- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is something totally different compared to what I normally write. I would not want something like this to ever happen. Spir of the moment story. ENJOY!
‘It has to be done. It just has to be done.’

‘No, all you have to do is turn the car around. That is turning the steering wheel in a circular motion. Why aren’t you doing it?’

‘ I can’t. She has to be mine. Must be mine.’

He was watching her from a distance, trying to be warm in his cold vehicle, hands on the steering wheel. She was wearing a mini skirt. Thoughts kept battling throughout his mind.

‘How could she be mocking me with every move? It’s like she knows I’m here watching her and she is teasing me!’

He continued to watch her. She was standing outside the club, smoking a cigarette. Her red hair would blow abruptly in the breeze.

‘It can’t end like she wants it. If it’s gonna end, it’s gonna end my way!’

He revved up the car and turned on the lights. She saw his car and just stared. He pulled up to the curb and gave her a smile.

“ Hey Sugar. Wanna ride?”

She was wasted but still had a sense of who he was.

“ Why the hell would I want to do that, McLean?”

“Because I want you home safely and not get checked by a car in the street. That a problem, Michelle?”

She looked at him in slight confusion. Yes tonight was the best night. Without saying a word, she opened the door and got into the Mustang Convertible.

Don’t you wanna got for a ride
Just keep your hands inside
And make the most out of life
Now don’t you take it for granted


Without a moment’s hesitation, he floored it, causing the tires to squeal and smoke. A laugh and what appeared to be a smile ruptured from her face. At first he wanted to just let everything slide. It was all in that smile. The sexy mini skirt helped a little too. But then he remembered all that she had done to him. He loved her. He loved her more than life itself. Yet she seemed to take his love and kick it to the curb. Not tonight. Not ever again.

Life is like a mean machine
It made a mess out of me
It left me caught between
Like an angry dream I was stranded


“Why were you over in this neighborhood tonight?”

“Because I felt like it.” He could feel the blood begin to boil inside of him.

“ Liar. You were out seeking some company.”

“Believe me if it was company I was lookin’ for, it wouldn’t be with you babe.”

Seeming to be slowly coming out of the alcohol, he could see the hurt expression in her eyes.

“I see how it is, AJ. I thought you still loved me. You know I wouldn’t turn tricks on you.”

And I’m steady but I’m starting to shake
And I don’t know how much more I can take


‘Lying bitch! That’s all she is now. You’ve seen what she’s done, who she’s been with.’

‘But I love her! I would give my life for her. Even after everything she’s done.’

‘ You can’t give into the even can you? Pussy!’

He looked at her with blazing eyes. At that moment, she knew he knew everything.

“Baby, I won’t do it again. I take back everything I ever did. I didn’t know this would effect you this much.”

“ Well why shouldn’t it? Screwing around with any man you can get!”

This is it now
Everybody get down
This is all I can take
This is how a heart breaks
You take a hit now you feel it break down
Make you stay wide awake
This is how a heart breaks


He drove the car faster down the center streets, watching the lights flashing during the late hours. Taking any and every back road possible, he brought himself closer to the location and her to total confusion.

“ AJ, where are we going? I thought you were takin’ me home.”

“ Thought maybe we could just go for a little ride ya know. We always used to like to go for rides together.”

“ I still like to!” she stated with a strain of concern.

Rain was starting to fall in the car. The sting of the rain seemed to give him a sort of numbness of the reality to come.

“ AJ can we please put the top up?”

“ Michelle…I thought you always liked the rain in every shape and form?”

Don’t you wanna go for a ride
Down to the other side
Feel so good you could cry
Now won’t you do what I told you


He laughed inside just a little, knowing that she was in a little bit of pain. Only a small portion of emotion that he felt for her.

“What ever happened to us? Was I not giving you something? Please tell me!”

“ You’re smothering me! AJ I love spending time with you and being your girl but this is too much!”

“You used to love me, Michelle! Why don’t you love me? Why can’t you just say you loved me once?”

“ I just thought you knew! I didn’t think I had to tell you every day!” Mascara began to run down her cheeks. Her hair was starting to mat down.

“ But you just moved out. If you loved me, why did you move out?”

“I needed some time away. AJ, where are we going?”

I remember when you used to be shy
Yeah once we were so fine
You and I why you gotta make it so hard on me

And I’m sorry but it’s not a mistake
And I’m running but you’re getting away


“You’ll see when we get there.”

“I wanna go home. Can’t we just go back to my place?”

“ No Michelle! We are gonna get this worked out once and for all!”

He was making the uphill climb on the curving road. There were only a few minutes for him to make his move and her to make a decision before it was too late.

“What is there left to find out, AJ?”

“I need to know if there is anything between us anymore. Michelle, without you my life is worthless. I just need a straight up answer. I’ll put behind everything that you’ve done. Please…”

She looked him in the eyes. He searched them to see if there was any glimmer of hope or possibility.

“No AJ. I don’t think I can do this. I don’t…”

The rest of her words were drowned out with the elevation of noise coming from the engine. She had told him all that he needed to know.

‘See! She won’t even except that! Now how do you feel?’

‘Let’s do this’

You’re not the best thing that I knew
Never was never cared to much for all this hanging around
It’s just the same thing all the time
Never get what I want
Never get to close to the end of the line
You’re just the same thing that I knew
Back before the time when I was only for you


The car was as fast as it could possibly go. If he couldn’t have her, then no one could. He was getting closer and closer to the ridge. It would be just the right height that it should work out just as planned.

“AJ?! What are you doing?! You’re gonna get us both killed!” She screamed loudly, panicked expression on her face.

“EXACTLY!” he said with an evil grin.

She watched as he was about a mile away from a fence, which would be guarding the bottom of the ridge. In a last minute effort, she tried to think of what might stop him before they hit.

“AJ, I love you.”

“Too late”

This is how a heart breaks


Song: This Is How A Heart Breaks (Rob Thomas)