- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm back sorry for the delay but my Beta was really bussy and could help out until tonight.  So, no further due, here is chapter 17 and please feedback is well appreciated!

Thanx HowieGirl for all the help...

 

New Bride

Chapter 17

  Gene carries her inside and goes directly to the side door that leads to the kitchen.  There he is met by an elderly woman that hurries to his side to assist him. Gene just nods and asks her to open the door to his chambers where she does.

  When they were safely inside the room she asks "what happened? Why is she here?  And why are you carrying her?" the woman says in nervous rush.  "Oh Mary I wish I knew what happened.  I was having a horrible feeling all night, like something was going to happen and this is it.  About what she is doing here, well she arrived a few minutes later of the master leaving for the night and demanding to speak to him".  At that Mary has to gasps and asking in horror "Oh no! Did the Master know?"  "Yes, he knows. They had an argument". He stops and a smile grace his face and continue saying "she is a feisty one. With bravery in her heart and she spoke to him like no other women has dared to speak to him or for neither that matter nor other man" says Gene.  "What the Master did after that?" asks Mary with concern for the young ones life.  Gene sees Mary's concerns in her eyes and to appease her mind by saying "don't worry, he loves her; she is the one".  "Well if she is the one we really have to keep an eye out for her life as well as the others.  Does she know? Asks Mary and Gene replies "no. but I'm afraid if her temper keep rising we can be..."  "Don't say it young one.  We are going to help her to be patient" says Mary to Gene with a reassuring smile.  "You always know what to say Mary, I love you old woman -I really do" says Gene. 

            Mary looking really close to Angella she notices for the first time the bruise that she has on the side of the face right on the cheek bone.  She gaps at the discovery and asks Gene with fear "do you think the master has done this?"  Mary asks pointing at Angella cheek.  He was about to answer when the door flew open and there is Howard not too please to see Angella there.  "How dare you move her without my permission?  Howard demands to Gene and he was about to answer when Mary says "Master Gene ..." Howard cut her off and call on Gene "GENE".  He is afraid and glances toward Angella to see her bruise cheek.  Gene replies " HOW DARE YOU?  YOU PROMISE NOT TO HARM HER AND I FIND HER CRYING OUTSIDE, RUNNING FOR HER LIFE" he yells getting in Howard's face.  Howard is taken back by Gene's bravery and passion of how he is defending Angella.  If he wasn't annoyed he would've smile at the sight instead he warns the young boy by calling is name sternly "Gene".  "No.  I won't back off woman" Gene says when Mary tries to pull him back.  "He lied to me, he said he wouldn't hurt her and what do I find?  A bruise on her face! You told me you love her" Gene growls in his face.

            His annoyance subsides when Gene tells him that there he asks concern "what bruise?" confusion covering his face while he ask.  Mary timidly and in a whisper says "the bruise she has on her face" pointing at Angella limb body that lay on the bed.  Howard tries to move closer but Gene doesn't budge and blocks his way.  He just blankly stares at him.  Mary speaks to Gene, "boy move out of the way for your own good.  Don't you see that he has nothing to do with her bruising?  You should know his sincere look at his face, LOOK!" says Mary to Gene more forcefully when Gene didn't comply.  There Gene looks and sees what Mary has seen there where he ask more to himself them for the others "who did this to her then?"  "Believe me boy when I say this I will find out who did this to her and they shall pay with their life".  While Howard moves to her side. 

He caresses her face "what a beautiful face just as I remember" he says to himself but Mary hears him and she begins to wonder "he remember her, I thought he met her a few months ago".

            Later that night Martin arrives unannounced at the Duke house.  Gene opens the door and says "yes" and let him enters the house.  Martin walks in and turns to face Gene and asks in a stern manner "where is Lady Angella?  I came to bring her home".  Gene was about to protest when Martin cuts him off "I came for her and I'm not leaving without her, so please be so kind and Sir and take me where she is".   Gene soon discovers that Martin won't be persuade so he gives up and says "follow me".  Which Martin did without a word, they cross various halls until they reaches a swinging door.  They walk through and there are at the kitchen.  Gene looks back and says "this way" leading Martin to a side door in the corner of the kitchen.  When he opens the door and sees Angella's body laying on the bed he became angry and scare and starts barking questions.  "How come she is here?  What happen?  Where is your Master?"  Meanwhile hovering over Angella but his questions came to halt when he notices her bruise face.  He is about to jump on Gene when moans are heard that comes from Angella.    Martin came to her side and asks her to open her eyes.  "Angella my girl open your eyes" Martin says worry.  She opens her eyes slowly, "Martin?" she says groggy.  "Yes, my lady girl it's me your Martin" while grabbing her hands.  She finally regains consciousness and Martin asks to be left alone with her; which Gene protest against it but Mary leads him outside saying "she is going to be alright boy let's leave them".  Martin asks her when they were alone "what happen to you child?  What were you thinking coming here alone and to a man's house no less?"  He says looking at her face waiting for an explanation where he sees her head falls down avoiding looking at his disappointment.  He is more a father to her than Otreb ever is to her.  "Child looks at me?  I am old but not a fool.  I know you love this man but he is an enigma to you and your curiosity have the best of you" he says hoping that she looks up at him. And it is perfect because she brings her casting eyes up to him with a shy smile.  "You know me well enough" says Angella when she finally faces him.  "Oh, child you don't remember how many mischievous  I had to cover for you in order to save you from punishments that would've come your way if your parents ever find out".  He says to her with a smile that he has on his lips.  Angella just nod at his confession and looks at his round face that has pitch back sad eyes but a gorgeous smile. 

            "Now child tell me how this happen?" pointing and slightly touching her cheek.  She yelps at his touch "ouch.  This happen when I was snooping around in the dungeon" Angella says explaining about her bruise. She continues saying "Did you knew that dungeon existed?  That's how it look like; well I got scare and ran out of there and tripped a fell where I hit my face with the steps" she says in a rush, where Martin just listen and it reveals Howard its not to blame.

            Meanwhile outside Mary and Gene listen and gaps at the discovery that she found about the dungeon that was reveals to know that their master wasn't responsible.  Martin let her finish and when she did then he told her that they'll be going home tonight.  "But Martin..."  "No Angella we should get back, it's not good for you to be here until you wed.  Until then you are at home and sleep at home.  Now shall we leave my girl?"  Ask Martin.  "Yes, Martin, your right we should leave" reply Angella a bit disappointed.  "Sorry Martin for disappointed you," says Angella while her eyes are cast down.

            Martin gets up and walks to the door and opens it where he encounters Mary and Gene's eyes.  "We are going home now; so tell your master thanks for taking care of her" says Martin walking away with Angella at his side.  She looks back to see Gene and Mary with smiles on their faces where she waves at them before leaving walking into the night through the side door of the house.