- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the wait guys...here's the next chapter! I hope you enjoy it! And if you think that things are kind of boring just hold on...cause there is some major drama coming up shortly!
At five minutes to one Nick and Roslyn stepped onto the patio at The Ivy and took their seats at the table reserved for them in the outdoor dining room. Roslyn nervously sipped the water that a waitress had placed in front of her while Nick eyed every woman that walked in the direction of the table, wondering if she was the woman they were going to be meeting.

Right on the dot of one o’clock a familiar face appeared in the doorway and made her way to the table, followed closely by a pretty woman in her late 20’s.

“Nick, Roslyn, so good to see you again,” the woman said with a smile as she air kissed them on the cheek on at a time.

“Gladys, thank you for getting back to us so quickly,” Roslyn responded, turning her attention from Gladys Lei, the director of the Surrogacy Center, to the woman standing behind her. She smiled warmly at the woman, waiting impatiently for Ms. Lei to introduce them.

“This is Rebecca Jordan,” Gladys announced, motioning towards the woman. “Rebecca, this is Nick and Roslyn Carter.” Rebecca shook hands with the hopeful couple and then the foursome took their seats around the table. After they ordered, Gladys continued with the introductions, filling Nick and Roslyn in on Rebecca and her history.

“I was born through a surrogate pregnancy, so believe me when I tell you how much I understand the importance of this to you both,” Rebecca added as the waiter set the plates of food down in front of them. Roslyn and Nick nodded their heads appreciatively at her statement, growing fonder and fonder of the young woman with each passing minute. They were starting to trust to her, starting to feel a bond with her; they liked her very much and had a good feeling about her being the woman to bring their child into the world.

As they enjoyed their lunches, Ms. Lei continued answering their questions and explaining anything they weren’t sure of or didn’t understand.

“So does she live with us then or how does that work?” Roslyn inquired, taking a bite of her salad.

“It’s entirely up to the three of you to decide what arrangement is going to work the best. Some couples prefer to have the surrogate living with them so they can monitor what she eats, how much sleep she gets, things like that, but in most cases, and when you have an experienced surrogate like Rebecca, the want to keep an eye on her 24-7 is not needed.”

As if Rebecca read Nick and Roslyn’s minds she jumped in to answer the question they were going to ask before they could ask it. “I’ve been a surrogate for six couples.”

“You’ve had six babies?” Nick asked his mouth dropping as he said it.

“Actually, I’ve given birth to thirteen babies,” she responded with a chuckle. It always shocked people when she told them; she had a very toned, lean body that showed now evidence of being pregnant that many times, and although she was 29 years old, she looked younger than her age and that seemed to shock people even more. “Four of the pregnancies were multiples. Two were twins, one was triplets and the other was quadruplets.”

Nick and Roslyn sat silently, staring at the woman in front of them with disbelief. If she delivered thirteen babies successfully and none of the couples had any problems with her, then they figured she was the right person to deliver their baby.

By the time they had finished eating, they knew everything there was to know about surrogate pregnancy. There were no unanswered questions and no doubts in their minds. Rebecca had informed them that her body would be ready for the invetrofertilization in two weeks and after a quick phone call to Dr. Navarro’s office to confirm he would be able to do the procedure at that time the plan was set.

After agreeing to another meeting before the procedure on the 8the and then bidding Rebecca and Ms. Lei farewell, Nick and Roslyn drove home, excited to share the news with their friends and family. As they turned the corner towards their house, however, Nick’s phone rang. Glancing at the caller ID he saw it was AJ and answered the phone immediately, feeling the urge to tell someone right away that they were going to have a baby filling his mind.

“Hey man, guess what?” Nick shouted into the phone without so much as a “hello” first.

“Nick, you and Roslyn have to get over here right away; something’s happened,” AJ spat into the phone before Nick could continue.

“What? What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

“Just get here as fast as you can!” With that, AJ ended the call and Nick was panicked.

“We have to get over to AJ’s, he said something’s wrong,” Nick told Roslyn as he turned the steering wheel sharply to make a U-turn. Ten minutes later the car squealed to a stop in AJ and Kaci’s driveway and Nick and Roslyn flew out of the car and ran up the walkway, bursting into the house like an explosion.

“AJ? Kaci? Where are you?” Nick called out as they walked through the foyer and into the living room.

“Surprise!”

Nick and Roslyn jumped as they walked into the living room and found their friends and family waiting there.

“What’s going on? You said it was an emergency!” Nick questioned as he looked around the room.

“No, I said something’s happened, I never said there was an emergency,” AJ responded, cracking a sideways smile at his flustered friend’s expression. “We knew it would be the only way we could get you over here so fast!”

“Welcome to your surprise wedding reception,” Kaci announced as she walked towards Roslyn and hugged her. “We wanted to do something special for you guys since we weren’t at the wedding.”

“How long have you been planning this?” Roslyn questioned, giving her cousin a sly look.

“Since the day after you got back. All of us wanted to be there and we weren’t so now we are celebrating!” Roslyn and Nick looked at each other and started laughing, shrugging their shoulders and giving in to the festivities. They were very happy that their family and friends went through all of this to give them a reception and they were not going to let it go to waste.

“Maybe it’s better this way,” Roslyn whispered into Nick’s ear. “I think we should wait to say anything about having a baby until Rebecca is actually pregnant. It’s going to be hard enough to explain to everyone anyway and I would rather just wait, is that okay with you?”

“Yeah, it’s okay,” he whispered back, giving her a quick peck on the cheek. “Let’s just celebrate us tonight okay?” Roslyn nodded her head, fully willing to bask in the glory of her and Nick and the happiness they have together…..because happiness won’t last forever.