- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The beginning of this chapter starts out with a flashback. Just so you don't get confused.
"Baby?"

Nick heard the sound of his girlfriend's voice and turned around from his stance on the rail of the balcony. "Yeah?"

"You ok? You've been out here a while." Lori said as she approached him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I've just been thinking." he said smiling at her.

"About what?" she asked, as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Just stuff." he said as he led them over to the swing. They sat down, and he pulled her closer to him.

Lori pulled her legs up on the swing, and curled into Nick. They sat there in the silence and watched the sunset over the ocean.

After a few more moments of silence, she finally broke it. "Do you ever wonder where our relationship is going to go from here?"

Nick winced at the question. That was one of the things that he had been thinking about. He loved her, he knew he did. He loved her with everything that he had and then some, but he just wasnt sure about anything anymore. He wasn't sure he was ready to give up his freedom. He knew she was beginning to get antsy, what normal girl wouldn't after more than four years together?Their relationship had more than passed the last step. It was just waiting there patiently for him to buy a ring, get down on bended knee, and pop the question. They were at that point now, and had been for a while, he just couldnt bring himself to make the move. But to keep peace between him and Lori, he knew he had to answer.

"Sure I do."

"Where do you see it going?"

He felt extremely guilty. She had been dropping so many hints over the last couple of months, and he had picked up on every single one. He just never acted on them.

Breathing in he answered the only answer he could, "Anywhere we want it too."

Before she had the chance to reply he stood up, and pulled her up with him. "Dance with me."

"What?"

"Dance with me." he said as he pulled her closer, and placed his right arm at the small of her back. He felt her begin to relax against him. His left hand was embraced with hers, and he held them too his chest as they danced. No music, just the sound of the waves rushing up onto the shore. He wanted nothing more than to give her what he knew she wanted, but he also knew he wasnt ready for the commitment yet.



After the little confrontation that AJ had with Nick, they easily moved into an easier topic for conversation. But they eventually found their way back to where they were before.

"I was stupid, huh?"

"Where did this come from?"

"I dont know I was just sitting here thinking about me and Lor. All this time I was blaming her, and I was the one that pushed her away."

AJ sat the magazine down on the coffee table, and faced him once again. This time it was more friendly than the last.

"Yeah, you were. No offense."

"None taken." Nick said as he leaned his head back against the back of the couch. "The last five years, I've been looking for something. Then I realize that I already had it, but let it go."

"We all make mistakes, man."

"Yeah, well I think this one I cant fix."

"All mistakes are able to be fixed."

"You think I stand a chance?" Nick asked as he turned his head toward AJ.

AJ looked at him, "You guys have way to much history, for either of you to just leave things the way they are."

Nick smiled as he thought about the history that AJ was talking about. They had been best friends since he had moved from New York to Florida. She knew everything about him, and vice versa. He wished they could back to at least a friendship, but to much had happened. Too much had been left unsaid. There had been so many times he wanted to pick up the phone and call her. Everytime he was in New York, he had got half way around her block then turned back. Once he even got as far as the elevators to her apartment, but decided she probably had no desire to see him anyway. Besides, what would he have said anyway? Hell, he didnt have the slightest clue, and she could walk through that door any minute now.

"I know."

"If you know then do something about it."

"Easier said then done."

AJ figured there was nothing more that he could say. Like Erin, he wanted them back together too. He also knew that pushing them toward each other, wouldnt help matters at all. He couldnt make Nick see the oppurtunity that he had lying in front of him. He had the whole week to make things right, AJ's only wish was that he seized it for all that it was worth.

After a few more moments of silence, Nick decided it was time for him to go.

"Well, I'm gonna get out of here. I'll see you tonight. Is there anything that I need to bring?"

AJ thought for a moment, "No, nothing that I can think of. If I think of something I'll call you."

Nick pulled him into a hug. "Thanks man. I'll see you tonight."

"Alright. Bye." AJ said as he walked with Nick to the door. He watched Nick get into his car, and drive away. He shook his head, as he walked back into his house, and shut the door behind him. He hoped tonight went ok, for everyone's sake.


About an hour after Nick left AJ's the girl's finally made their return home. AJ helped them carry their stuff in and went to make preparations for the party. Around five the guests of honor were the first to arrive.

Lori answered the door knowing who would be on the other side, and she couldnt hold back the smile that was creeping up on her face.

"You're here!" Leighanne squealed, as she waddled as fast as she could the few steps that were between her and Lori. Lori welcomed the hug with open arms.

"Look at you! Are you ready for that thing to come out?"

Leighanne pulled away from her, and looked at her. "Yes, more than you know."

"Look who followed the trail of crumbs back home." Brian said as he embraced Lori in a hug. "It's been too long girl."

"Yes it has." Lori smiled.She realized Baylee was standing next to him, and bent down to his level.

"Hi Baylee." she said as she pulled him into a hug. "I havent seen you in so long. You've gotten so big."

Baylee shook his head, and smiled at Lori.

"I six." he said holding up his hands showing how old he was.

"Wow. You're a big boy arent you?"

She smiled and laughed when she saw him smile and shake his head full of curls. The last time she seen Baylee was when Brian and Leighanne had stopped by to visit when they were doing to Today Show for Never Gone in New York City. She was surprised he remembered her.

"Well, let's go inside." Lori said as she helped Leighanne through the door. She led her through the living room, and to the recliner.

"Is this ok?"

"Prefect. Thank you. So, sit in here with me. Tell me how you've been." Leighanne said as she admired Lori's new hair. She smiled and pointed at it. "I love it. When did the new look happen?"

"About 4 months ago. I needed a change."

"It's a nice one."

"Thank you."

As Lori and Leighanne caught up with each other, more people started to arrive. They had the occasional intteruption with people wishing Leighanne the best, and saying hello to Lori. For some, it was the first time in six years. To them all it didnt seem that long ago when she left, since she fell back into place so easily. It was like she never left. The more time started to pass, the more nervous she got. Kevin came, then Howie, and everyone knew who was left to arrive. She tried to keep her attention on Leighanne and their conversation the best she could, but all she could think about was how the hell she was going to get through this without making herself sick. Then, as her stomach lept into her throat, the door opened.

"It's about time." she heard one of the guys call from the kitchen.

She instictively turned her head toward the door, and saw him closing the door behind him. He looked the same. His hair was a little longer, but other than that...he was still the same beautiful man she fell in love with.

"Shut up! I'm here right on time thank you very much. It's 5:30." she heard Nick call back. Nick walked into the living room where Lori and Leighanne were sitting.

"What the hell do I do. Do I say something, or should I wait for him? Damn it Lori. Just chill." she told herself, while pushing some hair behind her ears nervously.

"Look at you." Nick said as he bent down to give her a hug.

"How're you feeling?" he asked as he kissed her on the cheek. He momentarily looked over where Lori was, to acknowledge that he knew she was there.

"I'm feeling good. A little anxious, but good none the less. Ready to bring this one into the world." she said smiling as she rubbed her stomach.

"Well, we're ready for her to arrive too." he said as he bent down and placed a kiss on her stomach.

Nick stood back up and placed his hands in his back pocket. This was too damn awkward. Always, coming in on the right time, Brian walked into the room. The three let out a sigh of relief that they didnt know they were holding.

"Hey buddy. How've you been?" Brian asked coming in for a hug.

"Pretty good. Just chillin." Nick said as he embraced his friend.

Leighanne looked over to Lori with a smile. She knew how awkward this must be for her, hell it was awkward for her and she wasn't even part of their relationship.

"I love you." she mouthed to Lori.

"Love you too." Lori mouthed back.

"Brian, honey?"

Brian looked down at his wife, and batted his eyes, "Yes snookums?"

Leighanne rolled her eyes with an annoyed look on her face, "Will you help me to the bathroom?"

"It would be my pleasure."

Both Nick and Lori, watched Brian and Leighanne until they were out of sight.

"How've you been?" Lori immediately pulled her head up from where it was placed on her palm. She hoped she didnt look as surprised as she was.

"Good actually. How about you?" she said as she cleared her throat.

He smiled to himself when he heard her clear her throat. She always did that when she was nervous. Well, at least he knew they were in the same boat.

"Pretty good. Just enjoying life." he said smiling at her.

She smiled back, but her eyes found their way back to the floor. It wasnt as bad as she thought it would be. It was actually kind of nice.

When they fell back into the awkward silence, Lori decided she had to leave. She had to get out the room, the silence was like a thick, thick, fog. The more you breathed, the more it felt like you were suffocating.

"I'm going to go see if AJ and Erin need my help in the kitchen. We all know how he is with a grill, I might need to releave him of his job before he ruins it all." She said as she stood up. She was almost into the hallway to go to the kitchen when she was stopped.

"Lori wait." Nick said as he grabbed her elbow, and turned her around to face him. "Um, I know things are really awkward right now between us."

Lori smiled, "Yeah. Very."

"I just wanted you to know, that I'm willing to try to maybe establish something this weekend, if you are?"

"Establish, what?"

"A friendship, I dont know something. Something that's a little better than the way things are right now. I mean, what happened just a few minutes ago, that's not us."

Lori shifted her eyes, "No, it's not. I'd like that a lot." she said smiling.

"Good. I'm glad."

She smiled up at him, "Well before we fall back into this silence thing. I'm gonna head in there." she said as she motioned toward the kitchen with her thumb.

"Alright." he said smiling, as he put his hands in his pockets, and turned to go back into the living room.