- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just to let you guys know, I'm going to try to have this story done before I leave to go back to Oklahoma where I live. My computer there does not work, so if I dont get it done, and there is no updates for a while, that's the reason. As soon as I get around a computer that runs correctly, and has internet access you can expect an update. Anyway...ON WITH THE STORY!
At 2:00 that morning Lori crept her way into the house. Trying hard not to wake up AJ and Erin, she silently made her way up the stairs, when the lights from the kitchen suddenly flicked on. Lori stopped on the Fifth step, and turned around. She smiled and shook her head when she saw Erin standing there in her pajamas holding up two half pints of Ben and Jerry's.

"I thought you would be in bed already." Lori said as she walked back down.

"Uh, hello? I told you I wanted details, and if it meant I had to stay up all night, I was going to do it." she said as she handed Lori her ice cream and a spoon.

"You're crazy." Lori said as she shook her head.

"You did it for me, remember?"

Lori laughed as the memory of Erin's first date with AJ came back to her. "Yeah, except this wasnt a date."

"Same thing." Erin said as she took a bite of her ice cream. "Let's take this up to your room. These stools are very uncomfortable."

Erin and Lori made their way up to Lori's room, and Erin waited paitently on her bed while she changed into her pajamas.

"So everything went ok, huh?" Erin asked. She could no longer contain herself, she had to know.

"You just can't wait can you?"Lori asked as she opened the bathroom door so she could see Erin. She grabbed a washrag, and began to wash her face.

"No, I can't."

"Yes. Everything went fine. It was just coffee, like you suspected." She said as she applied some cream to her face.

Erin could since a but coming up. "But?"

"We went to the beach."

"So, it's the beach. Woo hoo. What's so amazing about that?"

"If you would shut up, and let me finish."

"Ok, sorry."

Lori grabbed her toothbrush and applied her toothpaste, "Forgiven." she said as she stuck the tooth brush into her mouth.

"We win du da besh, and we dalked." Lori said as she brushed. Before she continued, she spit. "Let me finish here, and I'll continue."

"That would be nice." Erin said sarcastically.

A couple minutes later, Lori was cleaning her mess, and made her way to the bed beside Erin.

"Soo?"

"Oh! Well, we talked about everything. He apologized, I cried, and we decided to start over."

Erin got an excited look in her eyes, "You made up, made up?"

"No, no, not like that. We're going to be friends again. It's too soon for that." Lori said as she grabbed her ice cream and opened it for the first time.

Erin rolled her eyes. Were her and AJ the only one's that saw that Nick and Lori were meant to be? Apparently so.

"He told me about things that happened while I was gone, including the bad. We even talked about us, and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be." She said taking her third bite.

"Did he tell you that he came to New York, like ten times after you left?"

Lori paused with the spoon in her mouth, and slowly shook her head.

"Yeah, he did. Each time he got further, and further but he always turned around."

"What?"

"Yeah."

"Why the hell didnt you tell me?"

"What would it have done? Would it have made you go after him, too? It definetly wasnt going to make things any easier. You're just as stubborn as he is." Erin said as she took another bite. "Besides, it wasnt my place to tell you."

"It would have made things easier." Lori said as she shoved her spoon into the ice cream.

Erin looked over at her. Did she forget the times that she called her crying at night? "How?" she asked.

"I would have known that he didnt just forget about us, that he didn't just forget about me."

"Lori, he couldnt have forgot you if he tried. It wouldnt have made things easier because you would just go back into depressed mode. Knowing that he was there, and that he knew exactly where you were, and didnt come see you."

Lori kept quiet not wanting to admit that Erin might be right.

"You got like that when the boys were in town for recording, TV stuff, and concerts. Leighanne told me about when she and Brian went to see you."

Lori closed her eyes remembering that. She had known about them being in town for days, and the ache of not being able to see her friends was really taking its toll. She was going through the motions in her mind; should she go see them or should she not. She made herself sick, and didnt go to work. Then Leighanne and Brian showed up and it was just like they knew that she needed them. They stayed with her for the few days they were in town, and she got better. She was always on edge when she got home from work, or when she opened the door when someone knocked, that she would see Nick standing on the other end. She was always rolling it over in her mind, if she was ready to see him again.

"Yeah, that was bad." Lori said in a low tone.

"It was, and it wasnt the first time that had happened. You literally made yourself sick over the guy, and I wasnt about to fuel the fire. No, it wouldn't have helped any." Erin said as she placed her hand over Lori's. "It's ok, though. You had reason. He broke your heart bad. You felt like your friends had been taking away from you, but all the while we were here. All of us decided not to take sides, and that we'd be here for the both of you if you needed us. Whether you're with Nick or not, you'll always be part of this family. You will always have us. All of us."

Lori smiled, and pulled Erin into a hug. When they pulled away, Lori looked over at her. "He wants to go out tomorrow."

Erin smiled, "So, go. You'll have fun. What does he have in mind?"

"He wants me to go out with him and Aaron on the boat." Erin could see that something was holding her back.

"What's the matter?"

"I'll be alone with him on a boat, in the middle of the ocean."

Erin laughed, "Aaron will be there."

"That boat is big, I'm sure Aaron won't be around all the time."

"So?"

"So?"

"Yeah, what's so wrong with that?"

"I dont think I'm ready for that. If I know me, I won't be able to NOT give in." Lori said as she leaned back on to the pillows.

"Well, if you feel his intentions are more than just taking you out on the water, let him know that's not what you want."

"What if it is what I want?"

"Then roll with it."

"Roll with it?"

"Yeah. What else can you do? You dont know what you're going to do until you're in that situation."

"I guess you're right."

"I'm always right. What time is he coming to get you?"

"10 in the morning."

"Well, I guess we better go to bed." Erin said as she stood up. She leaned down and kissed Lori on the cheek.

"Everything will work out. Maybe not how you want it too, but it will." She said as she pulled the covers up to her cheek. She smiled at Lori, and began to walk toward the door.



"This one?" Lori asked as she walked out of the closet she was occupying, in a bikini.

AJ and Erin were sitting on the bed helping her decide, they were down to the last bikini that she had with her, if this didnt work she was going to have turn to Erin's. It was a black string bikini. The top tied around the neck, and the back. The bottom tied on the hips, and rested nicely there.

"I like that one." Erin said with a smile.

"It looks hot. Nicky's gonna shit." AJ said smiling.

Erin hit him in shoulder, "What? I was just being honest.Damn." he said rubbing the place where she hit him.

"You can be honest without looking like you want to eat her." she said looking at him and motioning to Lori.

"I was not looking at her like I wanted to eat her."

"Yes, you were."

"Dont tell me how I was looking at someone, I think I would know."

"I think I would know too, considering I saw you."

Lori laughed and grabbed her shorts and tank top she was going to where, and put them on in the bathroom. They were still arguing, when she heard the door bell ring.

She poked her head out the door. "Hey guys?"

"What?" they both said as their heads turned toward Lori.

"You think one of you guys could go answer the door?"

AJ got up, "Allow me. Do you mind if I go answer the door, dear? Or do you want to be there in case I look like I want to eat whoever is at the door?" he said with sarcasm dripping with every word.

"Just go answer the damn door." Erin said, glaring at him.

AJ walked out shaking his head, and mumbling.

"So come out here and let me see." Erin said smiling at Lori, who's head was still out the door.

"Just a second." Lori said as she closed the door again. She grabbed a few bobby pins and pinned some hair back, and let the rest of her hair flow around her shoulders. She grabbed the beach bag, and threw the things that she would need into the bag.

"Ooo, I like the hair." Erin studied her for a moment, "Lose the tank." Erin said.

"Why?"

"We want you to look sexy. You can still keep it for later, but not right now." she said shaking her head.

Lori pulled the tank top over her head and put it into the bag. "What about now?"

"Hot. Come on, let's go downstairs."

Erin and Lori were talking as they came down the stairs and walked into the living room. She smiled as she and Nick made eye contact with each other. She looked around for a sign of Aaron, when she didnt see him, she looked back to Nick.

"Where's Aaron?"

"He had some other things that he had to do, but he says hi and he'll see you soon."

"Dont look at her, you might get accused of wanting to eat her." AJ said glaring at his wife.

Lori looked at him, "AJ, let it go. God you're like a kid."

Nick laughed, "You ready to go?"

Lori looked at Erin, and back to Nick, "Sure." Lori walked toward Nick, and took hold of his hand, and waved to Erin and AJ.

"Have fun." Erin said smiling at her mischeviously.

Lori glared at her, "Shut up." she said through clenched teeth. Now that Aaron wasnt going to be there, there was no telling what was going to happen. She just hoped she had enough self control. It seemed that when I came to Nick, she had none.


Lori stood beside Nick looking out over the ocean letting the wind blow through her hair. Nick drove them out about an hour away from the shore, and finally stopped.

"You hungry?" Nick asked her as he pulled off his shirt.

Lori looked over at him, "Yeah a little."

"There's some stuff in the refrigerator in the bottom. You remember where everything is right?"

How could she forget? They practically lived on this boat when they were together. They had made love on every part of this boat more than once. Shaking her head to clear her mind, she smiled and looked at Nick.

"Yeah. Do you want something?" She asked as she walked toward the door.

"Sure, just bring me back a water."


"I love it out here." Lori said as she curled into Nick's chest. He rubbed her shoulder, and placed his hand in hers. They were laying on the North end of the boat watching the sunset.

"Me too. One of these days, we'll buy a house. We'll be secluded from everyone else. Just you, me, and the ocean."

"That sounds nice. What about the guys though?" she asked smiling. She rolled over on top of him, and strattled him. She rested her back against his knees that he had raised up.

"They'll find us eventually." Nick said smiling as he reached up and traced her cheekbone with his finger.

Lori smiled, leaned down, and kissed him.


"Here ya go." Lori said as she handed him a bottle of water. She took a bite of her sandwich, and sat down.

"Is this the only boat you got now?" she asked swallowing what she had in mouth, as she bit into her sandwich again.

"No, I got a few others." he said as he sat down beside her.

"A lot of memories are on this boat, huh?" she asked looked up at him.

He smiled at her, "Yeah there are."

"I go out on my sister-in-law's boat that her parents have a lot." she said as she grabbed his water and took a drink.

"You might as well be a fish." Nick said laughing. For as long as he could remember Lori had always loved the ocean, but the weird thing about her was you could hardly get her into a pool. Even if it was one hundred ten degrees outside, she wouldn't get in. Take her to the beach though, you'd have to drag her away.


They had spent the day catching up, swimming, and Lori worked on her tan. Before they knew it the sun was setting. Lori had made them dinner with whatever Nick had. Which ended up being sandwiches, and a few beers that he had in his refrigerator.

Sitting on the edge of the boat watching the sunset, Lori was beginning to doubt the self control that she had. The day had been so wonderful, and the sunset was beautiful. The fact that they were on this boat, and she really had no where to go didnt help at all. She didnt want to end the day with a fight, but she also didn't want it to end on the wrong note either.

"Just roll with it." She sighed as she remembered what Erin had said to her the night before. She jumped, as she heard Nick come up behind her.

"You ok?"

"Sorry. I was just thinking."

Nick sat beside her, and really enjoyed the comfortable silence they were in. He was happy that the awkwardness of their situation was gone. He really missed her, and he was happy to have his best friend back. He couldnt deny the fact that he missed his girlfriend though. The fact that this boat held so many memories that only the two of them knew about was just, overwhelming. Everywhere he looked he could see the two of them back when everything was right. The way it should be.

"Do you remember the first day we met?" Nick asked.

Lori laughed, "Yeah. You were playing basketball. The ball rolled down to the sidewalk, and knocked me off my bike." Lori looked up at Nick, "I was so pissed at you. I remember telling you that the net wasn't the sidewalk."

"I felt so bad." Nick said laughing.

"Don't laugh about it. I still have that scar." Lori said as she lifted up her leg, and showed him the fait scar on her knee cap.

"It's barely even noticable." Nick said.

"I can see it! That's what counts." she said hitting him in the arm. "You scarred me for life, Carter."

Nick smiled weakly, and looked down. Lori immediately winced at the words that she used.

"Nick, I'm sorry. I didnt mean.."

"Hey, dont worry about it. I knew what you meant. It's just kind of ironic."

Lori smiled sympathetically, and placed a hand on his shoulder. "We're moving forward remember? How can we do that if we're stuck in what happened six years ago." She scooted closer to him, and wrapped her arm around him. "Do you know how different we were six years ago? Twenty or not, we were still immature kids."

Nick laughed, "It's amazing how much six years can change a person." He said as he wrapped an arm around her also.

"Yeah, it is." Lori said as she looked up at him. For the first time she saw how much the last six years had changed him. Just by looking into his eyes, she could tell he was a different man. A man who had made his mistakes, and paid the price for them willingly.

Nick could see past the hurt, and toughness Lori put on for show. He could see the Lori that he knew somewhere in there. The reason for her changes, he knew were because of him. The hurt that he put her through. Looking into her eyes he could see the hurtful memories, the pain of walking away from the only life she knew. He could feel her heart breaking all over again. He vowed from that moment on he would spend the rest of his life making it up to her. If only she would let him.

"I'm sorry."

Lori looked at him confused, "For what? Nick I told you..."

"For this." he said as he pulled her closer, and kissed her.