- Text Size +
Part I Chapter 6

They marched down to the party with small polite small talk, but when they entered the party, held in the largest ball room she had ever seen, Win became nervous.
“Now AJ, I don’t remember telling you could have your date and mine,” a tall man said approaching AJ. Win recognized him at once, he was one of the security guards, Taylor.
“Well, I did have my sights set on this one, so you can have the other,” AJ said as Jen let go of his arm.
“Hey baby,” Jen said standing on tiptoe to kiss Taylor on the cheek.
“Now wait a minute, who is this young lady,” Taylor asked.
“This is Winifred Caldon, she’s Red’s assistant. Win this is Taylor Bloder, one of the security guards, he and Jen are getting married, what, this fall?” AJ asked.
“November eighteenth, not soon enough,” Taylor replied.
“That’s wonderful, congratulations.” Win said.
“Yeah, we met on the last tour,” Jen giggled showing Win a giant diamond ring.
“That’s nice, but how come you don’t share a room?” Win asked.
“Die hard Christians, the both of them,” AJ replied.
“Yes, we’re saving our selves for the honeymoon.” Jen said putting her hand on Taylor’s chest.
“Well, at least she is,” Jen smacked him lightly on the chest.
“Hey AJ, from what I remember you are Christian as well.” Jen said with a devilish stare.
“Yes, but I’m not die hard fan, I like some of the fun things in life,” he replied with a smile. Jen and Taylor laughed.
“Come on Win, I’ll introduce you to the rest of the tour,” AJ said pulling Win along with him.
Win could not have asked for a more perfect evening. She spent the night meeting everyone on the tour. From stage crew assistants, to managers, dancers, caterers, bus drivers, the band and the technology crew. AJ always introduced her as Winifred Caldon, keeping his hand on the small of her back, keeping her close to him while they talked to people.
At nine o’clock they sat down to dinner at the middle of the room length of the table. Around them sat Nick and Howie, Taylor and Jen, several of the dancers and the man in charge of the entire tour Daemon Loyd.
AJ continued to lavish all his attention on her, but he was also very generous in that he did not monopolize her time. He always leaned in when he wanted to say something to her, he even had his leg pressed up against hers under the table. She never had someone pay that much attention to her.
But there was something still bothering her. AJ left his hat and glasses on all the time, how was she ever going to look him in the eye, see his intent upon her? About half way through the meal she turned to him and said,
“AJ, why don’t we try something.”
“What’s that?” he asked turning and leaning closer to her.
“This,” she said pulling off his hat and setting it on the table, “here, let me fix this,” she said running her fingers through his hair to smooth the few pieces that had stuck up from the hat.
“And these,” she gently linked her fingers around the sunglasses and lifted them off his face and folded them before placing them on the table beside the hat.
“Now, that’s better. I can get a clear look at the man who has been flirting with me the whole evening.” She said smiling.
“Wow, she must be special if AJ let her take her take off his hat and glasses,” Nick whispered to Howie.
“Yeah, I’m surprised he hasn’t knocked her down already.” Howie and Nick both laughed.
“Now that is a handsome man,” Jen said from across the table. Win was still looking at him and saw him look away, a slight tinge of pink to his face.
“I must agree,” Win replied turning back to her food.
“Yeah man, you oughta leave off the glasses for a while, you might get some color,” Taylor said seriously. Win noticed AJ had become quiet, he was very self conscious and less confidant than he usually was. On the pretense of putting her napkin in her lap she reached under the table and took his hand and squeezed it as if to say, “It is okay.”
He relaxed slightly after that leaning back in his chair and talking again.
Once dinner was cleared away and the tables removed, a DJ set up and blasted music.
“Come on Win, let’s see what you can do on the dance floor.” AJ said standing up and taking her hand.
“AJ, I can’t dance!” she said shaking her head as he pulled her out of the chair.
“Every girl says that,” he replied pulling her towards the dance floor.
“No AJ, I really mean that, I don’t know how to dance!” she said panicking.
“Well, I’m a good teacher, so come here and I’ll teach you.”
“AJ, come on,” she said trying to pull him back to the table.
“You took my hat and glasses, I’m taking you to dance,” he said taking her other hand and pulling her behind him. The music was so loud that she couldn’t hear him now. He leaned into her ear after turning around to face her and said,
“Now just follow my lead,” he took her hands and placed them on the back of his neck and his on her hips. She looked into his eyes and felt her body compelled to move. At first her moves were square and jerky, but AJ’s hands smoothed out the awkwardness and soon she was dancing in sync with his movements. Her actions felt more natural now, as if she had been doing this her entire life, instead of this being her first time ever dancing.
After a few fast songs the music slowed down and AJ moved himself closer to Win. Their bodies were pressed against one another and after while, Win put her head on his chest and drew her arms around his neck. She felt his warmth, his breath on her neck, the tickle of his goatee whiskers on her shoulder. She felt in safe hands with him, and she felt as if she knew something about him.
A few hours later AJ and Win were the only people left on the floor. Most people had left and gone back to their rooms. Kevin and Howie had turned in and Brian was on the phone with his wife. Jen and Taylor were playing kissy face at the table, watching AJ and Win slowly dancing almost a tango like dance across the floor. Nick went off to the pool for a late night swim with some of the stage crew.
“Why don’t we go for a walk?” AJ asked as the music slowly died away.
“Sure,” Win said following AJ over to the table where Jen and Taylor were still sitting and flirting.
“If you two were any cuter I’d swear I’d have to barf,” Win said laughing as they approached the table.
“Well what about you two, I don’t think an air molecule could have fit between the two of you,” Jen replied as Taylor pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head.
“Why don’t we go for that walk now, Taylor, good night, Jen,” AJ said with a tone in his voice. He took Win’s hand and they walked out away from the table. Win looked back at Jen and waved, Jen winked and put up the “OK” sign with her hand.