
“You missed a spot,” Win said.
“Oh, so you want in on this too. Where did I miss a spot?” he said raising an eyebrow.
“Right there!” Latecia said pointing to his lips.
“Well Win better take care of that then, shouldn’t she?” AJ asked Latecia. She folded her hands behind her back and nodded her head smiling. Win leaned forward and kissed his lips lightly.
“Did I get it all?” she asked.
“No, I think you missed some of it.” AJ replied giving her a little deeper kiss.
“Ewww! That’s a wet kiss!” Latecia squealed. The other people in the room were all watching them curiously with smiles on their faces.
“No this is a wet kiss!” AJ said picking up Latecia in his lap and blowing a raspberry on her cheek. She giggled and tried to get away.
“Nope, I want one more kiss.” He said. She gave him another kiss.
“You have a scratchy face Mister AJ!” Latecia said rubbing his whiskers.
“Yeah, I know. But Winniefredie doesn’t mind, do you?” AJ asked patting Latecia on the head.
“No, I kind of like it.” Win said touching his face.
“Come on little liver, eat up, so we can get home before your mommy does. We can make her dinner.” AJ said putting Latecia back on her chair.
“Little liver?” Win asked.
“It means heart. In Spanish the seat of love is the liver. Her mother taught me that.” AJ replied.
“Wow. That’s really interesting.” Win asked.
“Yeah, I taught her English, she taught me Spanish. Latecia, has been my little liver, ever since she was four and half months old, isn’t that right baby?” AJ asked Latecia who was finished with her ice cream.
“Yup, and he’s my big liver!” Latecia said smiling. AJ laughed.
“Now that just sounds weird.” He said.
“Come on, let’s go make some dinner.”