- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm on a roll! Hope you like it!
We all bundled up, especially Josh, I didn't want him sick. I mean, I didn't want Jamie or Michael sick, either, but it was especially important for Josh not to get sick.
"Remember, Josh, you're supposed to not get very close to crowds and to breathe lots of fresh air. And don't forget to take drinks often."
Josh rolled his eyes. "Dad, I know!"
"Yeah, just making sure. Have your water bottle?"
"Right here." Josh held up a red water bottle full of water.
"Okay, then we're all set." I said as I zipped Michael's coat. "Let's go!"
I grabbed Jamie's and Mike's hands and grabbed the keys. I, myself was awaiting the park eagerly, though for different reasons. I was hoping to meet Sophia and her little baby Julia there. The last time we had talked had been so soothing and unforced that it would have been nice to repeat it.
I was in luck, Sophia, Julia and of course their golden retriever were there, peacefully sitting on a bench.
"Nick!" Sophia stood up with a smile and pulled me close into a hug, which surprised me.
"Hi, Sophia. These are Jamie and Mike, and that's Josh. Jamie, Mike, Josh, this is Sophia and that's Julia."
"Mama was called Julia, was she, Daddy?" Mike asked.
"Yes, that was her name. Now go play!"
Agreeably, the swings were unoccupied. In fact, the park was mostly empty. So Jamie and Mike started swinging and laughing loudly as Josh pushed them and told them funny jokes and stories.
"Josh is the one who's got leukemia, isn't he?" Sophia softly asked, as if she wasn't sure whether to ask.
"Yes."
"He doesn't really look that bad."
I took a look at him, and was surprised to realize that he didn't. A green knit cap covered most of his hair, except for the blond tips, his big blue eyes were contagious with laughter, he had miraculously gained a couple of pounds during this month, and most of his bruises had faded. Actually, he looked cute. Anyone who hadn't known about his disease would have thought that he was a really thin, handsome boy. For he was. It was hard not to think of him as "Joshua Carter, boy who has leukemia" as opposed to simply "Joshua Carter".
"No, he doesn't." I agreed. "It's hard not to think of it all the time."
"You seem to handle it pretty well, though."
"Well, I'm a pretty good actor to say the truth. It really bothers me and overwhelms me to think of all this, and to think that Joshua can handle it... as a father it's hard, but for him it's got to be harder. There's so many things he can't do anymore, either the blood counts of white blood cells are too low, or he's got to go to a doctor visit, or he's just too tired or weak to do something."
Sophia nodded sympathetically.
"I've got a very hard time dealing with all these emotions. I've got a tendency to look at everything on the bad side, and that's not good. There's so many bad things to the cancer, but also it has its good side. I'm pleased at how it's helping Josh mature- too fast, but he's becoming so much more thoughtful and thankful for his life. He's learning to be optimistic, something I still have to learn, myself."
"Sounds like a very nice guy, Nick. You do, too."
"Thanks, Sophia. I'm very proud of the guy I've raised. If one of my children can deal with it, it's Josh. But it's still hard." I confided.
"I bet it is."