- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Feedback is always appreciate!
New Bride
Chapter 14
Gene reached his destination galloping across the gates. Hopping down his beloved horse Star he knocks on the door four times before he is greeted by an annoyed butler Martin. “I need to speak to Otreb, now”, demands Gene. Martin leads him inside to the foyer. “Please Sr. wait here, I will announce that you are here”. Martin says leaving the room.
Martin goes through the same way he came until he reaches his destination of a long corridor. He walks through the long hall that is decorated by faces of the past. Until he sees a big thick dark oak door with fancy design according to its owner. But to Martin if someone asks him they are right down ugly to say the least. He smirks at the description he thought of the doors when a vision of the past plays in front of him. As Lady Angella as a child with raven dark curly hair running free and giggling because she is running towards the same doors. Meanwhile the great Lady Eve went after her. He is brought out of his memory when he heard a clutter of things hitting the ground on the other side of the door.
Martin knocks but the only response he gets is a muffle and incoherent sounds. He takes the liberty and opens the door. Glancing around he sees that things are everywhere and Otreb in the middle of it lying in the floor. Martin goes quickly to his side and bends down and grabbing hold of Otreb’s arm. He places one arm around his neck to be able to balance himself and help Otreb get off the floor.
Back in the great room Gene is losing his patient and decides to go wondering around in the house. Which he knows by heart where to find Otreb the drunken fool, Gene goes into the hall and passes the entrance to encounter another hall where he knows that is going to take him directly to Otreb. He reaches the oak doors and enters the room. Gene is met by disgraceful sight of a drunken man and the butler trying to get him off the floor. Martin looks up and sees the visitor. “Sir I have asked you to wait in the great room” says Martin a bit exasperated and frustrated by the intrusion. “Ah! I see the Great Otreb is in no condition to receive me, nor hear what I have come to say. So you’ll have to do. Lady Angella is in my Master’s home” said Gene. Martin is surprised by the information that makes him frown. “Why haven’t you brought her with you?” asked Martin. Gene continues on ignoring his question “and hear me well, no harm has come to her” while he hope’s that it’s true Martin insists in knowing why he didn’t bring her home and he repeats the question again in a stern tone. “Why haven’t you brought her with you?” “Because she is in no position to travel” Gene replies to him. Gene sees that Martin is not satisfied with the answer “if your master has any concerns he can have a talk with the Duke”. He turns around to leave the room but halts at the threshold and says “you really care for her, more than her own father. I appreciate that. Don’t ever stop” with that statement Gene leaves the room and out of the house into the night.
Gene rides Star furiously, anxious to get home. He left Angella there with no protection. He is worried not for the Duke; it is more for the identities that roam the house hold. Taking to account the guest, Alexander was called into the house too. He is a bad omen for Lady Angella and the master is in no position tonight to prevent anything. Gene’s instincts of worry are dead on, for he doesn’t know the danger that soon awaits the Lady.
Angella’s frightening feeling doesn’t go away, as she debates on whether to open the door or not. “I came all this way I can not go back now. Who are you my love? I believe I will find my answers behind this door”. Angella says reaching for the knob.