- Text Size +
Part III Chapter 61

“First and foremost. You two are married, so you know better. And Brianna and Tessa do not think for one second, that I wanted to do this with them. To me, a married man is attractive as a slug, no offense guys.” Win said laughing.
“None taken, you withered up old hag you.” Kevin replied coolly, his arm around Tessa.
“Good, keep that in mind.” Win said laughing along with Brianna and Tessa.
“Next, to all of you guys, keep your eyes on my face, and your hands off the merchandise. Hands are regulated to the back, shoulders and arms. I feel any grabby hands, it’ll be a good whack in the sunshine pack, if you catch my drift.” Win said.
“Read you loud and clear Win!” Howie said raising a hand.
“Next, keep your tongue to yourself, it is supposed to look like a makeout session, not be one.” She said allowing this last rule sink in.
“All right, now that we got all the ground rules, lets do this video!” Win said and a cheer went up from all the guys.
The video went perfectly. Win kept everyone in stitches the entire time and although there were many awkward moments, Win just used it to keep everyone laughing.
Things between Win and AJ were now fine. The day after they were back on the tour, AJ sought out to Nick and apologized to him. He gave Win and Nick his blessing to have a long and happy relationship.
When Denise arrived with Latecia AJ was overjoyed to see her. He spent the next ten days with Latecia by his side, every minute of the day, he had her near him. When he absolutely could not be with her, Win agreed to watch her, which was not for long because AJ always rushed back to her.
Denise stuck around for a few days, visiting with AJ and her newfound granddaughter. During her three-day visit she spoke to Win about what happened.
“I’m so sorry that all this happened Winifred.” She said with sad eyes.
“It’s not your fault. Denise, we just were not meant to be together.” Win replied
“I just wish, you could have been a part of our family.” She replied frowning.
“Who says I’m not already a part of your family? Just because I’m not dating AJ anymore, doesn’t mean I’m going to stop visiting you. Denise, I love you like you are my own mother, you are part of my family now.” Denise smiled and cried at the same time.
“And you are the daughter I never had. I love you too Winifred.”

While they were in Pennsylvania, Win visited some of her friends. She also decided to go back to her church and see some of her friends there. The Saturday before they were to leave, Win announced to the entire crew,
“Tomorrow I am going back to the church I sang in while I lived here. Everyone here is invited to attend, no matter if you are Christian, or Jewish, or Catholic or whatever, I invite all of you to come listen to my choir sing.”
On that Sunday, a greater part of the crew showed up at the church. The guys had gathered in a pew up front with Win and spent the morning listening to a lively sermon.
“And now, I would like to invite our house choir, to come up here and perform.” The minister said after he finished his sermon. After the large group of people assembled he spoke again.
“And now, I’d like to invite, a long time friend of ours, who has sang with us, since she was fourteen. The one and only, Miss Winifred.” Win looked around surprised but Howie and Kevin pushed her up from the pew as the parishioners burst into applause and shouting.
“This girl right here ladies and gentlemen, has the voice of an angel,” there was a chorus of “Amen” ringing across the church, “She takes the word of God and makes it into the soul of God!” Another chorus of “Amen” rose from the crowd with enthusiasm. The minister threw his arm around her and said,
“Ladies and gentlemen, it is now time to get to my favorite part of praising the lord, through song. Let’s show this young lady here some love! So that she will help us raise up his name!” Win blushed and nodded.
“Please tell us what song you would like to sing.” The minister asked.
“Um, Worthy to be Praised.” Win replied awkwardly.
“Worthy to be Praised, and yes indeed, he is worthy to be praised. Miss Winifred, if you would kindly ascend to the choir.” Win climbed up the few steps to stand among her old friends, clad in Scarlet choir robes. They all patted her on the shoulder and sent their greetings.
“Ladies and gentlemen, let us begin!” the minister roared and Win began singing.
She finished to a tumultuous applause. Before the minister could speak again he handed her the microphone.
“To everyone here, my old friends, of the Belltown Baptist Church, my new friends and family from the Backstreet tour, thank you so much for being here. You all have been such influences in my life, that I don’t want you to walk away without knowing it. I wanted to be back here today, because today, is an especially important day for me. Today marks four years from the last time I ever used drugs. On this day four years ago, a good friend of mine from this choir standing behind me, a one Miss Rina Coster, found me shooting up with heroin in the bathroom of this church before I came to practice. And instead of accusing me, she offered me help, and so did the entire choir. I spent five days in the basement of this church, waiting for the drugs to leave my system. And to these people here, and everyone here in this church, I am standing before you, a changed woman. I do not miscount my blessings, I have been so lucky and just so incredibly blessed with my friends, and my friends who I now count as my family. So in honor of this day, I’d like to sing one of my favorite songs, Sing my Song by Christina Aguilera, and you may laugh, but I don’t think that I could express myself better than this song does, so to everyone, this is my way of saying thank you.” The music started and Win began singing. She looked around at everyone in the audience. And as she sang she walked down the steps and around the room, shaking hands with people. When she got to her long note, she held it out so long that the audience was standing and applauding as she finished the song.
She stood in front of the choir and bowed, saying simply, “Thank you.”

Before they knew it, the tour was over and they were on their separate ways for the Thanksgiving Break. In the airport, everyone waited around for their planes to take off. Howie was on his way to Reno to pick up his girlfriend and then go to Spain, where his entire family was congregating to spend the holidays. Kevin and Tessa were going home to Kentucky, just as Brian would be once he picked up Brianna and baby Winifred. AJ was spending Thanksgiving with Latecia and his family in Maryland. Nick was going to his parents in California, and Win was going with him.
Howie was the first to leave, and then Brian, and Kevin and Tessa. Finally only Win, AJ and Nick were left waiting for their planes.
“So this is it, till next month.” AJ said looking at them.
“Yeah, I can’t believe it’s over already, it seems like it started just last week.” Win replied.
“It sure has been a ride.” Nick said with a laugh.
“I know. But it’s great to be doing it again. I forgot that it was fun, most of the time,”
AJ said rubbing the back of his neck.
“Yeah, it has been good.” Nick replied.
“You kiss this girl yet?” AJ asked. Nick opened his eyes wide in surprise.
“Nope, he’s too shy.” Win replied giving him the eye. Nick turned pink.
“Flight 117 to Miami leaving at gate forty five and Flight 68 to Los Angeles at gate 47 are now boarding.”
“Well, that’s us. Guess it’s time to say goodbye.” Win said looking up at the announcement.
“Yeah, but we’ll be back soon enough.” AJ said with a smile.
“Oh, I am gonna miss you though!” Win said throwing her arms around him.
“Me too. I love you so much!” AJ said squeezing her tight.
“You take care of that little girl of yours now, and you tell Denise, and the rest of your family I love them okay?” Win asked as they parted.
“I will.” AJ replied.
“Hey, slugger, I’ll see you in a month.” Nick said grabbing AJ’s hand and doing their handshake. AJ pulled him in for a hug, “Aw, what the hell.”
“I’m gonna miss you too man,” AJ said as they let go, but he held onto Nick’s arm and pulled him close to whisper in his ear.
“You hurt her and I’ll kill you, understood?”
“You got it man.” Nick said smiling, patting AJ on the chest.
“Good,” AJ replied smiling.
“Oh hang on!” Win said fumbling with her bag for a camera.
“Here, could you take our picture!” Win said to a lady passing by. She agreed and they squished together.
“On to Europe!” They shouted and before the picture clicked, AJ and Nick both leaned in, threw their arms around Win and kissed her, one on each cheek. They parted, waving until they could no longer see each other, waiting for their next adventure together.